Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 05:30 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,887,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyBQuilts View Post
Cathy, glad you found good food down there.

Looks like I might be sending DH down for a visit and check out Alamo - possibly the end of April.

We are both tired of the COLD winters - and I can handle looking at snow on the mountains, but am tired of driving in it!
Cindy, you'll be lucky to see snow on Sierra Blanca Peak, about 40 miles from the house here. Alamo had no winter at all....and I am dreading the h*** out of the coming summer.

I just hope it isn't as hot as I'm afraid it's going to be.

But I can understand being tired of driving in it and probably shoveling it all of the time.

Anyway, hope you find what you're looking for!!

:-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilegal View Post
Cathy,
If you approve I am sure Kent will like it... The hotter the better for him.
We may have to do lunch in a few weeks
Jane
Not particularly hot, but a nice kick....I guess I'm going to have to start carrying my own crushed chile and adding it.

But dang...finally, somebody gets it!!!!

Old 04-01-2008, 05:39 PM

146 posts, read 440,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Cindy, you'll be lucky to see snow on Sierra Blanca Peak, about 40 miles from the house here. Alamo had no winter at all....and I am dreading the h*** out of the coming summer.

I just hope it isn't as hot as I'm afraid it's going to be.

But I can understand being tired of driving in it and probably shoveling it all of the time.

Anyway, hope you find what you're looking for!!

:-)
Cathy, I've been "lurking" here for several months - since I started checking out Alamo as a place to relocate. It seems to have everything that we're looking for (including friendly people, as evidenced by this forum). As long as it doesn't get too humid we'd be ok. We have scooters, and would take some rides to cool off!

Old 04-01-2008, 07:14 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,025,627 times
Quote:
Cathy, I've been "lurking" here for several months - since I started checking out Alamo as a place to relocate. It seems to have everything that we're looking for (including friendly people, as evidenced by this forum). As long as it doesn't get too humid we'd be ok. We have scooters, and would take some rides to cool off!
Cindy,
Glad you are thinking of Alamo. Its a great town, and I am from the midwest - humidity central... YUK.. We do not have that in Alamo. If it gets up to 40% the locals are suffering - but then I do too..LOL
And a trip up in the Mts on your scooters would be great. Its about 20 degrees less up there in the summer.
Please ask away questions.
Jane

Old 04-01-2008, 07:36 PM

Quote:
What humidity...? LOL!!!

The humidity here now is 16%......and it does occasionally get close to 40%, but--as I understand it--that's not common!

The air is nice and dry....and the nights cool off just wonderfully......

Old 04-01-2008, 08:28 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,025,627 times
Cindy,
with your name I am thinking you do quilts??? There is a nice quilt guild here and also a good quilt shop. I do machine quilting, so yes I quilt a lot..
Are you coming down with your DH? in April???
Jane

Old 04-01-2008, 10:07 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,640,986 times
Quote:
We have scooters, and would take some rides to cool off!
Well Cindy here's a nice 6 minute video of a couple of ''Scooters'' cruising around in the sacramento mountains from Sunspot to Cloudcroft about 25 minutes from Alamogordo. Hope you enjoy.
See Lessdeth69 Ride in Cloudcroft, NM 2 of 2 (broken link)

Old 04-02-2008, 06:28 AM

146 posts, read 440,654 times
Hi everyone... unfortunately, I won't be able to make it down with DH when he comes. He will be bringing our Sheltie with him for company. I have to work, and can't take that particular time off. He's retired, but I'm not quite ready for that - until we relocate.

Chiligal - yes, I quilt! Love it. One of the things I had scheduled is to go to Paducah, KY and take a quilt class on the 20th of this month. Can't quite stay long enough for the AQS show, but am getting together with about 20 friends for the class. Prior to the class, I'm on vaca. to the Carribean, so can't take more vacation time.

I'd like to get more into mid-arm or long-arm quilting, and am thinking of maybe doing that when I get down there.

6'3 - thanks for the link, I'm excited to see it, but can't do video at work, so we will check it out together when I get home.

DH uses VA facilities for health care, and that was how I found out about Alamo - close to facilities but not the "big city"...

Old 06-01-2008, 10:50 AM

6 posts, read 18,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas.cl View Post
Ok so I checked out the menu at Pizza Patio and Carina's? well this other Italian Restaurant I was talking about and it doesn't sound too bad. We ended up eating at Chili's though haha.

*Claudia*
About 2 months ago, I went to Pizza Patio, and ordered a slice of peperoni pizza ($3.65 w/tax) It was a soggy, nasty mess that you couldn't even pick up. There is nobody in town who makes really good pizza the way it is supposed to be made, and people here truthfully don't know what good pizza is.

Other than the pizza I make at home, the only decent pizza I've had since I've lived in the state for 5 years, was Pizzeria Uno in Las Cruces. There may be decent pizzerias in Santa Fe-Alb, but I haven't sampled them.

As for Alamo Grill, I've been there too as well within the last 5 weeks. One time had the mexicana steak plate, and it tasted OK, but the meat was tough, and chewy, loaded with gristle, and had to spit most of it out. The second time was chicken tacos, and they were ok, nothing to brag about. The chips aren't hot, and fresh, and appeared to be of the bagged variety, nothing fresh made. The salsa was ok, again I've had way better. Every restaurant here puts salsa in such tiny little "finger bowls", after a 1/2 doz chips, it's gone, and you have to constantly ask for more. Don't people here know what a mocajete is? That's what salsa "should" be served in.

If you're looking to jones over good food in NM, Alamogordo definitely isn't the place.

I had the opportunity to eat at Nellies in Cruces about 5 weeks ago. A very small place, but the food was OK, I won't say great, but it was indeed edible, thier green chile with meat was tender, tasty, typical new mexican fare, service was very poor though, waiting for 15 minutes just to get a soda. Luckily I got in, and only waited about two minutes for a table. After that, while I ate at my table, I was looking at the backsides of other patrons waiting to get a table, and I'm not particularly fond of feeling like I'm being shoved up against a wall, and getting an eye level view of somebody's ass while I eat.

Maybe next time in Cruces, I'll try Las Posta?

I did have the opportunity to glimpse at the new Italian restaurant's menu, but after looking at it, didn't feel compelled to dine there. Again, if I want real Italian Food, I'll make it-eat it at home.

Another place I sampled in the last month here in Alamo, was the new Rocket Chinese National Buffet, or whatever it is called. They had just opened about a week, and many items from the menu they could not even make, being out of this, and that, and when a Chinese Restaurant is out of Bok Choy Celery and/or Peapods, they shouldn't even have the gall to be in business.

I then decided to try thier buffet, and the food was cold, dried out, and absolutely horrible. I paid for my soda, and walked out, and I'll never return.

Even Wok Inn, has turned into a joke, with many items not even available on the menu. I'm sorry, but my attitude is, they are supposed to be there for me, and not the other way around. If things have gotten so bad with the times, and they wish to be so cheap with what they sell and won't sell to the public, then maybe they should consider closing thier doors as well? I won't miss them.

Part of the problem here is the people. Out of 100 diners, how many would you think would order a dish such as Scallops, and Vegetables? Or order a Duck Dish? Or Sushi? Maybe one if lucky?

Even with the German AF, this town could not support a german deli, a german-austrian restaurant, greek, japanese, chinese, polish, as the masses only want cheap eats, and are not very particular. It's why places like eddies burritos does such good business. $3 or so dollars, and they got lunch-dinner.

I hear as well, Mariscos shut its doors. Just as well, they were quite bad the last two times I dined there some months ago.

Sorry for the rants, but I don't prefer to candy coat what this town lacks. About the one thing this town doesn't lack, is screwheads, and dopers who evidently go door to door at night, robbing people's cars for thier belongings, stealing equipment, and building supplies (copper) from contractors-businesses, I understand there's 3-6 drive by shootings a month here, but this never gets put in the paper. Mark

Last edited by Markd51; 06-01-2008 at 10:58 AM..

Old 06-01-2008, 11:00 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,613,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
What humidity...? LOL!!!

The humidity here now is 16%......and it does occasionally get close to 40%, but--as I understand it--that's not common!

The air is nice and dry....and the nights cool off just wonderfully......

I bet your nights won't cool off wonderfully in about a week or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico