Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 06:44 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,753,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aedra View Post
Anyone who says there isn't a central NJ either isn't from NJ or has never lived in central NJ. Central NJ is a real thing.

There's a wikipedia page and craigslist page for Central NJ. Those who say Central NJ doesn't exist are in denial. Me personally I consider anything below Freehold and Trenton to be South Jersey. Anything from Keansburg to below on the shoreline is considered Jersey Shore. Atlantic City for example could be considered both Jersey Shore and South Jersey but you would probably just call Long Branch on the Jersey Shore.

Anything above Woodbridge is North Jersey. We have four regions. North, Central, South, Jersey Shore. Debating about it is rather ridiculous.
As someone who lives in what you would call the "Jersey Shore" most of us here don't use that term, we jsut call our towns central jersey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2018, 07:44 AM

538 posts, read 734,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
I'm surprised the region near Staten Island considers itself Central. I figured that was unquestionably northern.
That to me was the key to realizing that Central Jersey was really just broken off of NNJ. If the general concept of NNJ vs SNJ is NYC vs Philly influence then I'm pretty sure that a town like Perth Amboy which has a freaking bridge to New York City in it doesn't have much of a case for not being in the North. Making Central a subset of the North.

I certainly don't feel like I've traveled to a whole different part of the state if I end up in Edison or Asbury Park. All of these 'Central Jersey' towns are a part of the NY Metro area regardless of if they like it or not.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...litan_Area.png

Old 07-11-2018, 08:20 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,758,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qrysdonnell View Post
That to me was the key to realizing that Central Jersey was really just broken off of NNJ. If the general concept of NNJ vs SNJ is NYC vs Philly influence then I'm pretty sure that a town like Perth Amboy which has a freaking bridge to New York City in it doesn't have much of a case for not being in the North. Making Central a subset of the North.

I certainly don't feel like I've traveled to a whole different part of the state if I end up in Edison or Asbury Park. All of these 'Central Jersey' towns are a part of the NY Metro area regardless of if they like it or not.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...litan_Area.png
Central Jersey runs a continuum from being more closely aligned with South vs. more closely aligned with North. I’d call Bordentown Central Jersey, but it skews more South than North. Same with a place like Forked River. On the other hand, Central Jersey also has New Brunswick, which is clearly more North than South. Same with Belmar and Princeton. Trenton is really tricky and almost seems equal parts North and South. Same could be said for Jackson. Perth Amboy is absolutely North Jersey. The very southern part of Warren County, Phillipsburg and south, I would call Central, though it skews more North if you have to pick.

Draw two lines. One from Phillpsburg to South Amboy. The other from Florence to Ocean Twp. Everything in between is Central Jersey.

Old 07-11-2018, 08:25 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,739,474 times
i saw some stupid video recently on this with the governor and one of those comedy central "funny" guys. growing up, we always referred to "central jersey" as the area where we lived. that was marlboro.

whether or not it exists seems like a strange question to me. what is required for an area to exist? what makes north jersey or south jersey exist?

Old 07-11-2018, 08:33 AM

668 posts, read 472,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
I grew up in Central Jersey. Generally the region is between 287 and 195. The northern border is South Plainfield. And Jackson anchors the southern border. Obviously the northern and eastern parts of the region are oriented toward NYC. The western area is geared towards Philly. And the south is Jersey Shore.

Grew up in "central" and to me, 287 is North Jersey. Never quite figured out why it's considered Central.

Mercer & Monmouth, maybe a small part of Middlesex -- central.

Or, go old school back when we had 2 zip codes. 609 was south. 201 was north. Simple.

Old 07-11-2018, 08:39 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,758,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i saw some stupid video recently on this with the governor and one of those comedy central "funny" guys. growing up, we always referred to "central jersey" as the area where we lived. that was marlboro.

whether or not it exists seems like a strange question to me. what is required for an area to exist? what makes north jersey or south jersey exist?
Cultural differences make them exist. You think it sounds strange to talk that way about NJ, but would you say there is no difference between, say, Upstate NY and the NYC metro area? How about PA? “Philly in one end, Pittsburgh on the other, and Alabama in the middle.” Certainly Northern VA around DC is different from the rest of the state. CA, FL, you name it. People in MA consider bi differences between Western Mass and Eastern Mass, as they call them. How about speaking about North vs. South for the whole country?

Old 07-11-2018, 09:03 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,739,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
Cultural differences make them exist. You think it sounds strange to talk that way about NJ, but would you say there is no difference between, say, Upstate NY and the NYC metro area? How about PA? “Philly in one end, Pittsburgh on the other, and Alabama in the middle.” Certainly Northern VA around DC is different from the rest of the state. CA, FL, you name it. People in MA consider bi differences between Western Mass and Eastern Mass, as they call them. How about speaking about North vs. South for the whole country?
i said that i think it is strange to question other people's opinion that a "region" exists. who cares? its all very blurry and mostly bs but its not worth debating.

i thought i lived in "central jersey" because geographically it is in the center of nj. i really dont know if im culturally different than northern or southern jersey people. i assume i am probably not. i dont see the difference in sports team preferences or how you refer to subs or breakfast meat as a culturally significant thing. but i cant say that i really have given it much thought.

Old 07-11-2018, 09:53 AM

88,649 posts, read 84,943,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
I'm surprised the region near Staten Island considers itself Central. I figured that was unquestionably northern.
Not to me. I grew up in Bergen County, a few miles from the Rockland County line. Now I'm in Monmouth County. I think I'm in South Jersey because there is an ocean nearby, but I know I'm technically not, so yes, this is Central Jersey. This isn't "north" to me when I have to drive 60 miles north to visit my mother.

You know, one of the first things I noticed when I moved here and walked in the woods was the absence of rocks in the ground. In north Jersey, the ground is studded with rock from the edge of the glaciers of the last ice age. The old Dutch farmers pulled them out of the fields and built unmortared stone walls everywhere. They aren't down here.

I think that's where North Jersey ends, where the rocks end.

The Mighty Queen has declared it so.

Old 07-11-2018, 10:02 AM

668 posts, read 472,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Not to me. I grew up in Bergen County, a few miles from the Rockland County line. Now I'm in Monmouth County. I think I'm in South Jersey because there is an ocean nearby, but I know I'm technically not, so yes, this is Central Jersey. This isn't "north" to me when I have to drive 60 miles north to visit my mother.

You know, one of the first things I noticed when I moved here and walked in the woods was the absence of rocks in the ground. In north Jersey, the ground is studded with rock from the edge of the glaciers of the last ice age. The old Dutch farmers pulled them out of the fields and built unmortared stone walls everywhere. They aren't down here.

I think that's where North Jersey ends, where the rocks end.

The Mighty Queen has declared it so.

That makes sense ... south Jersey does have sandier soil, way less rocks then north....

Old 07-11-2018, 10:05 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,874,668 times
Okay then, let's get out there with some paint and put some lines in the dirt to make this official!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey