Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 07:41 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,014,135 times

Advertisements

Racism is NOT holding blacks and latinos from getting into the best schools. Especially when East Asians, Indians, and Africans do quite exceptional on these very same exams.

I'm black and I can admit that. Until lower socio-econmoic communities make academics #1 they will continue to fall behind. No amount of funding, speeches, protesting or crying will ever change that.

If the black and latin communities of NYC have the ability to consistently churn out the best football, basketball and baseball high school recruits, then they they have the equal ability to produce some of the best students. It's about priorities and nothing else.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:44 PM

810 posts, read 837,654 times
Nature gave us a large diversity of physical features and looks. Its not that far fetched then that this also applies to various kind of intelligence; where certain groups of whites, South and East Asians excel in "book smarts".
On the specialized high schools for performing arts there are just as many blacks and Latinos as there are Asians. So its not really a matter of something being racist, it's just ability.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:54 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,014,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Nope. Asians tend to come from backgrounds that highly value education, so it's no surprise that they are the majority in these schools.

There's probably more Asians going to Bronx High School of Science then Asians actually living in The Bronx.

I agree completely.
Yup, oddly enough, if I were a parent--I would have no problem sending my kid to a public school in Chinatown. Despite its low income and economically disadvantaged population--the kids there are excellent.

Now what about Brownsville, East NY? No chance...

Old 10-26-2011, 08:04 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,086,482 times
A few years ago there was a poster on this forum who I helped with advice on various Bronx neighborhoods.

It was an Asian woman who was going to move her whole family to The Bronx ,even though she was totally unfamiliar and a little fearful, because her daughter was going to go to Bronx Science.She wanted to be as near as possible to the school because she thought it would be helpful for the kid not to have to deal with a long commute.

Says a lot !

Old 10-26-2011, 08:37 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,767,735 times
I went to BTHS in the late 70's. I remember in my freshman year having conversations about scores. During those conversations we knew that there were different tables for minorities vs. other races. Some of the minority kids had much lower scores than the listed cutoff for entrance into the school. But one of the great things BTHS had was in-house tutoring. Also many students worked together and set up study sessions during different parts of the day including after school. We had a pretty heavy class schedule. On top of the standard classes we had to declare a major to follow in addition to these classes. And if you didn't like your major you could jump to another one (sometimes it required an extra class that were setup by the school after the normal school day had ended). The cafeteria had its cliches, but we never had any type of racial issues at the student level.

Probably if anything needed to be fixed back then would have been the JHSs & MSs. They had special programs for the LDs,EDs and the SPs. But the majority of the kids in the middle had to fend for themselves.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:47 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,862,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
If the black and latin communities of NYC have the ability to consistently churn out the best football, basketball and baseball high school recruits, then they they have the equal ability to produce some of the best students. It's about priorities and nothing else.
NYC is not turning out that many professional athletes anymore either.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:37 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Not necessarily true, as Russians hold quite a few belts in that class.
we are talking about NYC not moscow no?.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:13 AM

4,840 posts, read 9,920,061 times
You doctor yet? - YouTube

Old 10-27-2011, 04:24 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,251,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
we are talking about NYC not moscow no?.

Old 10-27-2011, 05:13 AM

3 posts, read 8,993 times
Default Am just a student who wanted to know your opinion

Someone called me a "race-baiter" and another person called me a "troll."

I'm a student who wanted to know what people thought about this issue.

One of the "troll" callers stated that I just want to "stir up trouble."

How is bringing up a serious topic and asking for someone's opinion "stirring up trouble?"

I am not even sure what a "troll" is. Are you saying I look like one of those cute little dolls you win at circuses or do you mean I am a "troller" - like a fisherman who drags a net through the sea to catch fish?

In any case, I am really happy most people realized my intentions were good. I am learning alot from this thread and I think alot of other people have learned alot and contributed some thoughtful comments.

Thanks bunches ~~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City