Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2018, 06:29 PM

47 posts, read 69,389 times

Advertisements

@misshoneyy My experience was different. This is excellent that people are logging what they’ve seen because the apartments are obviously different. They don’t show you anything but what you’ve been assigned to outside of the model apartment. If we don’t know there are larger units available we don’t know to ask. I don’t know if swapping apartments is possible but finding out is worthwhile I think. The floor plans on the website have adequate sized rooms so they exist. Documenting what we experience could definitely give folks a leg up when viewing. My living room was smaller than I expected. I had lots of closet space along with a pantry. It was on the 6th floor.

What unit did they show you? What floor were you on? Be aware guys who are going to view from now on, the apartments on floors 3-5 are smaller. There are 19 units on these floor as apposed to the 16 on floors 6-24 with the same total square footage. This may be why you had a different experience in terms of overall size. Are you locked into that particular apartment?

I found out the fees are $400 per year not including parking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2018, 06:31 PM

68 posts, read 120,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowShay View Post
@misshoneyy My experience was different. This is excellent that people are logging what they’ve seen because the apartments are obviously different. They don’t show you anything but what you’ve been assigned to outside of the model apartment. If we don’t know there are larger units available we don’t know to ask. I don’t know if swapping apartments is possible but finding out is worthwhile I think. The floor plans on the website have adequate sized rooms so they exist. Documenting what we experience could definitely give folks a leg up when viewing. My living room was smaller than I expected. I had lots of closet space along with a pantry. It was on the 6th floor.

What unit did they show you? What floor were you on? Be aware guys who are going to view from now on, the apartments on floors 3-5 are smaller. There are 19 units on these floor as apposed to the 16 on floors 6-24 with the same total square footage. This may be why you had a different experience in terms of overall size. Are you locked into that particular apartment?

what fees?

Old 08-04-2018, 06:50 PM

8 posts, read 12,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallTownKidInABigCity View Post
what fees?
400/year fees are for the amenties

Old 08-04-2018, 07:03 PM

36 posts, read 71,066 times
@misshoney wow thanks so much for your detail review. @Lowshay I would imagine the apartments be bigger. And I would also imagine people paying closer to market rate would get the bigger apartments? I would have to see for myself. Granted all of the amenities are great and from the pictures ive seen it looks great. Yikes $400 for amenities a year? Which fees specifically? Laundry, storage, gym? Is it mandatory to pay for all of the amenities at once or could you pick and choose which ones you'd want?

Old 08-04-2018, 08:00 PM

30 posts, read 49,353 times
Hi all,

I went to the open house today wanted to share some observations:

1. No Mimosas

2. The building truly is very well done. The lobby is very elegant, as are all the amenity rooms. I brought my friend who is an architect and he said it's a well-designed building.

3. I'm eligible for a studio or a one bedroom and I found the studios to be smaller than I thought. I saw several studios and it truly does depend on the layout. I think LowShay mentioned, the lines and floors do differ. Some looked like it would be difficult to fit furniture and a bed (because of columns) and others had a flat wall and it would fit the furniture better. Ultimately I think I would need a one bedroom based on the size.

4. The views do differ depending on the line as well. Some have beautiful city skyline views and others face more construction/the empty lot next door. Also, the empty lot next door does not belong to Alvista, so I do think it's a matter of time before another hi-rise comes, so I don't know how that would affect the views.

5. The amenities did look really amazing. The laundry room was very big, the community room is rentable ($75 an hours/$275 security deposit). The gym was good, a little small, but all new machines. These amenities are $400 per apartment, per year, not per person. Rooftop access is available to all tenants without the amenity package (although we weren't able to see it).

6. All the bathrooms are the same size because they are ADA-accessible. There really was no difference in the appliances/design of the kitchens in the studio, one bedroom or two bedrooms, it's just a size factor. I did find the refrigerator to be a little small but that could be me. The cabinets were all very nice and it comes with a microwave/dishwasher.

7. The hallways were carpeted and nice. The doorman was very friendly and they would accept packages.

8. Some insights about the neighborhood: The supermarket across the street wasn't great, but there's a better one about a 10-minute walk down by the courthouse, next to a Starbucks. Ultimately what makes me hesitant is that the neighborhood isn't that great, I feel like I would have to go into the city for most, but that being said, you can't beat the transportation since it's right across the street.

I took photos and videos but it won't let me add pictures that aren't on a website for some reason.

Hope this helps!

Old 08-04-2018, 08:06 PM

30 posts, read 49,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kluv90 View Post
@misshoney wow thanks so much for your detail review. @Lowshay I would imagine the apartments be bigger. And I would also imagine people paying closer to market rate would get the bigger apartments? I would have to see for myself. Granted all of the amenities are great and from the pictures ive seen it looks great. Yikes $400 for amenities a year? Which fees specifically? Laundry, storage, gym? Is it mandatory to pay for all of the amenities at once or could you pick and choose which ones you'd want?
kluv90, it's $400 per apartment, per year. Laundry is open to all residents without an amenity package.

The amenity package includes the gym, the business center/co-working space, the community room (billiards table/kitchen/tv), outdoor space with tables, a yoga room I believe and a kids play room. Rooftop access is available to all tenants without the amenity package. You can't pick and choose the amenities you want, it's all or nothing. Storage and parking will be extra, but they don't know the prices yet. They did say for guests visiting, you can pay for parking hourly.

For the apartments, the bigger ones don't necessarily go to the people paying market-rate, at least that's how they explained it to me. The apartment sizes are all similar (i.e. a studio size varies slightly from studio to studio) and it doesn't matter what you pay.

Hope that helps!

Old 08-04-2018, 08:41 PM

15 posts, read 19,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowShay View Post

Im assigned to the 9th floor. Isn't it kinda cute that the laundry room has a lounge , and the machine texts you to tell you your load is done ?

Old 08-04-2018, 08:49 PM

17 posts, read 24,251 times
I attended today's open house. I was part of the 1st group taken up to see units. They had 3 bottles of prosecco, lots of orange juice and pastries. I made mimosas for myself and a few other attendees.
Jason took us to 2 apartments on the 10th floor. This were model units. He then took us to real units. I was truly more impressed with the private terrace on this units. The balconies were huge, but the living rooms are not very big. Wasted space for sure.
I wasn't able to view a studio with a balcony. He said they were gone.
Since, they only saved a small amount of units for the public, I took this to mean that units for lottery winners had nothing to do with this selection. The open house was for the general public, so i find it hard to believe 2 bedrooms are gone, as well as studios with balconies. I didn't mention i was a lottery winner either but pretty certain this open house was for those units open to the public only.
That said, I will not take $1729 studio in the 165% aim if approved. It just wasn't worth it. The space is not big, and the stove is not gas. Plus the commute was crazy long. Easy, but very long. I can't imagine taking the E train from Jamaica to world trade center every day for work.
I will let them know to put me back in the other aim. If a unit is available to me at a lower aim, I will reconsider, but right this minute am moving on.
I did get a super low log number on a new lottery that just end, like below 30. A new wait begins.

Old 08-05-2018, 02:24 PM

68 posts, read 120,661 times
Currently in DUMBO/Downtown Brooklyn Area - This building is 1/2 the price with just as nice luxury/amenities as the unit I'm currently in.

Trip Summary:
Jason appears to be the leasing person for the building for now - he said that he will be in the apartment doing leasing for at least an year and it'll probably take a year for the unit to be completely occupied. Wonder if he gets 1Month OP per lease he closes.

Went to open house 8/5/2018 - Jason stated that there are 38 units available to the public vs. the 12 shown on the apartment's website. All unit categories (studio/1bdrm/2bdrm) with or without terrace are all the same price - there are units with balconies/terraces on the 2nd and 6th floor and are huge.

Laundry Room/Package Room/Roof top are all included in rent - If you do not plan on using the gym/communal room/kid room, then you are paying $33/mo for no reason.

$33/month for the small gym is slightly over priced imo - Blink/Planet Fitness is only $20/mo for 2 people for a lot more equipment.

The gym is quite small, my current apartment's gym twice the size and with half the residence.

Bike Parking is $5/Mo and Building Parking has not been released yet (said to be released next month).

Overall the fixtures and appliances were really nice and bathrooms were large. Apartment takes care of water/gas but all appliances are electric except for heat. The AC is not a central system - they are in wall units that run the electricity bill quite high. I have the same unit in my current building and my electricity bill was ~200 for a 1Bdrm when having the unit run all night. The AC can be turned into heat during winter time and that will use gas (free).

Now into the leasing details: Jason does not work for K&R but handles the leasing for public. There is also another leasing company called Phoenix?

Units for open for ALL AMI's however, the perks of "higher ami/paying more" is having the choice over lower AMI people. 50-60% AMI will be left with the less desirable units (smaller ones on 2nd floor next the laundry room and gym) after all higher AMI's moved in, but paying 900-1200 rent in such a building is worth the wait.

Oh - the lot next door is not going owned by the building and there is no plans for it yet - the parking garage is indoor underneath the building.

I suppose the 38 Units Jason are currently leasing for are all in the 165% AMI (there are a total of 134 units for 165% AMI), hopefully the building follows the advertisement and allots the said number of unit for each AMI. If you are waiting for 165% AMI and want the unit - it makes no difference to apply directly (same price/etc)

Old 08-06-2018, 08:49 AM

6 posts, read 7,108 times
SO my fiance and I got approved and will be moving in the apartment shortly. Yes, the apartments are medium size, however, there's so much more you can do in the building that you won't be spending a lot of your time in your apartment (at least I won't). There's beautiful outting areas where you can enjoy the sun, sunset, or sunrise. The lounge, kids playroom, gym, studio, and laundry room are truly comfy! You can't beat such a beautiful building! I would suggest getting furniture with storage space. In the bedroom for instance, I would recommend a bed with drawers at the footer, possibly placing your tv on the wall, getting a kitchen island with two bar stools, getting a sofa and love seat and place it in a L shape. If you know about apartments, it will be easy to work the space. I would also suggest a tv unit from ikea with storage units. It's def doable! I hope to see you all soon! If you were wondering, I fit in the 165% AMI bracket and the apartment makes the back of my hairs stand. It's truly beautiful! Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery