Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2024, 05:41 AM

4 posts, read 2,433 times

Advertisements

Hello - I am in a similar situation where I am trying to move from a one bedroom lottery apt to a 2 bed lottery and they are being super tough and rigid about the 2 month lease break fee. Any additional tips on how you were able to speak to them would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2024, 02:57 PM

4,771 posts, read 6,565,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cskysky View Post
Hello - I am in a similar situation where I am trying to move from a one bedroom lottery apt to a 2 bed lottery and they are being super tough and rigid about the 2 month lease break fee. Any additional tips on how you were able to speak to them would be appreciated.
On the FAQ for the Hunger Games (2023) lottery, regarding current ST/PCV residents who have won a new apartment in the lottery, it says, "Lease breaks will be processed in accordance with current Beam policies and New York State law. Please contact our office if you have any questions."

(Beam is the manager of the property.)

So it sounds to me as if unless New York State has a law governing this, the policy is whatever Beam wishes it to be.

I would suggest you call Keith Powers’ office and ask to speak to the person in charge of housing advocacy. Keith usually has good people on this staff.

https://council.nyc.gov/district-4/

Old 03-06-2024, 06:16 AM

35 posts, read 31,426 times
1 Bed, 1 Bath

446 East 20th Street, Apt 0MC

Available March 12

$3579.13

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=7zRGsHVNsEJ

Old 03-06-2024, 06:36 AM

^^^^Nice location for this apartment, but I believe it is on the ground floor. It’s set back in a grassy planted area, though, so not near where folks would be walking past. You can see the view out the windows in the Matterport 3D tour. It’s also near the hockey playground, which I believe is reasonably quiet.

Old 03-06-2024, 06:38 AM

22 posts, read 14,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
Yes, on the ground floor. It's called T level (for "terrace").

Carbeara, did you put an application in for the two-bedroom? Nice location!
No I didn’t put application on the 2 bedroom one. Still waiting for the more affordable one haha

Old 03-06-2024, 06:56 AM

The offerings have been few and far between, lately.

Old 03-06-2024, 07:05 AM

25 posts, read 16,668 times
This group seems too powerful, and everyone seems willing to share their experiences. I speculate that Stuytown may need to reconsider this Hunger Games-style lottery system. They must be facing numerous complaints because this method isn't fair to many, especially the elderly or those who aren't computer-savvy.

Old 03-06-2024, 07:37 AM

110 posts, read 212,374 times
Default Price too High

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA23 View Post
1 Bed, 1 Bath

446 East 20th Street, Apt 0MC

Available March 12

$3579.13

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=7zRGsHVNsEJ
This just seems so overly expensive for what it is- same with the 281 Avenue C ground floor apt.

Old 03-06-2024, 07:43 AM

2,019 posts, read 1,636,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi1232006 View Post
This group seems too powerful, and everyone seems willing to share their experiences. I speculate that Stuytown may need to reconsider this Hunger Games-style lottery system. They must be facing numerous complaints because this method isn't fair to many, especially the elderly or those who aren't computer-savvy.
I appreciate your sentiments. I share them. I would consider making changes, but I don’t work for StuyTown.
However, first and foremost Stuytown is a profit seeking business. It is private property. It is not government owned or managed.

The open entered lotteries they run offer a better opportunity for many to get an apt than having to race to get an application in the instant a vacancy is posted. However, for market rate apartment this kind of competition race is common, and not considered unfair in general.

Old 03-06-2024, 07:52 AM

25 posts, read 16,668 times
A nice location, with a hockey playground across and a dedicated area for dogs to play. Perfect for pet owners, though the only drawback might be the dim lighting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery