Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 07:40 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,566,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Time should be spent with a focus on the criminal element. Why only 800 guns seized after searching 700k, when we all know that guns are easily available?

Clearly energies are being spent in the wrong tactics. I can assure you that when Bratton went out to communities, explained his strategies. Explained his challenges (Long Island boys afraid of blacks) he began to win many over to him. You do recall Giuliani fired him because he was too popular.

Bratton used compstat as a tool to figure out where crime was occurring and of what type. He then deplyed resources wher it was most needed and paid especially attention to NYPD community relations.

Kelly uses compstat as a source of statistics to fool himself that dumbing down crimes, boosting stops suggest real crime fighting. His attitude to the communities is that they are all criminals until they prove themselves innocent. Certainly not people who he ought to work with.

Crime will only be solved when the police and the honest and willing segment of the community work together. Bratton was successful. Kelly is living off Bratton's success and we are beginning to see increasing crime despite way more stops than occurred in Bratton's day.

Here is the deal. Bratton was in the NY subway7s. Crime dropped. Went to Boston. Crime dropped. Went to NYPD. Crime dropped. Went to LAPD, after the Rodney riots. Crime dropped.

You really cant compare reductions in crime under Bratton with the much less signifuicant deecline under Kelly. Indeed we are now seeing crime spiking up again. As to reduced murders. Well maybe the hospitals are just saving more people. So lets use shootings as a gauge and even NYPD shows a significant spike in 2012 despite more stops and frisks until maybe a few weeks ago.
Well, I suppose it'll all come out in the wash if stop n frisk is ceased - we'll be able to see what effect that has within, say, six months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 07:50 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,381,509 times
BG7..I dunno if we can accurately know within 6 months whether stop & frisk was working. Why do I say this? Because there is no doubt Kelly will want to prove he is right, even if he is wrong, by instructing officers to "fall back" and let things happen, so there is an increase in crime. He can then harness the manufactured increase in crime, instill fear in the population, and say "See I was right, stop & frisk was the solution, so now we will reinstitute it, unless you want crime to increase further...and you don't want that now do you?"

Kelly will no doubt utilize this strategy, so we won't have an accurate assessment of real crime in NYC post stop &frisk. And it won't happen until Kelly is out and new leadership is brought in.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:04 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,566,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
BG7..I dunno if we can accurately know within 6 months whether stop & frisk was working. Why do I say this? Because there is no doubt Kelly will want to prove he is right, even if he is wrong, by instructing officers to "fall back" and let things happen, so there is an increase in crime.
Yes, being a guy with a significant ego, the temptation is there for him to do that. I'm not sure he would, but a new commissioner who isn't so personally invested in it and just wants to look at whether it works or not would be a better referee.

Old 07-13-2012, 12:17 PM

396 posts, read 1,008,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
Hi Sha, do you know what that new building on the Grand Concourse and Bedford Park is? Also that new building on Villa and Bedford?
Bedford Park is a new building for supportive housing by the Postgraduate Center for Mental Health. Villa Avenue and East 204 Street is affordable housing. I am creating a map of the Bedford/Fordham/Norwood area to show all these affordable and supportive housing constructions. You'd be surprised how many there are.

Old 07-13-2012, 12:38 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,257,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha83 View Post
Bedford Park is a new building for supportive housing by the Postgraduate Center for Mental Health. Villa Avenue and East 204 Street is affordable housing. I am creating a map of the Bedford/Fordham/Norwood area to show all these affordable and supportive housing constructions. You'd be surprised how many there are.
They also converted a Norwood apartment building, 17-19 West Mosholu Parkway North into a half homeless shelter, half residential building. It happened a couple of years ago. It came out in the Norwood News. They kept the whole project hush hush from the residents until it was too late and already finalized. Ever since, you see an increase of drunk, high and loud mouth low-lives roaming the neighborhood and streets of Jerome Ave. It's accelerating the ghettoness of the neighborhood.

Same goes for the Montefiore Hospital SATP program (substance abuse program-methadome clinic) on Jerome Ave under the train next to the parking garage. You have drug addicts from other parts of the Bronx flocking to Norwood seeking treatment and some plant their roots in Norwood. You have these losers walking around the area like Zombies, many of them are rowdy, further ghettofying the area. It's a shame if you ask me! I'm afraid what the future holds for Norwood.

Last edited by hilltopjay; 07-13-2012 at 12:51 PM..

Old 07-16-2012, 03:20 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,544,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
BG7..I dunno if we can accurately know within 6 months whether stop & frisk was working. Why do I say this? Because there is no doubt Kelly will want to prove he is right, even if he is wrong, by instructing officers to "fall back" and let things happen, so there is an increase in crime. He can then harness the manufactured increase in crime, instill fear in the population, and say "See I was right, stop & frisk was the solution, so now we will reinstitute it, unless you want crime to increase further...and you don't want that now do you?"

Kelly will no doubt utilize this strategy, so we won't have an accurate assessment of real crime in NYC post stop &frisk. And it won't happen until Kelly is out and new leadership is brought in.
Kelly will have to get people to believe that in the month or so since he has "pulled bhack" thousands of guns flooded NYC. Problem with this is his stopand frisks only netted 800 guns.

So he is still left looking like a moron if he thinks that this is working when every one knows it clearly isnt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City