Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2015, 11:10 AM

170 posts, read 315,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by babydoll7304 View Post
LEt us know what happens when you go to sign the lease!
Will do! I'm heading over after work today, so I'll update tonight. Did you notice anything unusual in the lease terms that I should keep an eye out for?

Old 03-19-2015, 12:32 PM

9 posts, read 18,196 times
After selection. They allow "life events" to alter your application. Pregnancy is one of them and we are having twins.

Old 03-19-2015, 02:37 PM

200 posts, read 374,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redomb2121 View Post
After selection. They allow "life events" to alter your application. Pregnancy is one of them and we are having twins.
Congrats!!!

Old 03-19-2015, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by croquemme View Post
Will do! I'm heading over after work today, so I'll update tonight. Did you notice anything unusual in the lease terms that I should keep an eye out for?
No - the lease terms seem very standard, and honestly, even if there was something you wanted to change, you are likely unable to do it since it is a take-it or leave it, non-negotiable type of situation (as many leases are). Just make sure your information is correct -- the apartment, duration of lease, etc. Most of the other stuff is very standard documents!! Good luck!!!

Old 03-19-2015, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babydoll7304 View Post
No - the lease terms seem very standard, and honestly, even if there was something you wanted to change, you are likely unable to do it since it is a take-it or leave it, non-negotiable type of situation (as many leases are). Just make sure your information is correct -- the apartment, duration of lease, etc. Most of the other stuff is very standard documents!! Good luck!!!
Thanks! It will be refreshing to sign a normal lease. My current landlord has a crazy list of rules about cleanliness ("Tenant must clean shower curtain after every use." Uhh, no. Nobody's going to do that), noise ("Tenant will not slam doors when entering or exiting the apartment."), etc.

Old 03-19-2015, 06:47 PM

103 posts, read 230,668 times
Quote:
Thanks! It will be refreshing to sign a normal lease. My current landlord has a crazy list of rules about cleanliness ("Tenant must clean shower curtain after every use." Uhh, no. Nobody's going to do that), noise ("Tenant will not slam doors when entering or exiting the apartment."), etc.
Yes, let us know how it goes! My landlord also has a bunch of ridiculous rules.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopamineDreams View Post
Yes, let us know how it goes! My landlord also has a bunch of ridiculous rules.
It was a lot of paperwork--we were there, reading through the lease and all its riders, for like an hour and a half--but the rules didn't seem too crazy. They have the 80% carpet rule, but supposedly it's not strictly enforced unless your neighbors complain about noise. No rollerblading in the halls--not exactly a dealbreaker. The weirdest rule I noticed was that whatever window treatments you hang need to be lined in white. But apparently they're not strictly enforcing that one, either; my leasing rep checked with someone, and they said, "Just don't hang a flag in your window."

So, we signed everything and handed in our checks. Now we just need to wait for the countersigned leases, and to make arrangements about move-in dates. Fingers crossed the construction stays on schedule.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:46 PM

8 posts, read 14,177 times
Quote:
It was a lot of paperwork--we were there, reading through the lease and all its riders, for like an hour and a half--but the rules didn't seem too crazy. They have the 80% carpet rule, but supposedly it's not strictly enforced unless your neighbors complain about noise. No rollerblading in the halls--not exactly a dealbreaker. The weirdest rule I noticed was that whatever window treatments you hang need to be lined in white. But apparently they're not strictly enforcing that one, either; my leasing rep checked with someone, and they said, "Just don't hang a flag in your window."

So, we signed everything and handed in our checks. Now we just need to wait for the countersigned leases, and to make arrangements about move-in dates. Fingers crossed the construction stays on schedule.
what move in dates have they quoted you (most recently) if you don't mind my asking?

Old 03-20-2015, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysidebelle View Post
what move in dates have they quoted you (most recently) if you don't mind my asking?
The lease starts September 1. Originally, they were saying August 1, but they moved it back. There are some clauses in the lease about how the landlord does not guarantee that the apartment will be habitable by the designated move-in date, but you have the right to break the lease if that happens, and your rent is effective only when you move in.

Old 03-20-2015, 06:02 AM

Quote:

Yeah, these are standard lease requirements, and like you said, most places only really follow up on it if there's an issue. Did they let you know when you'd be receiving the counter-signed lease?

Last edited by babydoll7304; 03-20-2015 at 06:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery