Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2024, 08:59 PM

3,160 posts, read 2,763,881 times

Advertisements

Wow, great work advocating for yourself!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2024, 08:54 AM

23 posts, read 11,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensNY2020 View Post
Actually in the same building as my old unit! Same size and even a little more expensive. But it’s a platinum finish with an open kitchen, and we have three little kids and spend 80% of our time in the kitchen so it’s a game changer for us.
Last time you mentioned the 3D apartment at 19 Oval. According to the Themaki Google spreadsheet, the monthly rent for this unit is $4197, which is a lot cheaper than the market rate.

Old 04-03-2024, 09:37 AM

35 posts, read 32,297 times
Congrats QueensNY2020! I want to add thanks to themaki. That spreadsheet is so incredibly helpful and I have shared it with many! I also learned from the generous people here adding their experience to this forum and am grateful for those who answered my questions directly: MurryHillMomma, NYCengEdu, & macnyc2003. I didn't have the time to wait for my number to come up in the Stuy Town 2021 lottery, so I started focusing on the Stuy Town/Peter Cooper Village Affordable Housing listings in late summer. After close-but-unsuccessful tries on a few apartments (second or third), I was able to get first for one of the apartments under $2900. I signed my lease sight unseen.

Something that hasn't been mentioned lately on this forum: it is worth asking if you are eligible for a reduced security deposit of $1000.

This system could be so much better and more accessible with some tweaks. I hope it keeps going, with improvements, and that more affordable apartments are added asap.

Last edited by BA23; 04-03-2024 at 11:02 AM..

Old 04-03-2024, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA23 View Post
Congrats QueensNY2020! I want to add thanks to themaki. That spreadsheet is so incredibly helpful and I have shared it with many! I also learned from the generous people here adding their experience to this forum and am grateful for those who answered my questions directly: MurryHillMomma, NYCengEdu, & macnyc2003. I didn't have the time to wait for my number to come up in the Stuy Town 2021 lottery, so I started focusing on the Stuy Town/Peter Cooper Village Affordable Housing listings in late summer. After close-but-unsuccessful tries on a few apartments (second or third), I was able to get first for one of the apartments under $2900. I signed my lease sight unseen.

Something that hasn't been mentioned lately on this forum: it is worth asking if you are eligible for a reduced security deposit of $1000.

This system could be so much better and more accessible with some tweaks. I hope it keeps going, with improvements, and that more affordable apartments are added asap.
Yes, this forum has been very helpful. Recently, a friend of mine, after reading the shared experiences on this forum, managed to secure a nearly 1250 square feet 2-bedroom, 2-bathroom apartment in Peter Cooper for only $3000 in rent. She also shared these experiences with many friends. It's also possible that many others have followed suit based on these experiences. It seems like the pace of Stuytown has slowed down a bit lately.

Old 04-03-2024, 12:45 PM

28 posts, read 20,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluelove888 View Post
Yes, this forum has been very helpful. Recently, a friend of mine, after reading the shared experiences on this forum, managed to secure a nearly 1250 square feet 2-bedroom, 2-bathroom apartment in Peter Cooper for only $3000 in rent. She also shared these experiences with many friends. It's also possible that many others have followed suit based on these experiences. It seems like the pace of Stuytown has slowed down a bit lately.
Sharing and learning from experiences to snag an apartment isn't a bad thing at all. It just shows that the system has its flaws and could definitely do with some improvements.

Old 04-03-2024, 08:03 PM

Sure thing! Sharing experiences is cool and all, but I'd advise against putting your affordable apartment number out there on forums. Remember, it's a public space, and keeping your privacy intact is super important.

Old 04-04-2024, 12:07 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,619,964 times
Housing deal may include provision to let landlords increase rents on vacant rent-stabilized apartments

The Assembly speaker confirmed that bringing back rent increases to offset the costs of renovating rent-stabilized apartments is on the budget negotiating table.

Interesting article shows how landlord groups are trying to raise the amount of rent they can charge when a longtime tenant moves out and the unit need to be renovated. I don’t know if Blackstone is among those landlords across the city who are warehousing apartments, biding their time until the law is gutted. But we have seen very few affordable apartments lately, at least judging from City Data posters in both this lottery and the 2021 lottery. I hope tenant advocates can hold down the increases, but the real estate lobby is very well funded and knows how to throw money at lawmakers to get what it wants.

It's important to remember that the affordable apartments in the 2021 lottery and the sought-after bargains in "hunger games" lottery owe their low rents to the 2019 law that the Democrats passed in Albany.

https://www.cityandstateny.com/polic...tments/395410/

Last edited by macnyc2003; 04-04-2024 at 12:43 PM..

Old 04-04-2024, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
Housing deal may include provision to let landlords increase rents on vacant rent-stabilized apartments

The Assembly speaker confirmed that bringing back rent increases to offset the costs of renovating rent-stabilized apartments is on the budget negotiating table.

Interesting article shows how landlord groups are trying to raise the amount of rent they can charge when a longtime tenant moves out and the unit need to be renovated. I don’t know if Blackstone is among those landlords across the city who are warehousing apartments, biding their time until the law is gutted. But we have seen very few affordable apartments lately, at least judging from City Data posters in both this lottery and the 2021 lottery. I hope tenant advocates can hold down the increases, but the real estate lobby is very well funded and knows how to throw money at lawmakers to get what it wants.

It's important to remember that the affordable apartments in the 2021 lottery and the sought-after bargains in "hunger games" lottery owe their low rents to the 2019 law that the Democrats passed in Albany.

https://www.cityandstateny.com/polic...tments/395410/
As far as I know, these lottery posts on the City Data forum and the ones from 2021 are just a small part. Actually, they've been quite busy lately, and the progress of the applications for 2021 has indeed accelerated.

The main contents of the 2019 law, the New York State Rent Stabilization and Tenant Protection Act, include:
  1. Extension of the Rent Stabilization Act to cover the entire state of New York.
  2. Implementation of stricter regulations limiting conditions under which landlords can increase rents and increased oversight on housing renovation and maintenance.
  3. Restrictions on landlords' ability to refuse reasonable requests from tenants, such as repair and maintenance requests.
  4. Increased penalties for violations of rental laws to protect tenants from unfair landlord practices.
  5. Introduction of stricter regulations to prevent landlords from abusing lease termination rights, especially concerning long-term tenants.
  6. Enhanced oversight of rent and housing quality to ensure tenants have safe and adequate living conditions.

Old 04-05-2024, 08:30 AM

Did anyone feel the earthquake around 10:25 a.m. this morning, lasting for about 5-6 seconds?

Old 04-05-2024, 09:28 AM

97 posts, read 61,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluelove888 View Post
Did anyone feel the earthquake around 10:25 a.m. this morning, lasting for about 5-6 seconds?
Yup
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery