Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2018, 02:50 PM

68 posts, read 120,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impatientlywaiting23 View Post
I left a message with HDC yesterday and someone called me back today. I'm now more confused than I was before. She told me that the building is currently processing applications for the disabled and the community residents, and that if anything was left, they would then begin processing for city workers. But if city workers are supposed to have 5% set aside for them, how could it be possible that there wouldn't be any apartments left for city workers after the disabled and community residents get theirs?

Am I just not understanding how preference works?
Not sure if the management company is still following the guidelines but their original listing shows:

A percentage of units is set aside for:
• Mobility-disabled applicants (5%)
• Vision- or hearing-disabled applicants (2%)

Preference for a percentage of units goes to:
• Residents of Queens Community Board 12 (50%)
• Municipal employees (5%)

https://a806-housingconnect.nyc.gov/...entPdf/412.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2018, 06:14 PM

10 posts, read 15,435 times
How much are they paying you? Cause I would love a tip... Just saying. The advertising is beyond ideal.... I love the quick comeback.

Old 08-17-2018, 11:59 PM

68 posts, read 120,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityHarmony123 View Post
Everyone is entitled for their own opinions. What suits you is whats for you. But I'm just mainly speaking for the other audience of people, that's in the same situation or that is viewing. I don't have kids either but i plan on. Its significant that you do your research and base on facts. Rather than just statistics and hypothesis. Base things on facts those are more reliable. To be honest there are pros about Alvista tower and there are con's. More con's than pros. I live near Jamaica and yes it has gotten slightly better. I said slightly, but the neighborhood needs lots of cleaning up to do. What you guys don't see at night is a way different ball game than day time. You can always icing a cake to look pretty. But you have to ask yourself is it fully baked? Does it taste right? Isn't rotten ? Beautiful building but around the neighborhood is a different state. That's for you to see. Congrats by the way on leasing.

Sincerely,

CityHarmony
"Everyone is entitled to their opinion" - but you appear to be very upset. So does this mean you have conceded all my points then, and are ready to move the discussion to talking about me?

Old 08-18-2018, 08:30 AM

20 posts, read 22,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallTownKidInABigCity View Post
Not sure if the management company is still following the guidelines but their original listing shows:

A percentage of units is set aside for:
• Mobility-disabled applicants (5%)
• Vision- or hearing-disabled applicants (2%)

Preference for a percentage of units goes to:
• Residents of Queens Community Board 12 (50%)
• Municipal employees (5%)

https://a806-housingconnect.nyc.gov/...entPdf/412.pdf
No i know the varying percentages, but 50% plus 5% plus 2% is only 57%, so how could there be nothing left over for city workers? Where are the other ones going?

Old 08-18-2018, 06:00 PM

10 posts, read 14,071 times
Speaking of percentages, one of the other lotteries I'm currently in has only 3 units, with:

o Mobility-disabled applicants (5%)
o Vision- or Hearing disabled applicants (2%)

How on Earth does that work? What's 2% of 3 apartments?

Old 08-18-2018, 07:12 PM

160 posts, read 277,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallVenusian View Post
Speaking of percentages, one of the other lotteries I'm currently in has only 3 units, with:

The guidelines say 1 or 2%, whichever is higher. Same for mobility. So basically 1 has to be mobility 1 vision and the other goes to general population.

Old 08-19-2018, 11:49 AM

47 posts, read 69,404 times
Hello everyone it’s nice to see that the process is moving forward for some of you, albeit slowly. The building is still pretty empty. I think that one of the maintenance guys told me 20 something the other day. They are also still working in the building. Only two elevators are available to tenants because the other two are being used exclusively for the builders. This may be why it’s going so slowly. All the apartments aren’t ready yet. They’re renting apartments as they become available. You notice the list on the website changes a bit week to week in terms of available apartments. For those still waiting, there is hope I think.

With that being said, I LOVE THIS PLACE ❤️!! The neighborhood isn’t the greatest but I’ve seen worse. I did a couple of late night jaunts just to get a feel for the place. It’s sketchy but doable. Seeing as I don’t live outside, I’m good. My place in the Bronx was a very quiet, working class neighborhood so this hubbub right outside your door, takes getting use to. The commute is easy for me due to the proximity of the train. Major down part is the lack of a decent grocery store. I have most of my food delivered but I do like to go in and buy my fresh goods in person. Food shopping definitely Not up to standards here. The handymen, the super, the doormen, SUPER helpful. The environment is very pleasant. Now that I’m here, I have no regrets. If you’re still on the fence, I say go for it. It’s worth it, in my opinion. They are building all around non-stop. I met one of the owners and he told me in a couple years I would probably leave to take advantage of one of the newer places that are in the process of going up. The neighborhood is definitely on the rise.

Good luck to everyone still waiting and congrats to those joining the family.

Old 08-19-2018, 12:37 PM

319 posts, read 400,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowShay View Post
Hello everyone it’s nice to see that the process is moving forward for some of you, albeit slowly. The building is still pretty empty. I think that one of the maintenance guys told me 20 something the other day. They are also still working in the building. Only two elevators are available to tenants because the other two are being used exclusively for the builders. This may be why it’s going so slowly. All the apartments aren’t ready yet. They’re renting apartments as they become available. You notice the list on the website changes a bit week to week in terms of available apartments. For those still waiting, there is hope I think.

With that being said, I LOVE THIS PLACE ❤️!! The neighborhood isn’t the greatest but I’ve seen worse. I did a couple of late night jaunts just to get a feel for the place. It’s sketchy but doable. Seeing as I don’t live outside, I’m good. My place in the Bronx was a very quiet, working class neighborhood so this hubbub right outside your door, takes getting use to. The commute is easy for me due to the proximity of the train. Major down part is the lack of a decent grocery store. I have most of my food delivered but I do like to go in and buy my fresh goods in person. Food shopping definitely Not up to standards here. The handymen, the super, the doormen, SUPER helpful. The environment is very pleasant. Now that I’m here, I have no regrets. If you’re still on the fence, I say go for it. It’s worth it, in my opinion. They are building all around non-stop. I met one of the owners and he told me in a couple years I would probably leave to take advantage of one of the newer places that are in the process of going up. The neighborhood is definitely on the rise.

Good luck to everyone still waiting and congrats to those joining the family.
Phew
I'm glad it's not fully operational yet or full of people
Glad you are enjoying yourself
The neighborhood is fishy for sure when I was there but I'm sure that's gonna change soon
Plus I don't go out at night often when I do I take Uber to the city.
I'd be fine if I'm selected
They need to move to 120+ people fast

Old 08-20-2018, 08:43 AM

158 posts, read 251,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallVenusian View Post

Haha! That is so true! For the 5% to work out, a building must have at least 20 apartments, and for 2% at least 50 apartments. In reality, any building having lower than this threshold should not even offer any apartments to these specific categories.

Old 08-21-2018, 10:13 AM

1 posts, read 1,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impatientlywaiting23 View Post
I left a message with HDC yesterday and someone called me back today. I'm now more confused than I was before. She told me that the building is currently processing applications for the disabled and the community residents, and that if anything was left, they would then begin processing for city workers. But if city workers are supposed to have 5% set aside for them, how could it be possible that there wouldn't be any apartments left for city workers after the disabled and community residents get theirs?

Am I just not understanding how preference works?
If city workers live in the community board they are counted for both. So sometimes the 5% of city workers are already taken by community board or disabled people. They only contact city workers if there are any left after the community residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery