Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 05:49 PM

172 posts, read 389,637 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry but what does Brazil have anything to do with Louisiana? Doesn't most of the "New World" have three races?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 06:16 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicoz View Post
I'm sorry but what does Brazil have anything to do with Louisiana? Doesn't most of the "New World" have three races?
Did you skip the past few posts?

Old 01-23-2012, 07:25 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,035,334 times
Living in Puerto Rico, I also find some vague similarities in the way of life, the attitudes of people, just the general flavor of the place. It has been said that New Orleans is the northernmost Caribbean city. Believe me, come down here and then travel to countries further south and you will get the same feeling.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:15 PM

73,024 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
Living in Puerto Rico, I also find some vague similarities in the way of life, the attitudes of people, just the general flavor of the place. It has been said that New Orleans is the northernmost Caribbean city. Believe me, come down here and then travel to countries further south and you will get the same feeling.
I've been to New Orleans, so I could understand. I have family there.

Interesting that you mention Puerto Rico. There are a group of people in Louisiana called Islenos. They are the descendants of people who immigrated from the Canary Islands of Spain. Some still speak Spanish. The Spanish that they speak sounds somewhat similar to Spanish spoken in Puerto Rico.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:09 PM

To me, New Orleans is this. Geographically, it is like Amsterdam and Venice. Alot of canals and constantly under siege from nature. Somehow, it keeps existing. Culturally, it feels like a mix of Brazil and the Francophone portions of the Caribbean(Haiti, Martinique, Guadeloupe). Architecturally, it is like the Caribbean, French, and Mediterranean styles. New Orleans is many things to many people. To me, it is like this place unlike anything else. It is in the South. It's considered Southern. However, it is like something else. Nothing like I've seen anywhere else. It has even been called Hoboken on the Gulf(more to do with the Yat dialect that is considered similar to the Brooklyn dialect).

Old 01-23-2012, 10:15 PM

Actually Haiti is not "Francophone", but it is an ex-French colony. Haitians speak Creole which is an African language, not a dialect of French. Martinique and Guadeloupe are both still French colonies and yes they are Francophone.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Actually Haiti is not "Francophone", but it is an ex-French colony. Haitians speak Creole which is an African language, not a dialect of French. Martinique and Guadeloupe are both still French colonies and yes they are Francophone.
Louisiana also has its own version of Creole.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:10 PM

You know what else is strange about the Italo-Philadelphian accent? They pronounce "dee" as "day" and "day" as "dee".

Old 01-24-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
You know what else is strange about the Italo-Philadelphian accent? They pronounce "dee" as "day" and "day" as "dee".
Even more interesting, Louisiana(and specifically New Orleans) had more Italians than any other place in the USA before Ellis Island opened up. The Italians came in through New Orleans. http://www.jstor.org/pss/4232474

Yat dialect(which sounds very close to the northeastern working class dialect) developed from alot of Italians, Irish, and other immigrants in the New Orleans area.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:39 PM

Strangely a lot of the Irish Americans (born here) in my area still have an Irish-sounding accent. But the Irish accent seems a lot more American than British, not counting spelling. In fact I think it would be most appropriate to compare it to a Canadian accent. Perhaps this is because the Irish never really spoke English until around the same time as the American Revolution. I'm not sure why or how the Irish/Gaelic language really started to die out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans