Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 01:17 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,257,337 times

Advertisements

They should have never relaxed the stop & frisk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 04:38 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,543,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
They should have never relaxed the stop & frisk.

As Kelly says. "Go for QUALITY. Not quantity". In other words focus on the REAL criminals, not some kid returning home for college or church.

Now why would you have a problem with that? If the cops focus their energies on the real criminals then they will be more effective in reducing crime.

That is unless you are one of those who thinks being black/latin, male and between 15-35 is in itself a crime. In that case then any one who fits that description can be frisked.

As for me, I will rather the cops get to know who the real perps in these nieghborhoods are, who they hang out with (potential perps) and focus their energies on them.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:14 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,242,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
focus on the REAL criminals, not some kid returning home for college or church.
You really think that this is what the NYPD is doing?
Quote:
rather the cops get to know who the real perps in these nieghborhoods are, who they hang out with (potential perps) and focus their energies on them.
Again, you really think that the NYPD doesn't know who the ex-cons are, and who is up to what? Problem with parolees is that NY case law prevents them from being questioned! So, all you can do is S&F them!

Old 07-06-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
You really think that this is what the NYPD is doing?

Again, you really think that the NYPD doesn't know who the ex-cons are, and who is up to what? Problem with parolees is that NY case law prevents them from being questioned! So, all you can do is S&F them!

Are you seriously trying to tell me that stopping Dennis Walcott a DEPUTY MAYOR is a good use of a polic man's time? And even this apologist for Bloomberg had to concede that he was quite unhappy with how he was accosted.

So tell me what was the cop thinking when he stopped Walcott? Did he expect to find a gun, or was this middled aged man out robbing bodegas?

So you think a middle aged VERY middle class looking black man is a suspect?

If the NYPD knows who the cons are why are over 90% of those stopped not arrested? Why does almost 700k stops result in only 800 gun seizures and with the other 99% not even carrying a knife or some other weapon.

Now if they know who these folks are oughtnt we see much higher arrest rates? And way more than 800 gun seizures?

Think before you answer.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:07 AM

3,244 posts, read 5,242,905 times
Quote:
Are you seriously trying to tell me that stopping Dennis Walcott a DEPUTY MAYOR is a good use of a polic man's time? And even this apologist for Bloomberg had to concede that he was quite unhappy with how he was accosted.
Why don't you link to the story, where he backs the policy!
Schools Chancellor Walcott Was Stopped By Police But Still Supports Frisks - NY1.com
No one likes to be stopped by the police. But, it beats getting robbed by some gun-toting thug.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:04 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,380,404 times
Bigjake..since you believe in stop and frisk as an effective policy (since when does 92% NOT arrested a good policy!), do you support police searching all homes in NYC if they have the same "probable cause" as stop and frisk? And by that I mean, they will search your home if their are places the paint is peeling, if there is litter in front, or if there are dead/dying plants, because surely these are all reasons to indicate you are a drug dealer or criminal, right? And you will no doubt have the same results...hundreds of thousands of illegal searches yielding almost nothing.

So please, be the first to volunteer for cops to search your home.

Old 07-09-2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
Why don't you link to the story, where he backs the policy!
Schools Chancellor Walcott Was Stopped By Police But Still Supports Frisks - NY1.com
No one likes to be stopped by the police. But, it beats getting robbed by some gun-toting thug.

And my question still stands. Why was he stopped? How much time was wasted on stop him when time would have been better spent on stopping REAL gangtas.

Do you really think that Walcott will confront the mayor on this? BTW I heard the interview and noted when he said that he was not hapy with the attitude of the cops, or how he was treated.

I would love to be a fly in the room when he told Bloomberg what happened. ANy bets he was told to behave himself least he create ammunition for those who are suing the city of this?

Why do you think that NYPD with fewer cops available should stop a man like Wlcott he clearly doesnt fit any profile of a criminal, unless you are implying that being black is enough.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:49 AM

396 posts, read 1,008,593 times
Default Who Wants to Help?

I am really getting fed up how a lot of people complain, but so few people take any action in helping out their community. I'd LOVE to meet these folks at Solara and see how I can help. Ironically, I actually applied a few years ago to Solara and was accepted, but backed out at the interview last minute. I saw the writing on the wall. I lived in that neighborhood, first on Sherman Avenue, then on Sheridan. I literally had to leave in a hurry to maintain my sanity. It is appalling how people treat their neighborhood and then get upset when newcomers (or not-so-newcomers) try to improve it.

I posted this a few days ago, got 33 views, yet NO response. I'll say it again:

I am looking for community activists, parents, teachers, entrepreneurs, artists, etc.- anybody who work and/or lives here and has vested interest in the Bronx.