Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 06:18 PM

83 posts, read 99,568 times

Advertisements

it seems as if many people are saying the specialized schools are primarily for immigrant children. i wish the city kept records on this, but then again that might be too invasive. white, black, latino and asian numbers might not be telling the whole story.

a couple people stated the Op was a race baiter. i don't think that was fair. i think he/she asked a legitimate question.

why can't the city create a "multi-cultural" specialized experimental school where different types of criteria are used for admission.

the admissions office can look at volunteer work, creativity, leadership - just what the ivy league schools look for. harvard turns down a larger percentage of students who scored perfect SAT scores than it accepts!

i had mixed emotions reading the original posting but now i am gravitating toward saying that the specialized schools use an old fashioned method which is no longer in use.

also, let's face it: it's wrong to have segregated schools. it's wrong to have a school which is considered an elite school and only have asian and a few white students in it.

there's strength in diversity. let's give people chances, let's mix people up in this melting pot of ours goddarn it!

Old 10-26-2011, 06:33 PM

106 posts, read 251,573 times
My friends son attended Bx Sci and graduated he came from a low income neighborhood. and went to public school in the Bronx. The difference is his single parent was very involved in his education. It is all in the upbringing. parents don't value the importance of education.
I saw it first hand. I asked a fellow mom if she was going to test her daughter for the g&t program and her response was "oh no that would be more work for me, they give too much homework" and that was not the first time I heard that from other parents.
and no I am not a teacher or administrator

Old 10-26-2011, 06:33 PM

27 posts, read 75,408 times
I do not think it is blatantly racist at all. While the numbers are heavily skewed, I think it also comes down to willingness to past the test. I do say that the majority of Asians I have met are very very academically focused. Does that make them better than everyone else? No, they just focus hard on grades and ignore other things in life to a certain degree. The funny thing is I went to a specialized school in NJ and being white I was in the minority by far! Did it bother me? Not at all. There was the same idea of a standardized test you had to pass to enter the school and I just barely made it, and to think of it there was a reason for the test since I barely kept up sometimes with the curriculum, so I guess it was a good marker for how well you would do.

I do have to say there are many factors that go into why schooling anywhere is the way it is, and I do have to say household environments do have a heavy factor as I have seen. My parents rode my ass all the time since they were immigrant working class folk who wanted me to have a better education. At the same time I watched a lot of my friends **** away their education and lives, since their parents simply didn't give a damn (just to point out they were white too.)

Old 10-26-2011, 06:37 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,429,643 times
Troll alert

Old 10-26-2011, 06:46 PM

876 posts, read 2,142,730 times
Default Trolls

The person who wrote this thread was a troll. If you look at her profile this was the first time she posted and made this account just for this thread. I am surprised so many responded to her. She probably has many accounts on this site and goes around trying to stir up trouble.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:47 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,086,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by celticvisa View Post
it seems as if many people are saying the specialized schools are primarily for immigrant children....
I wouldn't say they are schools FOR immigrant children but they have become schools OF immigrant children..... by default.

It is because immigrants still firmly believe( as most of our parents, grandparents or great grand parents did) that excelling in education is the way out of the ghetto( whether Irish ghetto,Italian ghetto,Jewish ghetto or whatever kind of ghetto).They watch their children like hawks.They don't let them watch television or listen to music in the evening.They make them do homework.They don't let them out on the streets at 9,10,11,12 or 1 am.They make them go to the library on weekends.They don't let them associate with the 'wrong "people.They come into the schools and check things out.They demand teachers cell phone numbers....and use them incessantly.Whenever there is any kind of discipline problem with their child at school they automatically take the teachers side.They tell their kids to listen to and do what the teachers say.They don't allow their kids to keep weapons in the house or take them to school.They watch how their kids dress,etc,etc.

Sound vaguely familiar ?

Last edited by bluedog2; 10-26-2011 at 06:57 PM..

Old 10-26-2011, 06:52 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
i disagree.
AA dominates heavyweight boxing. not much diversity. where are the diversity cops?
let the asians and wasps excel where they can.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:55 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,086,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivefourthreetwoone View Post
I saw it first hand. I asked a fellow mom if she was going to test her daughter for the g&t program and her response was "oh no that would be more work for me, they give too much homework" and that was not the first time I heard that from other parents......
I hear this all the time....from parents : Schools give the kids too much homework
It's unbelievable.

Last edited by bluedog2; 10-26-2011 at 07:11 PM..

Old 10-26-2011, 07:12 PM

93,414 posts, read 124,120,588 times
To shut all of this down, this Buffalo City HS is similar and has been ranked higher than Stuyvesant by many publications and look at its demographics: City Honors School at Fosdick Masten Park Test Scores - Buffalo, New York - NY

Student Teacher Ratio City Honors School at Fosdick Masten Park - Buffalo, New York - NY

Old 10-26-2011, 07:14 PM

93,414 posts, read 124,120,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i disagree.
AA dominates heavyweight boxing. not much diversity. where are the diversity cops?
let the asians and wasps excel where they can.
Not necessarily true, as Russians hold quite a few belts in that class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City