Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2020, 11:33 AM

73 posts, read 67,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimilove View Post
In my experience I would say that about 80% of the first emails I receive for each lottery ends up in my junk folder. I honestly believe a lot of people miss it because of that. My email for 420 Kent went to my junk folder. Before I found my email I came to the 420 kent thread and someone with a higher log than mine posted the day before that they received their email. Once I saw that post I went to my junk folder and found my appointment email because I knew that the person with a log number of 12,xxx could not have been reached before my 11,xxx number.

There's also a good amount of people who are not familiar with this process at all. For example you are not the only person who believes log number are randomly chosen, A LOT of people do and when you don't have accurate information you can end up missing one these lotteries.

My advice to everyone is to always read the marketing handbook because it really does tell you everything you need to know and when you don't understand call HPD. Of course all of this is not to say that all marketing agents do the process correctly, at the end of the day it's a person on the other side going through applications so there will always be errors but as long as each person knows how this is supposed to work then there's less room for error, or an error can always be corrected in time.

Don't lose hope. Your chances have not gotten any less just because you understand the rules better now.
At the end of the day it still is a lottery. The log number you received was random and now you know that if you receive a low number again and don't get contacted you know what to do.
Yea I hope it works out. I haven’t seen many people come here with municipal preference but again there aren’t many ppl in this discussion maybe some don’t even know it exist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2020, 02:42 PM

17 posts, read 12,520 times
I was cb and my log was 12,***

Old 02-18-2020, 04:24 PM

515 posts, read 528,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNYC View Post
I was cb and my log was 12,***
Hi JNYC congrats on your new place!
You should have still tried for 420 kent cause you never know lol.
The process is really not any different from other lotteries, some people are just freaking out over nothing because there hasn’t been any updates.
This lottery started right at the beginning of the holidays so people need to be extra patient some just don’t understand that. It’s really not a mess lol some of us are just a mess because we’re impatient.

Old 02-19-2020, 07:41 AM

17 posts, read 12,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimilove View Post
Hi JNYC congrats on your new place!
You should have still tried for 420 kent cause you never know lol.
The process is really not any different from other lotteries, some people are just freaking out over nothing because there hasn’t been any updates.
This lottery started right at the beginning of the holidays so people need to be extra patient some just don’t understand that. It’s really not a mess lol some of us are just a mess because we’re impatient.
hey thank you ! you're right sometimes when i drive past it i regret it because ive seen what 416 kent looks like my friend showed me a video and its breath taking !

Old 02-20-2020, 06:28 AM

It actually is a lit bit of a mess the person who started this forum stated that they were sent something like she never attended her interview and another said she called and they had her in the system like she had been contacted and went in for an interview and she hadn’t. Also you call for updates and reside says one thing and hps says another. These lotteries are annoying period

Old 02-20-2020, 12:24 PM

726 posts, read 820,317 times
At this point these lotteries are horrible and some people in these forums are worse, and i see now why people don't want to share any sort of information. I gave a little bit of information about my situation and I see now someone threatened to call hpd on the company because their experience isn't what they want it to be.

Old 02-20-2020, 12:39 PM

12 posts, read 11,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexyStarr View Post
At this point these lotteries are horrible and some people in these forums are worse, and i see now why people don't want to share any sort of information. I gave a little bit of information about my situation and I see now someone threatened to call hpd on the company because their experience isn't what they want it to be.
That's crazy!! Everyone's situation is different, what goes for one person may not go for the next. People annoying. Hahaha

Old 02-20-2020, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottery_hopeful View Post
Mimi... I know we discussed this before and it got ugly but I'm now on my 13th interview and they always tell me that your number is randomly selected. Of course it makes no sense according to the handbook but my last place we were number 3 (the lowest ever) with mobility and community preference for a place that had 7 apartments. We weren't selected. I called and they said the same thing "unless you're randomly selected we cannot contact you for an interview". From my experience: you get a low log number and can only hope that your number gets randomly selected. It is only then that a low log number helps. Just my experience. I hate this whole process. Mitchell Lama however calls each number in order. So effing weird
Going back to this post makes that system they are saying they go by make no god damn sense!! How she’s #3 with 2 preferences 7 Apts and not selected?

Old 02-20-2020, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexyStarr View Post
That’s just ridiculous! Smh

Old 02-20-2020, 02:26 PM

515 posts, read 528,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citygal365 View Post
Going back to this post makes that system they are saying they go by make no god damn sense!! How she’s #3 with 2 preferences 7 Apts and not selected?
In her case I believe someone messed up big time on the marketing agent's side. Lottery hopeful also believes that log numbers are chosen at random. Since she took what they told her of not being "randomly selected" at face value she did not fight back and investigate what actually happened.

Like I said, marketing agents make errors you can't stop that but you can always correct an error if you stay on top of things. HOWEVER, if no one understands the rules of these lotteries then it's likely that you are going to just agree with whatever the marketing agent tells you which in this case was that she wasn't selected. But did they actually tell her why because what they told her is a lie since log numbers are not randomly selected, log numbers are RANDOMLY ASSIGNED (that's a better way to look it, all your log number really is is your place in line to be processed in the lottery, a number that was randomly given after applications are shuffled) and this isn't something that I made up. It's stated in the marketing handbook and HPD made very clear to me. You said yourself that you called they explained it to you.

If you don't know the rules of a game how can you expect to win?

Last edited by Mimilove; 02-20-2020 at 02:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: