Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 11:26 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Yes, I do that also--if they are wearing a name tag.
It's amazing how people respond in a positive way when they are acknowledged on a level indicating that they actually have feelings and emotions.

It seems that many people aren't aware of this reality, or--if they are aware of it--they don't even attempt to treat others as human beings when they first meet them.

Made me think of this...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DWHHQ3Rz534

Old 05-24-2014, 11:29 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Lol. I remember when living in Kearney meant you were Irish or Scottish.
Hmm, mistyped Kearny.

Old 05-24-2014, 11:32 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Hmm, mistyped Kearny.
...and because nobody here in the NJ Forum is a mean or rude person, nobody pointed out your spelling error!

Old 05-24-2014, 11:37 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
...and because nobody here in the NJ Forum is a mean or rude person, nobody pointed out your spelling error!

You're all so sweet, but that's how Jersey people are.

I know how it's spelled, so I was surprised to see it misspelled in my own post. Old eyes and tiny phone keyboards don't mix.

Old 05-24-2014, 02:40 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,581,118 times
For those 2 or 3 posters who feel that business etiquette only matters in certain situations (or a certain level of economic status) and not others, I won't bother trying to reason with you. I gave three examples of diverse business interactions so it's surprising (or telling) that you felt the need to obsess over the Taco Bell incident when I didn't. Any legal establishment that provides a service for money is a "business" regardless of whether they sell burritos or luxury cars, at least in the USA, and is expected to provide a standard level of customer service. For anyone to try and argue around that and then insult Taco bell as if it's not a legitimate business is silly and unproductive. Have a good day.

Old 05-24-2014, 03:37 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
For those 2 or 3 posters who feel that business etiquette only matters in certain situations (or a certain level of economic status) and not others, I won't bother trying to reason with you. I gave three examples of diverse business interactions so it's surprising (or telling) that you felt the need to obsess over the Taco Bell incident when I didn't. Any legal establishment that provides a service for money is a "business" regardless of whether they sell burritos or luxury cars, at least in the USA, and is expected to provide a standard level of customer service. For anyone to try and argue around that and then insult Taco bell as if it's not a legitimate business is silly and unproductive. Have a good day.
Agreed, but just because places are "expected to" do things, doesn't mean they actually do. Plenty of businesses are run like $hit, fast food corporations or smaller establishments, and fact is some employees just don't care enough about making each and every customer happy. They just want their money. And they, as workers, also have to deal with a lot of bull$hit from the customers.

I have seen some places run much better than others. Maybe you just went to a Taco Bell, or wherever else, that was run poorly. Not every business in NJ, or anywhere, is run like the negative places you experienced.

Old 05-24-2014, 06:03 PM

414 posts, read 931,270 times
I'm from North Jersey (Hudson County) and currently live in South Jersey and to me the attitudes of the people here aren't drastically different as someone else pointed out.

People may be a bit more hurried and less likely to exchange pleasantries in North vs South, but I think that b/c many areas are more densely populated in places like Newark, Jersey City and folks are trying to keep on the move.

Here in the Southern half, most people aren't especially warm and friendly IMO (a few will want to randomly strike up a convo though...depends on the circumstances). The ones who are nice are PAID to be nice when you go to a store, mall, etc. Out in the street, complete strangers for the most part aren't saying "Howdy" ..Well, perhaps in the very rural parts like Penns Grove and Elmer.

I actually get suspicious if someone is TOO nice and put my guard up...lol

People are nosey as hell here though....which is what I don't generally see in places in Manhattan (and I love that!). NYC folks are focused on themselves and where they have to go ..although this may have changed somewhat after 9/11.

Old 05-24-2014, 07:38 PM

7,685 posts, read 6,196,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by efree973 View Post
Why are so many people in North Jersey so MEAN, ANGRY and RUDE?

I was asked this question today by a family member who is visiting from out of state. For me, I guess its just the culture of NJ in which we are raised.
A different take imo:

You mean "direct, straight and blunt".

You know something, I moved to Southwestern NJ almost 2 years ago and I miss those 3 things, one knows where they stand in North Jersey. Where I am now a good percentage of people are nicer BUT many of them are "two-faced" and more negative attributes - example: like having no word when they say for instance "I'll call you right back/get right back to you" and either don't get back to you for days or never as well not once an apology.

Old 05-25-2014, 07:36 PM

23,559 posts, read 17,227,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by efree973 View Post
Why are so many people in North Jersey so MEAN, ANGRY and RUDE?

I was asked this question today by a family member who is visiting from out of state. For me, I guess its just the culture of NJ in which we are raised.
Does your aunt get the same reaction elsewhere?

Old 05-27-2014, 08:35 AM

2,098 posts, read 3,525,189 times
In North Jersey:

Angry: Likely more than other regions of the country. It takes a certain amount of money and social status to be really "happy" in NNJ.

Mean: Depends. If you are at a broish bar in NNJ, probably. But in general do people go out of their way to be mean? Not really.

Rude: This I think relates the most to my experiences in NNJ. A lot of people that are in a rush or provide bad customer service could be considered "rude." A lot of smaller towns (while beautiful) have families that are in stuck in the theme of "keeping up with the jones" rather than building a true community feel. The famous reality show, "Real Housewives of NJ" doesn't help the reputation either.

The words that I really truly speak to Northern NJ are:

1. competitive
2. expensive
3. surly

I can't speak about South Jersey since I didn't grow up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey