Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2024, 02:34 PM

4,769 posts, read 6,558,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennbrazil View Post
I think I want to try! What time do I need to start checking?
7 a.m. to 10 a.m., weekends (and holidays too, sometimes.) https://affordable-housing.stuytown.com/apartments/

For the cheapest apartments, you need to check every minute, because they go fast. Winning this lottery takes dedication, patience, and persistence. But as you can see from this thread, people do win!

If you are good with coding, you might be able to set up some kind of automated web refresher, but that's out of my realm of expertise.

Here's a wonderful spreadsheet compiled and maintained by poster themaki, so you can see all the apartments that have come available.

Best of luck!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...O0c/edit#gid=0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2024, 02:46 PM

144 posts, read 80,927 times
I read about the spreadsheets but never looked. This is amazing! Thank you themaki!

I don't know coding but I can hit refresh pretty fast Other than that, any more tips?

Interesting that this is not a regular old waitlist. Or is it? NVM I just read the faq section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
7 a.m. to 10 a.m., weekends (and holidays too, sometimes.) https://affordable-housing.stuytown.com/apartments/

For the cheapest apartments, you need to check every minute, because they go fast. Winning this lottery takes dedication, patience, and persistence. But as you can see from this thread, people do win!

If you are good with coding, you might be able to set up some kind of automated web refresher, but that's out of my realm of expertise.

Here's a wonderful spreadsheet compiled and maintained by poster themaki, so you can see all the apartments that have come available.

Best of luck!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...O0c/edit#gid=0

Last edited by Jennbrazil; 01-25-2024 at 02:59 PM..

Old 01-25-2024, 03:48 PM

It’s a frustrating lottery, especially now, when days or even weeks go by without an offer. But some of the apartments have been really great deals! So it’s worth it. That’s where “persistence” comes into play.

One tip: Set up up auto fill in Google Chrome with your name, address and phone number so that when you fill out the short application, it goes faster. You need to be one of the first three to hit Send.

Old 01-25-2024, 04:28 PM

144 posts, read 80,927 times
I think this might not work for people like me who work in an office and have to get ready and commute

Old 01-26-2024, 08:26 AM

22 posts, read 16,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
^^^^Another great value in a nice location. The building is directly on 20th Street, but the C line faces the interior of the complex, overlooking the 20th Street Loop road, which should be quiet.
I've been following the Stuytown Affordable Housing forum for a while now, and the contributions of macnyc2003 are truly invaluable. Selflessly dedicated, with a profound understanding of the community, having her around is a blessing for us all.

Old 01-26-2024, 08:31 AM

22 posts, read 16,030 times
Here is a book specifically telling the story of Stuytown, titled 'Other People's Money.' If you're interested, you might want to check it out.https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GWQ...ew?usp=sharing

Old 01-26-2024, 08:42 AM

Wow, gigi, you're making me blush! Thank you for the kind words.

Finding an affordable place to live in NYC is such stressful experience for anyone! If I can help in any way reduce that stress for someone, I'm happy to do that.

Old 01-26-2024, 11:28 AM

11 posts, read 7,921 times
Hi all! How long after submitting documents do people hear back about their approval status? Currently in the process of applying for one of these units and I'm definitely anxious to learn if I was approved for the unit or not

Old 01-26-2024, 11:40 AM

198 posts, read 219,685 times
My advice is to check on your mobile device and computer if you can. If you have to commute, keep checking on your cell phone. Also, if you have a partner, tell the person to do the same thing. Maybe a trustworthy friend can help out to check and fill out the form.

Old 01-30-2024, 10:04 AM

282 posts, read 279,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennbrazil View Post
I think this might not work for people like me who work in an office and have to get ready and commute
I havent been here since the time I got my place it is good that the stuytown lottery is going on and although periodically but they still are offering some good deals. Honestly, it is hard to make it work with the commuting schedule but I managed to do it. Most of days I would get up before 7 am and look at the screen while getting ready (if I was going for breakfast in the kitchen, I look at my phone ) and I had set an auto refresh add on on computer and set it to refresh every 3 second on my computer so I didn't need to be clicking all the time just staring . I was also refreshing it on my phone while commuting and biking to work and even had a small screen with autorefresh on my work computer in case so I wouldn't miss the apartment I wanted. from early April until September every day (except the 4th of July when I lost a good deal at the time) waiting for an apartment that would fit my budget. It was tedious couple of months and at times the posts dried out, and i missed three other apartments mid-filling application from my phone while I was on commute because other people were way faster. But with help of this community I never gave up and now I saw the lottery that I won just a minute before I was about to shut down my personal computer and go to office. The rest of the process was easy, and since then I have been living in a great apartment in Peter Cooper Village and have amazing neighbors and have made a community here. So don't give up you never know when they will post the thing in your budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery