Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 10:33 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,967,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Docendo Discimus,

First of all, I'm female. Second, it was Taco Bell not the ER at Christ Hospital. With the cashiers, the taco/burrito stuffers, and the shift manager, there are at least 10 people squeezed in the back area of a Taco Bell. They can barely even move around each other. The phone is not more than 10 feet away from them is required to be answered by the corporate office because it's a part of their customer service. Massive fail in trying to explain away all of my bad NJ experiences away. Don't tell me. Let me guess... you are either a JC parking meter maid, part of the NJ mob, or a NJ politician (not Christie who I like and respect - jury still out GW bridge-gate). In that case, of course underhanded ways are considered part and parcel to doing business in NJ.

First of all, congratulations on being female. We are the superior sex. Although, I must say...you are not representing us in a positive light right now with that petulant tone and helpless, martyr attitude.

Second, you consider a Taco Bell transaction "doing business in NJ"? LOL. Do you live in a wooden house with lots of springs and bells, with a big clock in the middle, that you pop out of every hour? Because that is CUCKOO.

Call me crazy, but I don't expect white glove treatment at Taco Bell or any other fast food joint. (If I want a klassy experience, I go someplace fancy. Like Applebees.) But when I'm craving rat burgers or chihuahua vomit burritos, yeah, I'll scrape together the coins I gather from my meter maid job (which, I will have you know, is only my cover while I'm in witness protection from the NJ mob) and head on over to the Castle or go and make a run for the border like you did. I guess it's a risk I'm willing to take. I cross myself, genuflect, grab one of the plastic salt shakers to throw salt over my shoulder, knock on laminate (there's no wood in those places) and pray that I didn't get a loogie or some special sauce in my order, if you catch my drift. If I don't contract hepatitis A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, M, N, O, or P the next day, I congratulate myself on a successful business transaction!

I've been to fast food chains in NJ, PA, NY, CT, RI, MA, VT, NH, ME, DE, MD, VA, WV, FL, GA, NC, MN, HI, AK and Canada. Guess what? They're all the same. If you think bad/indifferent/lazy/sloppy service is characteristic solely to Jersey City Taco Bells, I don't know what to do with you. Here's a life tip: when the genius at the register short changes you, go back with your receipt and ask for your money back. I don't know if you know this, but they can't send cash through the phone. There's no app for that.

Third, good call on Christie. He's not mean, angry or rude at all. He's a sensitive, soft spoken teddy bear of a gentleman.

Old 05-24-2014, 06:05 AM

88,613 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I really think its due to the mesh of cultures we have here.

If you notice,Nj has whole towns of ethnicities,for example:

Livingston=Asian
East Orange=Caribbean
Kearny=Hispanic
Nutley=Italian

If you live in a town and you fall outside the dominat ethnicity,you will be treated like an outsider.

In any event,I found South Jersey to be much worse than North Jersey,but then again I was in the Philly Metro,which has the meanest,nasties place i have been to ever: Philadelphia.
Lol. I remember when living in Kearney meant you were Irish or Scottish.

Old 05-24-2014, 06:46 AM

19,134 posts, read 25,345,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
is your family member rude? you get what you give.

+1

When customer service workers or other folks utter a cursory "How are you today?", I respond by enthusiastically saying, "I'm good. How are you?". Getting a response from somebody who acknowledges them on human terms tends to disarm people to a great extent, and as a result, I am rarely--if ever--given nasty or rude treatment by anybody in any state--including New Jersey.

Essentially, I find that people are usually treated in a manner than mirrors the way that they treat others, and I think that this might be some food for thought for the OP.

Last edited by Retriever; 05-24-2014 at 06:55 AM..

Old 05-24-2014, 07:07 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,716,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
When customer service workers or other folks utter a cursory "How are you today?", I respond by enthusiastically saying, "I'm good. How are you?". Getting a response from somebody who acknowledges them on human terms tends to disarm people to a great extent, and as a result, I am rarely--if ever--given nasty or rude treatment by anybody in any state--including New Jersey.
that's a good one. now we can give tips to the OP so he/she can share them with his/her family member so they can be liked by people. my tip is to always use the other person's name (if you know it). the most beautiful sound in the world to someone is their own name. so if they have a name tag or introduce themselves to you, say their name when speaking to them.

Old 05-24-2014, 07:15 AM

19,134 posts, read 25,345,191 times
Quote:
my tip is to always use the other person's name (if you know it). the most beautiful sound in the world to someone is their own name. so if they have a name tag or introduce themselves to you, say their name when speaking to them.
Yes, I do that also--if they are wearing a name tag.
It's amazing how people respond in a positive way when they are acknowledged on a level indicating that they actually have feelings and emotions.

It seems that many people aren't aware of this reality, or--if they are aware of it--they don't even attempt to treat others as human beings when they first meet them.

Old 05-24-2014, 07:23 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,078,794 times
I'm with George Carlin (a true old school New Yorker):

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xJZ6ixiVgCs&feature=kp

Old 05-24-2014, 07:31 AM

137 posts, read 183,130 times
NJ is one of the most expensive places to live and by and large wages are not keeping up with inflation and cost of living.

People are stressed and many are on psych drugs and drink daily. Commutes are rough and taxes are crazy.

At the same time - NJ has amazing quality of life and access to the best jobs, beaches, hiking, mountains, lakes, wineries, brew pubs, great schools etc.

It is just a lot to deal with. Some can and some cannot.

Old 05-24-2014, 08:20 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,254,000 times
Quote:
that's a good one. now we can give tips to the OP so he/she can share them with his/her family member so they can be liked by people. my tip is to always use the other person's name (if you know it). the most beautiful sound in the world to someone is their own name. so if they have a name tag or introduce themselves to you, say their name when speaking to them.
I've always done that too and my customer service experiences tend to go well. But be sincere about it.

Old 05-24-2014, 08:46 AM

9,008 posts, read 13,846,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post

+1

Essentially, I find that people are usually treated in a manner than mirrors the way that they treat others, and I think that this might be some food for thought for the OP.

Many times I am not greeted at all by customer service,but that depends.
I do get more greetings if I go to a store in a suburban area vs urban area.
It also depends on the store.
Of course,I do not get a "Hello" from workers at Walmart,but I think that comes with the territory.

I really think the Walmart "mean" is nationwide.

Old 05-24-2014, 10:42 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,716,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrieros81 View Post
I've always done that too and my customer service experiences tend to go well. But be sincere about it.
haha, ive had to tell some of my employees that they need to say they are sorry and actually sound like they mean it. just saying it isn't enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey