Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2018, 05:48 AM

10 posts, read 13,865 times

Advertisements

hello i am in the low percentile i got the two bedroom for 1121
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2018, 06:29 AM

319 posts, read 401,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kluv90 View Post
Its its so awkward! Its either I make to much or not quite enough. Ive applied to some housing lotteries in the bronx but idk maybe its the NYker in me im not fond of the bronx lol. And I live in manhattan most of my life! And all other 1 bedrooms that I would qualify for are way uptown. I would totally do it if was a 1 bedroom for a price I can afford. If they gave me the 1 bedroom for 1729 I'd do it. Its so difficult to find something decent unless your making over 100K or got 5 roommates. What disappoints me the most is to have thousands of people apply, knowing they dont have thousands of apartments and they basically take your money. I don't get my $$ back and I guess im back on square 1 at this point.
yeah i seen lotteries that are going for months with only 2 or 5 apartments ?
why?
they need to change the guideline on these things
meaning there are thousands that are applying for a very small lotteries
and yeah im waiting. i'm gonna wait until November like the lady told me and see if not then i move on

i got called for a lottery to pay 1800 for a studio and the building has no amenities
no way i'd pay that much for a studio
Manhattan or not

Old 08-16-2018, 07:33 AM

2 posts, read 3,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeBagel View Post
Hi all- for those who are the process with 165% AMI, do you have hesitations about the price for that area? My concern is that is' not really a deal since that is the market rate that they're advertising the apartments for on the website, so is it really worth it? I'm currently in the stage where I have to resubmit documents. Also for anyone curious you do have to re-certify your income, which I was told repeatedly in the interview process that you wouldn't have to.
I think the 165% AMI is worth it in the long haul since the apartment will be rent stabilized. Jamaica is improving drastically and luxury apartment rents will definitely go up in the area. Plus the rent for a 1 bedroom apartment with the same amenities in a Manhattan building would be at least $2400.

Old 08-16-2018, 09:13 AM

68 posts, read 120,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_131 View Post
I think the 165% AMI is worth it in the long haul since the apartment will be rent stabilized. Jamaica is improving drastically and luxury apartment rents will definitely go up in the area. Plus the rent for a 1 bedroom apartment with the same amenities in a Manhattan building would be at least $2400.
Lol where can you find a luxury 1 bedroom apartment with same amenities in Manhattan for $2400? - I'd like to know.

Dumbo/Downtown Brooklyn - $3.2k-4k for 1 Bedroom
https://streeteasy.com/for-rent/down...rooklyn/beds:1
Long Island City - $2500-3000 for 1 Bedroom
Williamsburg - $2800-3200 for 1 Bedroom
Battery Park/Good Neighborhoods of Manhattan - $4k+ for 1 bedroom
http://www.milfordrentals.com/listings/?&layout=1br

Parking in this building will probably be around $200/month and there are plenty of street parking. If you live in the city you almost always have to rent a parking space that runs from $350-500/month.

To me, comfort/modern living is more important than the distance/commute - luckily, the E train from Alvista Towers to GC ~ 40 minutes which is about the same as prospect park/dumbo for me. While people are complaining about $1800 for a studio in this building, you can never find anything similar unless you go into the Bronx or deeper into queens.

The housing lottery is structured so that it is affordable and less than half your monthly take home goes towards rent. Most people in the city has to put half their income towards rent and have a roommate(s) in a flexed unit. NYC is a dog eat dog city and beggars can't be choosers.

Last edited by SmallTownKidInABigCity; 08-16-2018 at 09:38 AM..

Old 08-16-2018, 11:16 AM

20 posts, read 22,982 times
has anyone from the 60% AMI group been told that they've been approved? Seen a lot of 165% and a few 50%s, but don't recall any 60%AMI people.

Also, did anyone else get a rejection email from 869 Park Avenue Brooklyn? I called HPD about it, because the reasons they gave for denials weren't true, and HPD said hundreds of people got that email and they're not sure where it originated from, but to ignore it.

Old 08-16-2018, 12:20 PM

10 posts, read 14,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC4US View Post
yeah i seen lotteries that are going for months with only 2 or 5 apartments ?
why?
they need to change the guideline on these things
meaning there are thousands that are applying for a very small lotteries
and yeah im waiting. i'm gonna wait until November like the lady told me and see if not then i move on

i got called for a lottery to pay 1800 for a studio and the building has no amenities
no way i'd pay that much for a studio
Manhattan or not
Yeah, that kills me. Got all excited the other day when I saw a place had given me a log number in the low 300s. Then I realized there were only 3 apartments available. Don't think they'll get around to me...

Old 08-16-2018, 05:04 PM

10 posts, read 15,436 times
This is utterly funny. 1780 for that studio? Omg what a rip off!!! I could get an apartment in clinton hill for 1900-2000 better than that. That picture just proves to you that its not worth it. Don't keep your ups to high with the subway system.. There is constant changes...

Old 08-16-2018, 06:35 PM

68 posts, read 120,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityHarmony123 View Post
This is utterly funny. 1780 for that studio? Omg what a rip off!!! I could get an apartment in clinton hill for 1900-2000 better than that. That picture just proves to you that its not worth it. Don't keep your ups to high with the subway system.. There is constant changes...
I don't think you can compare pre-war house with a newly constructed luxury building. Distance to GC is about the same. But each definitely have their pros/cons but you'll never find a deal such as this if it wasn't for the Housing Lottery. There are multiple high rises/new apartment building that are being built/already build in that area - in a few years it'll be similar to Crown Heights/other gentrified neighborhoods. If you plan on having kids soon, it probably won't be your ideal location, but for working young urban professionals, this is a steal even at 165% price if you want to live without a roommate.

Alvista - Cheaper/Luxury/Doorman/Modern Appliances/ Rent stabilized

Old 08-17-2018, 10:27 AM

20 posts, read 22,982 times
I left a message with HDC yesterday and someone called me back today. I'm now more confused than I was before. She told me that the building is currently processing applications for the disabled and the community residents, and that if anything was left, they would then begin processing for city workers. But if city workers are supposed to have 5% set aside for them, how could it be possible that there wouldn't be any apartments left for city workers after the disabled and community residents get theirs?

Am I just not understanding how preference works?

Old 08-17-2018, 01:56 PM

133 posts, read 130,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impatientlywaiting23 View Post
I left a message with HDC yesterday and someone called me back today. I'm now more confused than I was before. She told me that the building is currently processing applications for the disabled and the community residents, and that if anything was left, they would then begin processing for city workers. But if city workers are supposed to have 5% set aside for them, how could it be possible that there wouldn't be any apartments left for city workers after the disabled and community residents get theirs?

Am I just not understanding how preference works?
From what I understand Community Board folks gets 50% of the apartments so depending on how many apartments and how many people actually qualify..that would eat up a chunk of the available apartments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery