Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2012, 11:41 AM

675 posts, read 1,256,209 times

Advertisements

African slaves were bought to the U.S. mainland starting in the 1500's with the first official colony being established in Jamestown Virigina in 1619
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 11:51 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,373,929 times
Bigjake...you are right..the past is the past and has no effect on today or tomorrow...it's all inconsequential. Just like if you got hit by a car last week and now permanently bound to a wheelchair....none of that matters...it's all in the past...the only reason you can't walk is because you don't want to and are "just blaming" the accident for your inability to walk. You are just lazy...get over it...move on....the past is the past...it's all about personal responsibility!

Old 05-30-2012, 11:52 AM

3,244 posts, read 5,240,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Brown View Post
African slaves were bought to the U.S. mainland starting in the 1500's
Not by the English, as the rest of your comment clearly establishes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Brown View Post
the first official colony being established in Jamestown ... in 1619
How many slaves were there in Jamestown, Dennis?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery..._United_States
"The first Africans to be brought to English North America landed in Virginia in 1619. These individuals appear to have been treated as indentured servants, and a significant number of enslaved Africans even won their freedom through fulfilling a work contract or for converting to Christianity. Some successful free people of color, such as Anthony Johnson, acquired slaves or indentured servants themselves." ...
"Wealthy Virginia and Maryland planters began to buy slaves ... during the 1660s and 1670s ... The first British colonists in Carolina introduced African slavery into the colony in 1670, the year the colony was founded ... Only a fraction of the enslaved Africans brought to the New World ended up in British North America—perhaps 5%."
So, make it 1670-1865.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Just like if you got hit by a car last week and now permanently bound to a wheelchair....none of that matters...it's all in the past
No, it's as if your great-great-great-grandfather was crippled, and you're still sitting in his weekchair, crying "I can't walk!"

Last edited by bigjake54; 05-30-2012 at 12:05 PM..

Old 05-30-2012, 11:53 AM

304 posts, read 871,350 times
The segregation is absolutely sad. It is not just like that in New York but in American cities all over the country. The prominence of the suburb, where people tend to be more affluent further leads to segregation. Also since public education is paid for in many states by property taxes, the people with the most resources get to go to the best schools.

As a matter of fact I believe inner city schools now are as segregated as they have been since the early 1960s before civil rights legislation. If you are interested in reading more about it I recommend Jonathon Kozol, who is really an expert on this issue, and has written some great books. I believe he has experience working in New York City.

Last edited by tallahasseehero1; 05-30-2012 at 12:09 PM..

Old 05-30-2012, 12:10 PM

304 posts, read 871,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
Edit needed?
Edited! thanks!!

Old 05-30-2012, 03:02 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,373,929 times
Bigjake...no..it's as if my great-great-grandfather was purposefully poisoned and could never walk again, and then passed that inability to walk to his offspring....they would be permanently at a disadvantage...and that is where we are today.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:07 PM

31 posts, read 68,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Bigjake...no..it's as if my great-great-grandfather was purposefully poisoned and could never walk again, and then passed that inability to walk to his offspring....they would be permanently at a disadvantage...and that is where we are today.
Can the guy in the White House walk? Or is he still overcoming post traumatic stress disorder from the car accident his great-great-grandfather was in?

Old 05-30-2012, 05:02 PM

423 posts, read 1,280,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickNYR View Post
Can the guy in the White House walk? Or is he still overcoming post traumatic stress disorder from the car accident his great-great-grandfather was in?
So because Obama is president that means every Black person has the ability to do so, they just choose not to. Got it. It's their fault.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:26 AM

31 posts, read 68,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andez View Post
So because Obama is president that means every Black person has the ability to do so, they just choose not to. Got it. It's their fault.
Every person in the U.S. has the ability to overcome and live a successful live. If they don't they only have themselves to blame. If someone wants to sit at the bottom and point fingers than they better get used to being at the bottom, no one is gonna move them up.

I don't blame my shortcomings on the Queen of England or communism.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:57 AM

1,248 posts, read 1,383,187 times
NYC schools in no way are segregated. Like in prison culture, they seperate
themselves, and is apparent of what the posters are doing in this thread. I read threw this, trying to make sense of them. I am unable to. All I hear is the cries of a bunch of damaged people.

Why are schools have a differnt diversed nature?

For normal students, pass enough, go to the bigger schools. In these schools they have a scholors section, and special ED kids, in their own sections. That is a about segregated as it gets, in a normal highschool in NYC. However all schools that are within walking distance, are considered, zone school, which means you can attended it, no matter what your grade level is.

Most parents wants thier children to go to a good school. However they fear letting their children travel on the train and the bus. The reason why you might see a four seven year old, sitting on the edge of a platform is because, a parent are sending them to a specialized school, they think is better.

Take my highschool. Every morning I would walk to it, and their was many differnt kinds of people. But I would see students of one specific background, on a busline unrelated to my school go the opposite direction,
may it be north, east, south, or west.

My cousins school for example was a zone school. However it had many people not from where he lived.

Finally the root of the matter, people do segregate on purpose. Take all the Jewish students, going to a Russian, speaking school. I saw one kid ask "is this song, going to be in english?" and the instructor said "no this one is in Russian too". They have polish, and even austrian schools. The closest I imagined for an all Latin school is probably a Catoloic school. The same with Hatains, who are obviously outcasts, for years to come.

So if you are wondering why schools are failing, or looks like one race, it is because. Parents force their children to go to non-zone schools, and thus fund the MTA. People of other nations, live in ghetto's and wants that whatever exprience ( note the civil rights issues in hasidic communities ) for their students. Finally all the real people, will go to a normal pulbic school, and it is a zone school.

To measure a schools rating, you need to subtract all non-english speaking schools, subtract all students who use the MTA line, or goes to their non-zone schools. Then you are left with the student.

Like any normal person, with children. Your knowledge of this is limited and linear. Meaning a parent is not thinking of these things, at least most normal parents.

About disobediant students. This a problem that was caused with the divorcee era, and prinson culture bleeding into youth culture. Gang culture has allways been apart of youth culture. Then of course their are racist people who program their children, in a negative light. Finally media helps a bit.

I say the problem is hatefilled parents, and negative people, who caused the unruly student issues. This is why parents get divorced, to begin with, because families never approved of the person they are married to. This has been occuring since the 1950's.

Students are athorative to a specific kind of teacher. I say the last thing a teacher needs to say in a classroom, is to mention race. A student does not see race at all. All they see is darkskinned and lightskinned as we all are meant to see. They should destroy black history, and womans history montn, and force all public and private schools to teach their kids, history on the same page.

Speaking of segregation. Isn't it funny how their is a jewish halloween, and Jewish supermarkets???? You can still shop in them, and buy some nice stuff, but that is something to think about. Of course nobody notice the Chinese New Year, celebrations or dress up days. But seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City