Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2011, 11:59 PM

44 posts, read 65,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by *SunsetSkies* View Post
From my experinces, all black people sound the same.
I'm sure you are just trolling, bless your simple panhandle heart, but I would expect a statement like this from, probably, many in the great state of Florida's panhandle: not well-traveled and presumably not very well educated. Therefore, you get a pass for not being "in the loop", as it were. Y'awl co-uhm back nah, ya heer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 12:45 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
Black, Negro, Colored ... were all labels used to define the construct for the RACE of Americans of the African Diaspora. African-American is really an ethnic/cultural designation, like Italian-American. The term does not define RACE. I believe that all of these labels are incorrect and it really troubles me that many were created to conveniently deny people rights.

I'm not being vague. These are the facts. The majority of Americans of the African diaspora are multiracial. Now, I am extremely proud of my African heritage but why not discover more about myself? We're in the age of DNA tests when we can really know what we are. I am sure my test will show that I am predominantly sub-Saharan African but I am curious about the other parts. What's wrong with that?

If you can explain to me how "black", "Negro", "colored" or "African-American" accurately define the RACE of Americans of the African Diaspora, I'm all ears.
I agree, we are in the age to understand who we really are, where did we come from and most important where we are going. I was born here in the bronx, parents come from south america a place called guyana. Both my parents are mulatos My parents ancestors all come from some where else. My ancestors are both african slaves and indentured servants of european descent. Ive always wondered why my skin is fair my hair is not hard and my eyes are light brown. I learned my ancestry from my grandma from my mom side and from my father and my ailing great uncle who is half irish and black. Its important to know where you come because of your ancestors journey but, it also shows where you are going in life. I know some day I will visit guyana and trace back my roots to portugal, west afric, ireland and great britain. Gotta do that dna origin bloodtest aswell to see if Im a dominant black or white. I hope itz 50 /50

Old 02-13-2011, 08:03 AM

13 posts, read 11,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poliutox2 View Post
I'm sure you are just trolling, bless your simple panhandle heart, but I would expect a statement like this from, probably, many in the great state of Florida's panhandle: not well-traveled and presumably not very well educated. Therefore, you get a pass for not being "in the loop", as it were. Y'awl co-uhm back nah, ya heer?
That's correct, just assume that because I am from the south that I am uneducated and not-well traveled. I don't have my Passport and Master's degree for nothing! My family went to NYC while I was a freshman in high school spent 6 years up there.Trust me when I say this, there are plenty of NYers who are not, as you say, well educated or well traveled. Go to any project in NYC and ask the residents what type of degree they have and if they went to at least 5 countries outside of the United States. Go ahead, I will await your return. But I bet you are "well-educated" enough to agree, that your post was getting off topic.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:09 AM

1,583 posts, read 3,677,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poliutox2 View Post
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to poliutox2 again."

Old 02-13-2011, 09:54 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,770,208 times
Quote:
Nobody uses this word in my small Florida town. Only person that I heard using it was Larry the Cable Guy who is not even from the South
Used by both black & white southerners
Blacks use these too. I think you have some hatred towards white southerners.

To counter this blacks use a lot of terms that are not even proper English.

Aight
A yo b
Shawty
Yo son you mad cool(not even correct usage of the adjective)
I be workin
Get yalls ____
I finna
Gutta
Dope
Reppin mah hood son

I am sorry but this is how blacks talk.. They usually say a curse word after every other word. I was a Social Worker working in the black areas of NYC and this is what I have observed. God help them. If a black speaks in proper English they get bashed for "talking white".
When I saw your post, I thought "oh no, the truth comes out." These are the words I hear from the younger generation of black New Yorkers. I was too afraid "to go there." I was expecting a barrage of denial but I see your post received a silent response of truth.

On a positive note, gay blacks, usually the men speak like other New Yorkers. I believe it is because it's a small community that is well integrated with the general gay community. They have a need to fit in there and identify with their peers, regardless of race.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:10 AM

1,583 posts, read 3,677,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
That's the type of post you give rep points?
Focus on the thread, not the poster
And yes, I'll give rep points to someone who doesn't stay quiet when others make untrue generalizations about blacks. A lot of posters here are afraid to acknowledge intelligent, well-spoken and highly educated blacks who aren't interested in "hiphop culture". It would distort their whole world.
And since I just gave rep points to someone else in another thread, you reminded me that it's time to go back and give some to poliutx2!

Old 02-13-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobage View Post
Focus on the thread, not the poster
And yes, I'll give rep points to someone who doesn't stay quiet when others make untrue generalizations about blacks. A lot of posters here are afraid to acknowledge intelligent, well-spoken and highly educated blacks who aren't interested in "hiphop culture". It would distort their whole world.
And since I just gave rep points to someone else in another thread, you reminded me that it's time to go back and give some to poliutx2!
LOL! Touche!

Old 02-13-2011, 10:28 AM

This is somewhat off topic but I want to post it here. The entire Jackson family with the exception of Joe has the most unique accent I have ever heard. It's somewhat middle American but it's different. Words they pronounce and diction are so unique that I can't really place it. It's not the accent of residents of Gary. They seem to be such a close knit family and so well traveled that they have developed their own unique accent.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:31 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,093,158 times
Quote:
I am sorry but this is how blacks talk.. They usually say a curse word after every other word. I was a Social Worker working in the black areas of NYC and this is what I have observed. God help them. If a black speaks in proper English they get bashed for "talking white".
this is ridiculous. "Blacks" don't do anything. Its "some" blacks not the whole race

Old 02-13-2011, 02:52 PM

283 posts, read 521,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
this is ridiculous. "Blacks" don't do anything. Its "some" blacks not the whole race
Unbelievable bigoted ignorance on this board, huh? Where are the mods to delete this s*** like they did my supposedly "racist" comments in the past?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City