Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 03:47 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,381,509 times

Advertisements

Exactly ForestHills. And just to set the record straight, University Heights may not have housing projects, but it does have block after block of crumbling tenements which are almost all government assisted housing (Section 8, etc). Your housing projects are simply 5 stories high and crumbling...but other than that it's the same people, doing the same things, with all the same problems...just change "Puerto Rican" to "Dominicans".

I am all for people hanging out and having a good time, so long as it doesn't impact other people and inconvenience them..wouldn't you agree? You did agree in fact, as you call 311 when you have no water pressure...I guess that is you being an overly self-entitled loser? These people don't want them hanging out in front of their building..they can hang out in front of their own building!

The sidewalk is not a park..walk yourself a few blocks, have a BBQ, play your music, and then nobody cares..see how that works? Occupying a sidewalk, blasting music, and BBQing a pernil in front of someone else's building is simply ridiculous in an of itself, but the residents don't want it in front of their building either. I hope they continue the fight, and if they utilize my recommended methods, they will win.

Trust me when I say these people are extremely lazy and simpletons, and while they claim they are "not going anywhere", if you inconvenience THEM they will move. Take it from someone who knows, and has dealt with it forever.

I am not sure the width of the building or the sidewalk but add as many large/heavy/concrete planters, and 15 gallons of Ammonia (just an estimate) every Friday/Sat/Sun, before they congregate, grab a brush and pretend to scrub it for a few minutes, and let it sit all day. Have more on standby if you notice anyone begin to congregate and quickly start pouring more and "scrubbing", being very polite to them with "excuse me" and "I'm sorry" but being very focused on "cleaning that sidewalk". Make sure to also throw it on the front of the building if possible and the street.

Nobody will sit on a sidewalk reeking of ammonia, nor will anyone want to BBQ or eat anything either. The key is to be consistent and do it every weekend, regardless of whether they show up or not for 3 months, or whatever days they typically do it.

Last edited by SobroGuy; 06-27-2012 at 03:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 03:57 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,566,007 times
Mario - You don't see anything wrong with them opening fire hydrants but acknowledge that it causes a reduction in water pressure, even in your apt? Ask the FDNY trying to fight some multi-story tenement fire on your street in the height of hot summer how they feel about the low water pressure!

Old 06-27-2012, 04:15 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,132,661 times
Delete.

Last edited by checkmatechamp13; 06-27-2012 at 04:25 PM..

Old 06-27-2012, 04:59 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,053,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Exactly ForestHills. And just to set the record straight, University Heights may not have housing projects, but it does have block after block of crumbling tenements which are almost all government assisted housing (Section 8, etc). Your housing projects are simply 5 stories high and crumbling...but other than that it's the same people, doing the same things, with all the same problems...just change "Puerto Rican" to "Dominicans".
Why do you keep rehashing this lie? According to the official community district page, 65% of Mott Haven's residents are reliant on some sort of income assistance. In contrast, University Heights is 49% in one of it's districts and 60% in it's other (which includes really poor Morris Heights and south Fordham). I live on the 49% side, so thank's for playing.

BTW, the median rent in University Heights is $825, which is not too far from the Bronx average of $827, furthermore the average income is $28,503. You want to see Mott Haven? Are you sure? Try rent at $485 and average income at $19,864. You can find all those numbers here: //www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...-Bronx-NY.html

//www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...-Bronx-NY.html

University Heights may be economically depressed, but it's not entrenched in the profound miserable poverty that Mott Haven is in. SeventhFL, BlueDog, and any other who is reading this post. Remember this for the next time Guywithacause mentions crumbling tenements and poverty in University Heights. Bronxguyanese, remember this post too, cause you also seem to think we rely on more assistance than you guys. WRONG. Sobro, I know you, despite having these numbers smack you across the face, will still rehash the same thing. Are there residents here who rely on Section 8? Sure there is, but it's nothing compared to your people and blacks down there in the "southern Bronx" lol.

Since you keep using the same false argument, I wonder if your confusing University Heights with Morris Heights, which actually is much poorer than UH, and closer to "southern Bronx" poverty. The only central Bronx neighborhood that actually deals with the same welfare parasites that you guys deal with is East Tremont and West Farms. Surprise, surprise, two heavily PR / black neighborhoods. University Heights is identical to Mt Hope/Tremont area in income and demographics, an income level which is much better than most nabes in the Boogie.

Quote:
I am all for people hanging out and having a good time, so long as it doesn't impact other people and inconvenience them..wouldn't you agree? You did agree in fact, as you call 311 when you have no water pressure...I guess that is you being an overly self-entitled loser? These people don't want them hanging out in front of their building..they can hang out in front of their own building!
I agree. But I have said that if it doesn't mess with the water pressure, I have no problem with it. I did not know they were not from the Solara, in that case, yes you have a point. If you're going to loiter, do so in front of your building.

I'm not really disagreeing with anyone. All I am saying is that people have a right to hang out in front of their buildings, as long as they are not doing anything illegal.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Mario - You don't see anything wrong with them opening fire hydrants but acknowledge that it causes a reduction in water pressure, even in your apt? Ask the FDNY trying to fight some multi-story tenement fire on your street in the height of hot summer how they feel about the low water pressure!
Yeah in that case I have a problem with it. If it doesn't affect me, I don't care. It's not 1979 anymore, fires hardly ever happen. In the case that it does, I'm sure the firefighters will deal with the issue quickly and get the job done.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:17 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,486,875 times
I am really sorry to hear that. It sucks when moderate income people work hard to buy a home and have to coexist with vermin. It makes me think of all of the undeserving people that receive promotions; they get to live in neighborhoods where they do not have to deal with this. An education mean nothing unless you are connected to the right people.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:44 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,139,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Yeah in that case I have a problem with it. If it doesn't affect me, I don't care. It's not 1979 anymore, fires hardly ever happen. In the case that it does, I'm sure the firefighters will deal with the issue quickly and get the job done.
That's why my building decided to allow all of us to use our fire escapes as patios -- we can now put beach chairs and little gardens right outside our windows! And air conditioners if we want to! Because "fires hardly ever happen" and even if they do, the "firefighters will deal with the issue."

So glad the coop board finally saw the light and I can enjoy my beach days right outside my bedroom window!

Old 06-27-2012, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
That's why my building decided to allow all of us to use our fire escapes as patios -- we can now put beach chairs and little gardens right outside our windows! And air conditioners if we want to! Because "fires hardly ever happen" and even if they do, the "firefighters will deal with the issue."

So glad the coop board finally saw the light and I can enjoy my beach days right outside my bedroom window!
I'm so happy for you Henna, that's great news!

Old 06-27-2012, 07:51 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,054,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I am really sorry to hear that. It sucks when moderate income people work hard to buy a home and have to coexist with vermin. It makes me think of all of the undeserving people that receive promotions; they get to live in neighborhoods where they do not have to deal with this. An education mean nothing unless you are connected to the right people.
So true, it really makes no sense to live in a little piece of tranquility in sea surrounded by ghetto element. Thats the price you pay for buying cheap in the hood. If I wanted to buy some tranquility I would move out the city. At the end of day I do feel sorry for both Coop owners and the lower working class folks who are both are trying to enjoy the way they live however its a polar opposites of one another and both camps will never agree.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:23 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,054,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
I really don't see what's wrong with people hanging out in front of their building. We humans are not supposed to live crammed up in a 6 story building. This is not natural. Many of the people loitering are just there to get fresh air, and to socialize with their neighbors. As for parkland? Some people live far from actual parks, and when it is nice outside, the park is full of people. It doesn't have the advantage of being close to home either. Where as, if you're chilling on the block, your apartment is right there. No wasted money on gas, metrocards, and doctor scholls (if you walk far enough). As for the fire hydrant? big deal. In my block and neighborhood, all the fire hydrants open full blast on extremely hot days. Nobody is doing anything wrong, unless trying to cool down is wrong. I will however concede, that I have called 311 a couple of times when the open hydrant restricts water to my apartment. They are really slow to respond though, but that's another topic. As long as I still have access to water, I live and let live.

The southern Bronx sucks. That is a basic fact of life. Too many Puerto Ricans and African Americans, who don't go to school, and who are in generational poverty. The real killer of the south Bronx is all the housing projects. Where I live, you'd have to go pretty far to encounter NYCHA. Not so in the neighborhoods south of 174th street. Those people who moved into the Coops should have done research. I can't believe that a elderly man sitting on a lawn chair suddenly becomes a quality of life issue to these overly sensitive entitled losers.

If the loiterers are selling drugs, smoking weed, robbing and assaulting people , etc then I understand wanting them to leave. That should not be tolerated. But just sitting down socializing, or having a BBQ, or listening to Soca/reggae/calypso (this is directed to you BXguyanese, stop using Merengue as an example, it's not PR music, Salsa is), really? lol
No it was Merengue, besides Sergio Vargas is a classic. I grew up amongst Puerto Ricans and Dominicans and also Mexicans and able to differentiate different sounds, tempos, beats and pace of the music and its origins. Yeah I'm a multicultural douche bag if that makes you happy! As for my people we only cause a problem during backyard house parties were we blast music well beyond 4:00 am where it only becomes a quality of life issue once a week compared to your folks who become a nuisance to a group of coop board people everyday because of hanging out in front of a fire hydrant. Back in the day I used to cross over the Harlem River to go to the pool instead of playing in an fire hydrant. I agree these people should have done their research but that's the price you pay for buying property in the hood. Yeah Southern Bronx does suck and so does University Heights. Im still questioning why I saw a white couple pushing an expensive stroller up Willis Avenue and making a detour to their brownstone two days ago. I will check out University heights If I see something similar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City