Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 04:39 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,250,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
You are missing the point ! That's not why they do it. They think they are being "political." The same happens around here. One of the young people in my neighborhood explained to me that people in his church were telling them how to annoy the "new people" - litter, try to hold them up getting on the train, make noise. Hang out on the steps all night. Increase the motorbike-brat presence. Take up the whole park with barbecues populated by sullen and hostile people. And so on.

And yes, this is a true story.
I think some like the super are definitely pushing buttons, hence why I said it. Are they all doing it? Prob not. In every similar neighborhood in the Bronx there are people that hang out in the street like that. Some people really just that ghetto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 04:43 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,250,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post

The South Bronx gives gentrifiers the welcome they deserve - YouTube

Goodluck with gentrifying the Bronx. From reading this article, I know that many poor people of Washington Heights and East Harlem are being pushed to move to the Bronx but at the sametime local Bronxites want to improve their areas aswell as real estate speculators and media outlets like the NYT wanting to beef up the presence of the South Bronx. Also with the Melinnieal generation or Gen Y who are highly Urban reject Suburban sensablities, I give the Bronx another five to ten more years to Gentifiy until the Gen Y after college population dries up after college. I see more and more people of my age moving to my neck of the woods of the South Bronx who you would probably see in LES and Billyburg.
Click on the vid and go to you****. The little blurb shown here on the forum doesn't tell the whole story.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:50 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,933,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
This MAY be a true story..but the same can be said for the "gentrifiers" that post about how they are going to take over neighborhoods and get rid of the ghetto people. So why be surprised that the locals are pushing back? Neither sides are representative of their respective populations. If you believe the locals are busy littering to annoy you, or having block parties just so you can't sleep..you are sorely mistaken. If you believe the hipsters are moving into the ghetto for the sole purpose of paying 1.5x the rent of the locals so that they can take over the building and neighborhood, you are sorely mistaken also.

So let's bring this all back to reality and stop with the BS hype (that means you Harlem).
The doing things deliberately is very much known.

Old 06-26-2012, 05:00 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,084,509 times
Quote:
The doing things deliberately is very much known.
I definitely believe it.When I was spending a lot of time in The South Bronx looking at co ops,on more than one occasion I found myself closely followed by people having loud conversations about "all these white people moving to The Bronx".There was no doubt in my mind that it was done to try to make me feel uncomfortable because they were talking in louder than normal tones in order to be heard.

I never heard anything like this in all my years of going to and from work in the South Bronx,maybe because I am a teacher and they sense that during the week.LOL,it must have been seeing me around on the weekends that bugged them.

It worked,to some degree at least,because I did think about it when I made my decision to pass on the South Bronx and bought a place in Pelham Parkway.It wasn't the deciding factor but it was a piece of it.

Last edited by bluedog2; 06-26-2012 at 05:15 PM..

Old 06-26-2012, 05:04 PM

34,098 posts, read 47,316,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post

The South Bronx gives gentrifiers the welcome they deserve - YouTube

Goodluck with gentrifying the Bronx. From reading this article, I know that many poor people of Washington Heights and East Harlem are being pushed to move to the Bronx but at the sametime local Bronxites want to improve their areas aswell as real estate speculators and media outlets like the NYT wanting to beef up the presence of the South Bronx. Also with the Melinnieal generation or Gen Y who are highly Urban reject Suburban sensablities, I give the Bronx another five to ten more years to Gentifiy until the Gen Y after college population dries up after college. I see more and more people of my age moving to my neck of the woods of the South Bronx who you would probably see in LES and Billyburg.
This is the reality that sucks. To be honest the south Bronx isn't going anywhere anytime soon because that's where all the poor from Harlem and Washington Heights are going. Same thing is happening in Brooklyn. Everybody from Crown Heights is moving to East New York and right now my peoples in Brooklyn are telling me for the 1st time the East actually has a slight nod over Brownsville in which neighborhood is worse.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-26-2012, 07:26 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,054,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
This is the reality that sucks. To be honest the south Bronx isn't going anywhere anytime soon because that's where all the poor from Harlem and Washington Heights are going. Same thing is happening in Brooklyn. Everybody from Crown Heights is moving to East New York and right now my peoples in Brooklyn are telling me for the 1st time the East actually has a slight nod over Brownsville in which neighborhood is worse.
I agree 7fl. Truth is, the South Bronx has been poor for many years and its not because of Ricans and Blacks and now because of Dominicans and Mexicans, from what I read and old timers who used to live in my area, they told me it was poor back then too and people playing on the street, open fire hydrants, gangs etc. If the poor still remain in the South Bronx the area wont go anywhere. Certain parts of the South Bronx might see some sort of improvement but much of it wont. I also agree that the increase of poor people I have seen in my area either lived in Brooklyn, Harlem and Washington Heights. Today I took a walk in and around Mott Haven, I made it too 149 and Grand Concourse and I see Transplantish folks with college jersies and flip flops coming out of the subway station and they were white too, and I'm shaking my head why these folks wanna move over here, not because they are white but because of quality of life issues which is a polar opposite from protected heliocopterparent communities that these Transplants are used too.

As for East New York in Brooklyn? I passed through there a few weeks ago, nothing worth mentioning in that area besides newly built housing for lower income people. I do like some of the two family homes though.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:01 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,868,687 times
Who watched the slide show? Solara's residents were not a bunch of hipsters. Rather, they were mostly minorities - blacks, latinos and other people of color - with roots in the neighborhood. It's just that they happened to save money responsibly and now want to establish homestead and a better way of life in the neighborhood that they know.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:11 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,139,928 times
Quote:
try to hold them up getting on the train, make noise. Hang out on the steps all night. Increase the motorbike-brat presence.
I was in Harlem recently and briefly sat in a very tiny but beautiful park on the corner of Frederick Douglas Blvd and 122nd St while I was making a phone call. During the 10 minutes I was out there, one of these motorbike brat packs must have been nearby because the noise was deafening, and it went on for a few minutes.

In my neighborhood, I will occasionally hear a loud motorcycle (and sometimes car alarms go off because the motorcycle makes such a racket) but there are no packs of motorcycles. I was surprised when I heard the Harlem pack and grateful this is not a QOL issue I have to deal with where I live.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:45 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,332,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Who watched the slide show? Solara's residents were not a bunch of hipsters. Rather, they were mostly minorities - blacks, latinos and other people of color - with roots in the neighborhood. It's just that they happened to save money responsibly and now want to establish homestead and a better way of life in the neighborhood that they know.
Yeah, I noticed that too. Crabs in a barrel..

Old 06-26-2012, 09:46 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,895,290 times
its not like cameras cant be spray painted on. if implemented they have to be on high plces out of reach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City