Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2024, 08:32 AM

171 posts, read 182,736 times

Advertisements

Let's hope it lasts!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2024, 11:52 AM

14 posts, read 9,488 times
Hi All, I got the 3D apartment in 19 Oval! I currently live in Stuytown and they're saying that I need to pay a 2mo lease break penalty to move to the new apt. When I moved to a different affordable unit with the 2016 lottery they waived that fee. Does anyone know if there's a way around this lease break penalty? Seems not to be in the spirit of an affordable housing system to make people pay such a large fee...

Old 02-28-2024, 12:07 PM

2,005 posts, read 1,626,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensNY2020 View Post
Hi All, I got the 3D apartment in 19 Oval! I currently live in Stuytown and they're saying that I need to pay a 2mo lease break penalty to move to the new apt. When I moved to a different affordable unit with the 2016 lottery they waived that fee. Does anyone know if there's a way around this lease break penalty? Seems not to be in the spirit of an affordable housing system to make people pay such a large fee...
I don’t know of a work-around.

You could ask to delay the move-in until your present lease is up. You can ask nicely for them to wave or reduce it. You could ask if the penalty could be put towards your security deposit. You can ask nicely to allow you many weeks to make payment, they know where to find you

I was unaware there was such a thing as the spirit of affordable housing. It seems to me that affordable housing is an even larger and less sympathetic bureaucracy than market rate housing, and other government regulated programs. One example would be that if a household makes one dollar under the minimum income requirement or one dollar over the maximum income requirement they are subject to being disqualified.

StuyTown seeks profits.

It was just announced that StuyTown is withdrawing their appeal to escape rent regulations. (Good news no matter if you take the new unit or not). If there were such a thing as the spirit of affordable housing they would not have attempted the various ways they did of removing rent regulations.

Old 02-28-2024, 12:12 PM

Well if there wasn't a spirit of affordable housing before, there should be one now. I see your point. Stuytown does want to profit, but it's unfortunate that in the deal they made with the city for these affordable housing programs, the city didn't make them forfeit the penalties from tenants moving from other stuytown units (as they did just 5-6y ago).

Old 02-28-2024, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Well if there wasn't a spirit of affordable housing before, there should be one now. I see your point. Stuytown does want to profit, but it's unfortunate that in the deal they made with the city for these affordable housing programs, the city didn't make them forfeit the penalties from tenants moving from other stuytown units (as they did just 5-6y ago).
Yes, in retrospect, a kinder penalties policy is worthy.
Try to negotiate something. They might yield a bit. If your lease end is not too many months away maybe they would let you wait until then to move to the new place. Is the new place vacant now? Maybe it needs some scheduled maintenance they could take their time performing.

Old 02-28-2024, 12:42 PM

It's vacant and has been for quite some time. I will have to be creative. Thanks for your thoughts.

Old 02-28-2024, 01:53 PM

22 posts, read 15,957 times
You do not have to pay the 2-month lease break penalty because your situation qualifies as a transfer.

Old 02-28-2024, 04:57 PM

Quote:
It's vacant and has been for quite some time. I will have to be creative. Thanks for your thoughts.
Inspect the new unit and point out any work, repairs, patching, or maintenance they are obligated to complete. Fridge light out, burner on stove not working, faucets that drip.

Old 02-29-2024, 06:37 PM

133 posts, read 85,226 times
Quote:
I'd check with the lottery team again about this.

I moved into a two-bedroom apartment I won in the 'hunger-games' lottery in September 2023. Before that, I lived in a one-bedroom in Stuytown. I renewed my lease for the one-bedroom in August 2023, and I could switch between apartments without any extra fees. When I moved out, I got my entire deposit back, too.

I believe there's a rule about not overlapping the apartments by more than one day.

If there's a fee for breaking the lease, one logical option would be to consider subletting the old apartment to avoid paying extra. However, I believe lottery winners may not be allowed to have two lease contracts simultaneously for more than one day, which could limit this option. How can one lottery winner be forced to renounce a lease contract for an existing apartment in favor of a lottery apartment without having adequate tools to avoid lease-breaking fees? This was my train of thought as I was ready to keep the old apartment and sublet it if breaking lease fees would’ve been asked.

Old 02-29-2024, 08:34 PM

22 posts, read 15,957 times
"VerynewinNYC explained it very well. In fact, you only need to submit one NTV form to ensure that move out and move in occur on the same day."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery