Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2020, 10:38 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
And yet still no information about the quality of tests available and their efficacy.
Like some others, I am skeptical about the accuracy of these tests. A very close friend is a Critical Care Nurse, and he has been assigned to the All-COVID unit for the past 2 months. He became ill after a week or so, with shortness of breath, headache, fever, and fatigue. After 2 weeks at home, he was cleared to return to work.

Earlier this week, he had blood drawn for an antibody test, and the results came back as negative. While this outcome is certainly possible, I am just a bit skeptical that someone who has been exposed for 14 hours per day to COVID patients, and who himself became sick, would test negative for COVID antibodies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2020, 10:47 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,546,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Like some others, I am skeptical about the accuracy of these tests. A very close friend is a Critical Care Nurse, and he has been assigned to the All-COVID unit for the past 2 months. He became ill after a week or so, with shortness of breath, headache, fever, and fatigue. After 2 weeks at home, he was cleared to return to work.

Earlier this week, he had blood drawn for an antibody test, and the results came back as negative. While this outcome is certainly possible, I am just a bit skeptical that someone who has been exposed for 14 hours per day to COVID patients, and who himself became sick, would test negative for COVID antibodies.
Thank you. I thought as much. I'll wait. Also staying home this weekend, since the shore looks like it's going to be a petrie dish and I was looking forward to my first lobster roll of the season (yes, I know I can get it closer to home; not the same thing). Oh well. That, too, will have to wait.

Old 05-22-2020, 11:18 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Thank you. I thought as much. I'll wait. Also staying home this weekend, since the shore looks like it's going to be a petrie dish and I was looking forward to my first lobster roll of the season (yes, I know I can get it closer to home; not the same thing). Oh well. That, too, will have to wait.
i like the lobster roll at beach tavern in monmouth beach. it would be nice if i could eat that on their seating outside this weekend

Old 05-22-2020, 11:28 AM

1,582,000 cases
93,000 deaths
5.89%
not < 1%

Old 05-22-2020, 11:41 AM

Quote:
1,582,000 cases
93,000 deaths
5.89%
not < 1%
so 1.582 million covers everyone that contracted covid-19?

Old 05-22-2020, 11:50 AM

4,029 posts, read 3,639,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
so 1.582 million covers everyone that contracted covid-19?

Not even close. What’s the point of getting tested for something there’s no cure for?

I know the question was rhetorical but just had to be clear that the number of cases is probably MUCH higher than the number she said.

Old 05-22-2020, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Not even close. What’s the point of getting tested for something there’s no cure for?

I know the question was rhetorical but just had to be clear that the number of cases is probably MUCH higher than the number she said.
im not sure why someone would post numbers that she believes arent accurate (unless she belives that the numbers are accurate).

Old 05-22-2020, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post

Absolutely. And because there's no way to accurately count the cases OR deaths, it's moot. But it's still more than the "less than 1%" nonsense that's being spewed.

Old 05-22-2020, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Absolutely. And because there's no way to accurately count the cases OR deaths, it's moot. But it's still more than the "less than 1%" nonsense that's being spewed.
yeah, its moot. that is why we are posting numbers that we dont even believe are accurate. i do that all the time. post numbers that i dont even believe are true. perfectly reasonable to do.

Old 05-22-2020, 12:09 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
I will go to the beach after the weekend is over, on a weekday. Not going this weekend, that's for sure.

Already I went to the park too late today. Didn't get there until 11:15. It's usually been quieter at any point in the morning because "school" is still going on, but I guess that's not the case any more. It was infested with families and children with bicycles, strollers, etc. Fortunately, they tend to stay on the paved paths and not the wooded paths, where I go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey