Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2012, 05:52 PM

5,464 posts, read 5,714,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Just goes to show that you dont know too much. Hunger and starvation werent unknown in the South either. Or in the urban ghettoes either.
Oh please.

I was referencing this by the way: Holodomor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
And yes some Jews (German and Dutch) in Europe had the opportunity to accumulate capital and business skills that slaves couldnt. So that should tell you something about why you cant compare the two.
Who cares about German and Dutch jews, I am talking specifically about MY family. You know what happened to my family wealth???? Here read up then: Kulak - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Guess what? My family weren't allowed to accumulate wealth till 1990.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 06:04 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,054,327 times
Quote:
Hmmm given that almost 50% of blacks in NYC are either Caribbean or descended from Caribbean migrants, and since we have always suffered from the same racism that AAs have IU suggest to you that I know more than you do. 1/3 of the slaves in NYC had Caribbean roots so we have a long history in NYC.

And yes some Jews (German and Dutch) in Europe had the opportunity to accumulate capital and business skills that slaves couldnt. So that should tell you something about why you cant compare the two.

Please dont claim that the blacks living in NYC had life good. Research about the riots in the 1860s when RECENT Irish immigrants thought that they had more rights to certain jobs than did AAs, whose ancestrors had lived in the USA since tghe 1620s. Blacks were scab labor and kept out of the unions. This is a FACT.
The New York City Draft Riots of 1863
So please dont invent history by pretending that blacks had a grand life in NYC and only Jew suffered.
Black slaves had to compete with Irish and other lower class immigrants as well as first generation Americans for jobs. The nod for jobs went to African Americans during the 19th century. Howard Zinn talks about how many whites prefered to hire blacks over Irish who were not American as well as Catholic not seen as trust worthy or loyal. Many Jews in NYC were German at the time and were already professional when they stepped off the shores of Castle Gardens by Battery Park. Many Jews such as Goldman Sachs, Lehman Brothers were German origin and came to NYC in the mid 19th century to start in banking. Also Joseph Pulitzer is another of German origin jew who excelled in Journalism during the mid 19th cnetury. Some of these Jews today are most likely part of the 1% due to wealth accumulated over 150 years or so. Also countries like Germany and Austria during those times were not poor or subjegated like British controlled Ireland, divided Poland, and much of Ottoman and Russian controlled Eastern Europe.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 07-09-2012 at 06:15 PM..

Old 07-13-2012, 03:32 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,243,325 times
Quote:
please dont invent history by pretending that blacks had a grand life in NYC and only Jew suffered.
Don't misquote me. My point was that blacks were 1% of NYC during its period of greatest growth! Almost all ethnic groups suffered discrimination in NYC and in the USA as a whole. No one was welcomed with open arms here. People struggled to survive, there was no safety net.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:39 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,243,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Many Jews in NYC were German at the time and were already professional when they stepped off the shores of Castle Gardens by Battery Park. Many Jews such as Goldman Sachs, Lehman Brothers were German origin and came to NYC in the mid 19th century to start in banking. Also Joseph Pulitzer is another of German origin jew who excelled in Journalism during the mid 19th cnetury. Some of these Jews today are most likely part of the 1% due to wealth accumulated over 150 years or so. Also countries like Germany and Austria during those times were not poor or subjegated
Very few of Europe's Jews were German. Most lived in the Russian or Austro-Hungarian empires. Germany only became a single country in 1970. Most Germans who came here were poor. Those with education or money stayed there, whether Lutheran, Catholic or Jewish. There's a saying that nobody left because it was good, where they came from. Austria had less anti-Semitism than Germany, but the Austrians lorded it over the many ethnic groups within the empire, and the Hungarians were next in the pecking order. In Russia, pretty much every ethnic group had it tough.

Old 07-16-2012, 02:28 PM

18 posts, read 31,371 times
It's quite shocking because NYC isn't the only city that has a segregated public educational system. It seems to have spread all over the country, and this is not the first time this has happened. But you already knew that. White students only make up 14% of the entire NYC public school student population. That's very little compared to the near 40% Hispanic and 32% Black. Truth is, white people tend to send their kids to private schools, Catholic schools, or even some to the elite specialized high schools. But let's look at it from a different perspective, white can be defined in numerous ways.

Take the example of Southern Brooklyn (Brighton Beach, Sheepshead Bay, etc.) areas that are predominantly Russian, Polish, Eastern European—Slavic groups. Schools in that area are pretty good (with the exception of Sheepshead Bay High School, William E. Grady High School and Abraham Lincoln High School), but there's the thing: they'll be categorized as white too. Essentially, this makes the percentage misleading and disproportionate, don't you think? The Russians and the Polish are immigrants too ya know.

Old 07-16-2012, 02:39 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,566,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentrification View Post
It's quite shocking because NYC isn't the only city that has a segregated public educational system. It seems to have spread all over the country, and this is not the first time this has happened. But you already knew that. White students only make up 14% of the entire NYC public school student population. That's very little compared to the near 40% Hispanic and 32% Black. Truth is, white people tend to send their kids to private schools, Catholic schools, or even some to the elite specialized high schools. But let's look at it from a different perspective, white can be defined in numerous ways.

Take the example of Southern Brooklyn (Brighton Beach, Sheepshead Bay, etc.) areas that are predominantly Russian, Polish, Eastern European—Slavic groups. Schools in that area are pretty good (with the exception of Sheepshead Bay High School, William E. Grady High School and Abraham Lincoln High School), but there's the thing: they'll be categorized as white too. Essentially, this makes the percentage misleading and disproportionate, don't you think? The Russians and the Polish are immigrants too ya know.

So reading between the lines - white has also meant "non-immigrant"?

That makes me a non-white, white anglo-saxon.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:00 PM

18 posts, read 31,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
So reading between the lines - white has also meant "non-immigrant"?

That makes me a non-white, white anglo-saxon.
Ask yourself these questions: Was I born in this country? Were my parents born in this country? Were my grandparents born in this country?

And yes, by most people "white" is simply categorized as White American (non-immigrant) because let's face reality, when we think white, do we think in the way that we think of... let's say, Hispanics? "Oh, so you're Hispanic. We're you born here? Are you Mexican?" Now, does anyone ever say "Oh, so you're white. We're you born here? Are you from Russia?" No right? Most people can't even tell the difference. 65% of the U.S. population is white and I'm pretty sure that out of that 65% less than 5% are undocumented immigrants with limited English proficiency recently coming from European countries. Don't you get it? Everyone is divided. It's this division that makes people think this way.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:27 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,566,007 times
The answers to your test questions are no, no and no.

I'm white. However, everyone asks me where I was born.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:29 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,544,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Oh please.

I was referencing this by the way: Holodomor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Who cares about German and Dutch jews, I am talking specifically about MY family. You know what happened to my family wealth???? Here read up then: Kulak - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Guess what? My family weren't allowed to accumulate wealth till 1990.

The German Jews faciliated the entry of the Russian/Polish Jews. They set up many charities, etc.

Who took care of African American and AfroCaribbean migrants to NYC in the early 20th C when they faced far higher barriers to employment and housing than did the Jews?

Listen if your point is to show that Eastern European Jews had it hard relative to German Jews and WASPs you make your point.

But up to now you have yet to furnish any proof that they had it as bad or worse than blacks in NYC.

Black women were locked out of the garment industry and almost totally confined to work as domestics where conditions were even worse. Black men were also locked out of manufacturing, excpet in the most poorly paid and dangerous jobs. That is for those lucky enough to find work when many couldnt. Do you know that a Pullman porter job was considered a good job and many of them HAD COLLEGE DEGREES!!!! Yes this is a job where they endured daily insults and had to grovel to bigots when serving them food/drink for goodness knows what meager pay.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:38 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,544,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
Almost all ethnic groups suffered discrimination in NYC net.
And my point is that blacks and native Americans endured the greatest abuse of all. Such abuse also continued long after WWII. There is the infamous GI Bill which accorded advantages to white GI's denied to black GI's. German prisoners of war were treated BETTER than black GIs and this is during the 1940s. By which time there had been very heavy immigration of blacks in NYC from the South and the Caribbean.

Please dont make yourself look foolish by pretending as if European immigrants, as deplorable as their conditions were, didnt have it much better than did blacks. Blacks were a reserve laborforce, to be used as scabs when European migrant workers went on strike. The trade unions EXCLUDED blacks from membership, ironically hurting their members by ensuring that a large pool of destitute blacks were available to be used against them.

Indeed a major reason why migration to NYC was slow until Euro migration began to decline is because blacks were EXCLUDED from those occupations occupied by whites immigrants. European workers were illtreated relative to native whites but definitely preferred over blacks, even though many had trade skills that they brought with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City