Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2020, 07:50 PM

73 posts, read 67,944 times

Advertisements

Well I’m speaking from experience from someone who lives in a lottery and has been through the entire process. I lost my preference because the units were filled before they reached my log and I still won the lottery as a NP. My log # was 800 with about 60 apartments available to np it’s a big development so I just find it hard to believe that it starts at 1. Also anyone who even makes it to an interview they were determined eligible through their application so if they don’t meet the requirements even just clicking apply they would get a rejection letter n not even be interviewed. If your called in it’s because on the application you stated you qualify only way people wouldn’t is if you lied or your income changed. Also people can get called and have terrible credit and be denied for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2020, 08:19 PM

515 posts, read 527,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citygal365 View Post
Well I’m speaking from experience from someone who lives in a lottery and has been through the entire process. I lost my preference because the units were filled before they reached my log and I still won the lottery as a NP. My log # was 800 with about 60 apartments available to np it’s a big development so I just find it hard to believe that it starts at 1. Also anyone who even makes it to an interview they were determined eligible through their application so if they don’t meet the requirements even just clicking apply they would get a rejection letter n not even be interviewed. If your called in it’s because on the application you stated you qualify only way people wouldn’t is if you lied or your income changed. Also people can get called and have terrible credit and be denied for that.
You didn’t lose preference you got waitlisted. It’s possible that someone in the preference group before you turned down the apartment and that’s how you got it because then you were next, that happens a lot. I’ve said this once before and I’ll say it again look through all the lottery threads in this forum and find people whose log numbers were between 1 and 100 who never got called or offered a unit if they qualified.

I don’t even think it matters anymore at this point. Everyone is going to believe what they want and have their own interpretation of how the lottery works. I advise everyone to read the marketing handbook and speak with HPD so they can explain how the process works.
Also you cannot be solely denied on bad credit and not providing credit is an option now. Being called for an interview means absolutely nothing until they start processing your application which is when they reach your log. I have been called for 7 lotteries in which I was not processed because the people before me qualified. So I was waitlisted 7 times.

Let’s move on from the conspiracy theory that reside is doing anything shady. If anyone has questions call reside or HPD 212-863-6300 the HPD project manager for 420 Kent is Edwin. He’s very nice I’ve spoken to him plenty and I’m sure as along as he has the time he will be happy to answer your questions.

Old 02-17-2020, 08:30 PM

No I was changed from municipal to np this is what my new emails were coming in as and this is what I was told by the leasing agency. We can agree to disagree but I’ve had way lower lot #’s for bigger amount of units and never been even contacted AT ALL so I stand by that it doesn’t start at 1 I think that’s bull and everyone has a fair chance of being called regardless of log # hence “lottery”

Old 02-17-2020, 08:33 PM

If that’s the case that anyone from 1-100 Made the cut then explain why I’ve had log #’s between those #’s and never been contacted? Lol doesn’t make sense

Old 02-17-2020, 09:20 PM

Quote:
If that’s the case that anyone from 1-100 Made the cut then explain why I’ve had log #’s between those #’s and never been contacted? Lol doesn’t make sense
It would make perfect sense if your number was not reached because there were only x numbers of units available. But agree to disagree. Call HPD and ask them how it works. I had this same exact disagreement with lottery hopeful. So I reached out to people who I know that work directly with this and I got confirmation on how it works. I also got confirmation from HPD last month again when I spoke to them because I was talking to a coworker who also believed that numbers were randomly picked. So to end the debate we called HPD and they explained the process to him. Get your facts from HPD like I have. And I never said that 1-100 make the cut. I said they are the first to be processed whether that be they receive a denial right of the bat or they get an appointment, if they have not already been processed in a preference group.

Now I’m just asking for everyone to stop the conspiracy theories and let’s actually give real updates in the threads. If anyone thinks reside is being shady call HPD before we start this again in the thread.

Old 02-18-2020, 10:16 AM

I called and your right

Old 02-18-2020, 10:19 AM

It makes me wonder why I never looked into why I wasn’t called for certain lotteries and find out what was going on smh!! This makes me loose hope I guess we can only hope that if we have a higher log # we make the cut for preference if not we’re screwed!! Which makes this process pretty annoying cb has the best chances of having a higher # because 5% with a high log doesn’t seem like we’ll make that small percentage

Old 02-18-2020, 11:05 AM

Quote:
It makes me wonder why I never looked into why I wasn’t called for certain lotteries and find out what was going on smh!! This makes me loose hope I guess we can only hope that if we have a higher log # we make the cut for preference if not we’re screwed!! Which makes this process pretty annoying cb has the best chances of having a higher # because 5% with a high log doesn’t seem like we’ll make that small percentage
In my experience I would say that about 80% of the first emails I receive for each lottery ends up in my junk folder. I honestly believe a lot of people miss it because of that. My email for 420 Kent went to my junk folder. Before I found my email I came to the 420 kent thread and someone with a higher log than mine posted the day before that they received their email. Once I saw that post I went to my junk folder and found my appointment email because I knew that the person with a log number of 12,xxx could not have been reached before my 11,xxx number.

There's also a good amount of people who are not familiar with this process at all. For example you are not the only person who believes log number are randomly chosen, A LOT of people do and when you don't have accurate information you can end up missing one these lotteries.

My advice to everyone is to always read the marketing handbook because it really does tell you everything you need to know and when you don't understand call HPD. Of course all of this is not to say that all marketing agents do the process correctly, at the end of the day it's a person on the other side going through applications so there will always be errors but as long as each person knows how this is supposed to work then there's less room for error, or an error can always be corrected in time.

Don't lose hope. Your chances have not gotten any less just because you understand the rules better now.
At the end of the day it still is a lottery. The log number you received was random and now you know that if you receive a low number again and don't get contacted you know what to do.

Old 02-18-2020, 11:11 AM

17 posts, read 12,474 times
i missed my appointment because i won else where 2 weeks before and im kind of glad. I knew 420 kent would be a mess.

Good luck to all

Old 02-18-2020, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNYC View Post
i missed my appointment because i won else where 2 weeks before and im kind of glad. I knew 420 kent would be a mess.

Good luck to all
Haha what was your log and was the a preference?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: