Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 10:31 AM

123 posts, read 181,567 times

Advertisements

Central Jersey is Little India.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2018, 10:40 AM

538 posts, read 734,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Not to me. I grew up in Bergen County, a few miles from the Rockland County line. Now I'm in Monmouth County. I think I'm in South Jersey because there is an ocean nearby, but I know I'm technically not, so yes, this is Central Jersey. This isn't "north" to me when I have to drive 60 miles north to visit my mother.

You know, one of the first things I noticed when I moved here and walked in the woods was the absence of rocks in the ground. In north Jersey, the ground is studded with rock from the edge of the glaciers of the last ice age. The old Dutch farmers pulled them out of the fields and built unmortared stone walls everywhere. They aren't down here.

I think that's where North Jersey ends, where the rocks end.

The Mighty Queen has declared it so.
Here's your map then: http://www.wcrhawkwatch.com/geology/howold.gif

Old 07-11-2018, 10:41 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,104,566 times
I would say that people use the term Central Jersey instead of South Jersey, because South Jersey implies ... not necessarily that you are 'rural' (not using the word that first came to mind), but that you at least know a lot of people who are.

Like where I grew up in Northern NJ, I didn't know anybody who hunted or wore camo clothes, or went off-roading with ATVs.

I am aware there's areas up there like Sussex County and Warren County where that kind of stuff goes on, but its much more prevalent down south.

Also the further down south you get, the more likely you are to run into people who have almost never been to NYC.

It really changes significantly.

Old 07-11-2018, 10:49 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,880,725 times
I live in Central Jersey and use that term because it tells people I live somewhere in the middle of the state. North Jersey could mean the Delaware Water Gap and South Jersey could mean Atlantic City, and those are nowhere near where I live. It gives a general description.

Has nothing to do with stigmas or anything like that. I don't even know what those are. Ha!

Old 07-11-2018, 10:57 AM

2,284 posts, read 3,941,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marehoodlum View Post
Grew up in "central" and to me, 287 is North Jersey. Never quite figured out why it's considered Central.

Mercer & Monmouth, maybe a small part of Middlesex -- central.

Or, go old school back when we had 2 zip codes. 609 was south. 201 was north. Simple.
I guess it depends on what part of central NJ you're from.

Old 07-11-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I would say that people use the term Central Jersey instead of South Jersey, because South Jersey implies ... not necessarily that you are 'rural' (not using the word that first came to mind), but that you at least know a lot of people who are.

Like where I grew up in Northern NJ, I didn't know anybody who hunted or wore camo clothes, or went off-roading with ATVs.

I am aware there's areas up there like Sussex County and Warren County where that kind of stuff goes on, but its much more prevalent down south.

Also the further down south you get, the more likely you are to run into people who have almost never been to NYC.

It really changes significantly.
Those activities occurred in Central NJ in the 1960s/70s before the area became densely developed.

Old 07-11-2018, 11:12 AM

668 posts, read 471,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
Those activities occurred in Central NJ in the 1960s/70s before the area became densely developed.

There are parts of Mercer County and Middlesex where these things still occur.

Old 07-11-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marehoodlum View Post
There are parts of Mercer County and Middlesex where these things still occur.
I would've thought the fussy New Yorkers and yuppies would've put an end to those activities.

Old 07-11-2018, 11:57 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,318,865 times
Generally this.

Though I bet Union County would be debated here. I've heard arguments both ways for Union County, and don't have a strong opinion myself.

I also know people who would dispute Monmouth and Mercer.

Old 07-11-2018, 12:13 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,756,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Generally this.

Though I bet Union County would be debated here. I've heard arguments both ways for Union County, and don't have a strong opinion myself.

I also know people who would dispute Monmouth and Mercer.
Union County as Central Jersey is complete nonsense. That’s not even debatable. Also, I think the upper half of Ocean is Central...Toms River, Lakewood, and Seaside Heights do not feel South at all to me.

I’d nitpick by giving very small slivers of Burlington near Trenton and Warren from Phillpsburg down to Central, and upper Middlesex above the Raritan River to North.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey