Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2022, 07:35 AM

76 posts, read 121,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parchmentnyc View Post
Question,

Are you allowed to renew lottery leases or do you have to reapply for the lottery?
You renew your lease as usual you don’t have to apply again your renewal should be based on rent stabilization guidelines. Unless of course there is a better lottery price in the future and you would qualify, in that case I would apply also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2022, 07:46 AM

46 posts, read 47,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg713 View Post
I am a little confused about this lottery process. If I have a log #, does that mean I will eventually be reached for an apartment? Or once the apartments are filled the lottery ends?
This is my understanding, and anyone please correct me if I am wrong:

If you have a log number, you might be contacted to begin the process. This isn’t guaranteed; it depends on how low your number is and whether you’re currently a resident of NYC.

Once they contact you, your chances of getting an apartment rise dramatically. But there are still several steps to complete before the offer actually comes. You must submit documents, answer questions about those documents, and resubmit/provide extra material if it’s needed.

Idk what happens once all the apartments are filled… whether there’s a waitlist, and if so who gets to be on it. Maybe someone else knows.

Old 07-19-2022, 07:51 AM

1,606 posts, read 1,845,017 times
Based on my experience years ago when I was waitlisted in Stuytown lottery, they put me into their waitlist for two years. After that, if I still don't get anything, I will have to reapply to the (upcoming) lottery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycatjunior View Post
Idk what happens once all the apartments are filled… whether there’s a waitlist, and if so who gets to be on it. Maybe someone else knows.

Last edited by someoneinqueens; 07-19-2022 at 08:00 AM..

Old 07-19-2022, 07:58 AM

301 posts, read 214,361 times
Any idea if I have a decent chance of getting contacted with a 12xxx log #? (NYC resident)

Old 07-19-2022, 08:05 AM

46 posts, read 47,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by someoneinqueens View Post
Based on my experience years ago when I was waitlisted in Stuytown lottery, they put me into their waitlist for two years. After that, if I still don't get anything, I will have to reapply to the (upcoming) lottery again.
Great to know! Sounds very generous. I feel like a lot can happen in two years.

Old 07-19-2022, 08:11 AM

1,606 posts, read 1,845,017 times
Yeah, they actually called me after I was waitlisted for a year to ask if I'm still interested in their 1BR (when first I got called I just moved into my market rate apartment so I asked them to put me on hold, the reason I was waitlisted). But at that time (2018/2019) Stuytown lottery offered a crazy pricey apartments, based on my income, they offered me $2889 for 1BR so I turned it down & asked them to remove me from their waitlist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycatjunior View Post
Great to know! Sounds very generous. I feel like a lot can happen in two years.

Last edited by someoneinqueens; 07-19-2022 at 08:23 AM..

Old 07-19-2022, 08:26 AM

4,783 posts, read 6,589,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocfam5 View Post
Does anyone know if they give preference to NYC employees/first responder?
No, there are no preferences with this lottery except for residents of the five boroughs of NYC.

Quote:
I am a little confused about this lottery process. If I have a log #, does that mean I will eventually be reached for an apartment? Or once the apartments are filled the lottery ends?
This is a very unusual lottery, and Stuy Town has never said how many units are dedicated to the 2021 lottery.

Old 07-19-2022, 09:28 AM

25 posts, read 29,314 times
Hello,

I’m moving in next month on the 13th, i’ll be on first ave loop and 18th st. After I made a payment I received an email with some links for the moving.
How does the Move.com work? Is it expensive? I never used a moving service before.
I was thinking to ask some friends to help me and rent a U-Haul instead. I don’t have furnitures because Im buying new ones, so it’s mostly boxes. I know that the elevators need to be padded but I don’t think I can do that on my own. Does the Stuytown service center help you with that?

Old 07-19-2022, 10:05 AM

125 posts, read 210,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonidabc View Post
Hello,

I’m moving in next month on the 13th, i’ll be on first ave loop and 18th st. After I made a payment I received an email with some links for the moving.
How does the Move.com work? Is it expensive? I never used a moving service before.
I was thinking to ask some friends to help me and rent a U-Haul instead. I don’t have furnitures because Im buying new ones, so it’s mostly boxes. I know that the elevators need to be padded but I don’t think I can do that on my own. Does the Stuytown service center help you with that?
I would suggest either doing it yourself or getting a bunch of quotes. Im moving on the 2nd and I contacted a solid 8 companies. The two that were the most affordable and with good reviews were Rabbit Moving and DUMBO. Everything else was astronomically high.

Old 07-19-2022, 10:22 AM

72 posts, read 76,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg713 View Post
Any idea if I have a decent chance of getting contacted with a 12xxx log #? (NYC resident)
They are moving on up the list, so never count yourself out - the lottery goes until Feb 23rd I believe. My partner was contacted yesterday to submit documents and his log # was 8xxx. We had already been contacted on my log # (7xxx) in late June and applied on that number so he let them know so they could move on to the next in line. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery