Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2018, 07:48 AM

68 posts, read 120,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephluver0806 View Post
i had my interview march 28 my log is 10xxx and i am in the ami60% and i got a email yesterday that i am in the waiting list SMH my credit has not been pulled . this sucks so very upset hopefully i get a email since my log #is not so high
Wow, they must've made quite a bit of money, wait listing before they pulled credit check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2018, 10:07 AM

158 posts, read 251,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiniCakes View Post
Yes, I read somewhere that the 60 ami band always has the most applicants for these lotteries, that could be a factor in you getting waitlisted. But it's not totally over! Some folks may not qualify when they go in to see/accept an apartment (most developments require you to submit more recent paystubs to make sure you're still within the income limits at that point) others may have issues getting the rent and deposit money together. So in these instances they can go to the waitlist for additional applicants who qualify.
I think it makes sense that 60% AMI band will have the most applicants as it covers both the average and median income in NY and most other states in the US. But I also think the lottery process should take care of the congestion this band gets, don't you think? Look at the interesting breakdown below:

Total apartments available by AMI bands - regardless of household size/number of rooms:
  • 50% AMI - 15
  • 60% AMI - 80
  • 120% AMI - 110
  • 130% AMI - 40
  • 165% AMI - 134

Statistically speaking, if the lottery process is randomly selecting from "all" applicants regardless of AMI, then yes, the 50% and 60% will be the most competitive ones. 165% will be the least competitive, & Alvista will have a hard time to even fulfill the 134 apartments!

But if the lottery process is randomly selecting a certain number of applicants from each AMI, then it's a different story. I don't think this is the case.

Where it gets very interesting is when you factor in the interview process, disqualifications due to income/credit/background etc, no show-ups, not wanting an apartment, 50% CB preference - the equation keeps changing.

Old 05-22-2018, 10:15 AM

319 posts, read 401,626 times
i'm not worry that much
not many people can afford 1500 studio or 1600 dollars 1bedroom
hope i don't get end in a stupid waiting list
either way, i'm applying everyday anyway

Old 05-22-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderblue View Post
I think it makes sense that 60% AMI band will have the most applicants as it covers both the average and median income in NY and most other states in the US. But I also think the lottery process should take care of the congestion this band gets, don't you think? Look at the interesting breakdown below:

Total apartments available by AMI bands - regardless of household size/number of rooms:
  • 50% AMI - 15
  • 60% AMI - 80
  • 120% AMI - 110
  • 130% AMI - 40
  • 165% AMI - 134

Statistically speaking, if the lottery process is randomly selecting from "all" applicants regardless of AMI, then yes, the 50% and 60% will be the most competitive ones. 165% will be the least competitive, & Alvista will have a hard time to even fulfill the 134 apartments!

But if the lottery process is randomly selecting a certain number of applicants from each AMI, then it's a different story. I don't think this is the case.

Where it gets very interesting is when you factor in the interview process, disqualifications due to income/credit/background etc, no show-ups, not wanting an apartment, 50% CB preference - the equation keeps changing.
A google reviewer said

"I had an interview set up for June 29.i received an email that said (Because of the high volume of applicants that are currently in process, we have canceled your existing appointment date. ) so I wont even be able to get an interview. So upset!!!"

They cancelled people's interview, I think they've reached their goal. I haven't heard anything yet, anyone called and ask? Every time I call the leasing office, it goes straight to voicemail.

Last edited by SmallTownKidInABigCity; 05-22-2018 at 10:39 AM..

Old 05-22-2018, 01:14 PM

Well, the management company seems to have a terrible rep. Check out their yelp page, I hope that this building wont have issues since it is funded by affordable housing.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/k-and-r-rea...york?q=alvista

The reviews are pretty interesting!

Old 05-22-2018, 01:46 PM

885 posts, read 1,382,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderblue View Post
I think it makes sense that 60% AMI band will have the most applicants as it covers both the average and median income in NY and most other states in the US. But I also think the lottery process should take care of the congestion this band gets, don't you think?
Absolutely! I mean to me it's as simple as them interviewing enough applicants and keeping count of how many initially qualified so that they have an applicant for each unit in the band and then possibly also calling in more applicants as a back up (ie. if they have 20 units and have already gotten 20 applicants that qualify, maybe call in 10 more applicants at most) but for some reason it seems like they called in copious amounts of applicants to come in and I can't fathom the reasoning behind it. When I went for my interview the place was packed, and packed when i left. When I returned the next day to turn in the money order and additional forms, again the office was packed. They should at least return the money orders to the folks who were waitlisted and whose credit were not pulled

Old 05-22-2018, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiniCakes View Post
Absolutely! I mean to me it's as simple as them interviewing enough applicants and keeping count of how many initially qualified so that they have an applicant for each unit in the band and then possibly also calling in more applicants as a back up (ie. if they have 20 units and have already gotten 20 applicants that qualify, maybe call in 10 more applicants at most) but for some reason it seems like they called in copious amounts of applicants to come in and I can't fathom the reasoning behind it. When I went for my interview the place was packed, and packed when i left. When I returned the next day to turn in the money order and additional forms, again the office was packed. They should at least return the money orders to the folks who were waitlisted and whose credit were not pulled
This management has a terrible rep but on their Yelp page, they said that they will return the credit/background check if they haven't been ran yet upon the customer's request.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/k-and-r-realty-new-york

"Daniel G.
Comment from Daniel G. of K & R Realty
Business Owner 4/21/2017 Thank you very much for your feedback. We are extremely sorry you had some trouble reaching a member of our team via phone. When calling our direct phone line, you are prompted to enter a number for our different departments, and it is possible we could have been assisting other tenants.

The lease used for our signings is a standard rent stabilized lease drafted by the Real Estate Board of New York. Because it describes the legal obligations expected of both tenants and management alike, there is a lot to cover in the contract. In order not leave any company policies up to speculation or verbal communication, we add them to the lease to ensure understanding on both sides.

As for the $50 background and credit screening, this amount is not processed by K&R Realty Management, Inc. unless one of our leasing agents is sure that the applicants are qualified for the apartment they are applying to. If any applicant decides that they are not interested in an apartment after submitting all required documentation, and before the credit check is run, this amount will be returned to the applicant upon request.

K&R Realty Management, Inc. is happy to hear that you are willing to recommend us! Shakira, unfortunately is no longer with our organization, but we have other team members ready to assist you and are one click away!"

Old 05-22-2018, 02:22 PM

20 posts, read 47,593 times
On the DOB website it shows Alvista applied for an Certificate of Occupancy On 5/16. I believe this means the building is complete.

Old 05-22-2018, 02:34 PM

136 posts, read 101,602 times
I received an email telling me that due to the very high number of applicants and my high log number, I am being put on a wait list.

Boohoo

Old 05-22-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicTraveler21 View Post
I received an email telling me that due to the very high number of applicants and my high log number, I am being put on a wait list.

Boohoo
What ami band are you in and was a credit check pulled?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery