Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 01:05 PM

555 posts, read 1,184,142 times

Advertisements

1. The Mosquito Device, Mosquito Teen Deterrent Device, Mosquito Ultrasonic Sound Anti-Loitering Device This product works and is appearing outside many buildings and bodegas to eliminate loitering. This is another article on it from the huffington post: Kids Be Gone: High Pitch Only Teens Can Hear Used As Deterrent (AUDIO) However if you have older people, it is less effective so they created one that is effective for all ages. It is a small investment for this building that will provide excellent results. I recommend it.

2. Determine the typical times that the loiterers gather, and then "clean" the sidewalks with pure ammonia. Make sure it is soaked. For effect, you can also scrub it into the sidewalk to make it seem like you really are cleaning it. Do not rinse off..just let it stay. You must do this religiously, so that they EVENTUALLY just move elsewhere..and they will. Do not do it while they are there...you must do it right before.

ok I can def see why it would work lol, but to one better I say mix bleach with the ammonia...haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 01:22 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,380,404 times
Harlem:

Indeed the mentality is "well I have always taken a crap on the sidewalk here, so you should have known that when you moved here". It is completely unacceptable..just because you have always done something, does not make it ok or acceptable. The fact that they take no responsibility for their actions or behavior is accurate, unfortunately...and for some reason it is completely out of their hands? I cannot change, because..well...I always do this so end of story!

There is no doubt some people will get sick of it and move...that's expected. But a substantial number do stay..and that is what we have seen at most transitioning communities. I will agree that in Harlem there is a racial element, and if these people in the new building were white, there is no doubt racial undertones or outight accusations would be used.

Unfortunately, this is how it is in NYC and nothing new.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:25 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,932,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyc77 View Post
1. The Mosquito Device, Mosquito Teen Deterrent Device, Mosquito Ultrasonic Sound Anti-Loitering Device This product works and is appearing outside many buildings and bodegas to eliminate loitering. This is another article on it from the huffington post: Kids Be Gone: High Pitch Only Teens Can Hear Used As Deterrent (AUDIO) However if you have older people, it is less effective so they created one that is effective for all ages. It is a small investment for this building that will provide excellent results. I recommend it.

2. Determine the typical times that the loiterers gather, and then "clean" the sidewalks with pure ammonia. Make sure it is soaked. For effect, you can also scrub it into the sidewalk to make it seem like you really are cleaning it. Do not rinse off..just let it stay. You must do this religiously, so that they EVENTUALLY just move elsewhere..and they will. Do not do it while they are there...you must do it right before.

ok I can def see why it would work lol, but to one better I say mix bleach with the ammonia...haha
You know ... in fact, a lot of fast food interior design is developed toward that goal - to prevent loitering. Make an unfriendly environment. Who wants to sit with glaring pink ? It's simply exhausting, so people move on.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:26 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,082,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilldeadly View Post
If that was the case then every hood place would stay a hood place. Buying cheap and turning around the neighborhood is always a good idea. The people brave enough to do it are pretty amazing because they risk their safety.
But it sounds like the people in this article are not into the "brave" part.They didn't figure on it and don't want to deal with it.They seem very surprised by it.It sounds like the only part of the formula that you have outlined that they wanted was the "buying cheap" part.

“We’re having second thoughts about whether this was the right move,†said Martinez, an administrator at Lincoln Hospital who is president of the co-op’s shareholder board."

These people were subsidized by the taxpayers of NYC( us) to move into this neighborhood but now they don't want the neighborhood part of the bargain.Why did they think the place was built where it was and why did they think their purchase was subsidized?

The only difference between this story and HarlemNewbie's thread of last summer is that we didn't subsidize her rent.//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...t=harlemnewbie

How can people actually buy( or rent) in a neighborhood and then be surprised at the character of the neighborhood after they move in ?

Old 06-25-2012, 01:28 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,380,404 times
Bluedog: I think you tend to underestimate the effect until you actually have to live it day-in, day out.

NYC77...stop being crazy...I do NOT recommend mixing bleach with ammonia!!

Old 06-25-2012, 01:47 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,619,083 times
It seems like having a neighborhood full of devices that make a constant unpleasant sound is much worse than the problem it's trying to fix, no?

Old 06-25-2012, 01:58 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,867,684 times
There is the bigger problem of the next door apartment residents throwing garbage and other refuse into the co-op's lot. Now that's not something you can just move.

Old 06-25-2012, 02:28 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,564,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
It seems like having a neighborhood full of devices that make a constant unpleasant sound is much worse than the problem it's trying to fix, no?

Some would say they already have a neigborhood full of devices that make a constant unpleasant sound.

Old 06-25-2012, 03:01 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,257,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMW View Post
The ugly, savage, disgusting, animalistic poor give those of us who are just poor a bad name. They should learn to have some shame, but then they'd probably kill themselves over their past vulgarity.
And these type of people are exactly the type who I refer to when I say GHETTO PEOPLE. Now I hope you all understand where I'm coming from next time you see me put down ghetto people.

The facts are you CAN'T have anything nice without ghetto a$$ people ruining it. I've been saying that for the longest. Believe me, I know what I'm talking about. There's only one effective way to better a neighborhood and I've also said it many times but it didn't hit home to many then but maybe now it will...you must EITHER eliminate RENT STABILIZATION all together OR REFORM it so that landlords can choose NOT TO RENEW a RS tenant's lease.

It's that simple. It's an inconvenient truth to many but the facts are that these ghetto people in the south Bronx (as well as other ghetto parts of the city) are Rent Stabilized tenants and are ENTITLED to get their lease renewed. A landlord is helpless in removing a tenant unless the landlord has a mountain of proof to present a housing judge and even then, that's not a guarantee eviction.

I say keep the "stabilization" part of Rent Stabilization but REMOVE the automatic lease renewal and Landlords will be able to remove undesirable ghetto people from their building and ultimately neighborhood. You will get a much quicker result doing it this way than any other way. Until that is done, it will be practically impossible to change that neighborhood in a reasonable amount of time.

Last edited by hilltopjay; 06-25-2012 at 04:07 PM..

Old 06-25-2012, 03:21 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,932,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
The facts are you CAN'T have anything nice without ghetto a$$ people ruining it. I've been saying that for the longest. Believe me, I know what I'm talking about. There's only one effective way to better a neighborhood and I've also said it many times but it didn't hit home to many then but maybe now it will...you must EITHER eliminate RENT STABILIZATION all together OR REFORM it so that landlords can choose NOT TO RENEW a RS tenant's lease.
FYI - Few of the ghetto people around here live in rent stabilized apartments.

Moreover, landlords have trouble evicting all problem people from all rentals. This will increase, because the city is hysterical about the growing numbers of the homeless. At the same time, they are also far more sympathetic to working - and middle-class people, and the ghetto types, such as those who proliferate around here, will be replaced by them as regards traditional rent stabilized units.

I do not know about the Bronx, but in Harlem, ghetto people inevitably live in "social service" buildings, owned by West Harlem Group assistance, ECDO, etc. These were, or actually usually still are, city-owned buildings given to these groups provisionally. It is my guess that this industry is growing, and rapidly, because more and more of these places spring up every day. I don't know if all are rent stabilized, but in any case, that matters little because they will not be evicted.

Such buildings are absolute bottom, nuisance and violent tenants, poorly maintained, ill-trained and unresponsive "management." Actually, I have realized that the "management" personnel are likely drawn from the pool of tenants they manage. And as is the case with all developments, none of the higher-up people actually live in or near the neighborhoods they ruin with these groups of tenants. This is a serious issue in Central Harlem. It is all marketed under "affordable housing" - but it is not. Not at all. It is housing for the generationally poor, career welfare recipients and that whole lifestyle.

Last edited by Harlem resident; 06-25-2012 at 03:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City