Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 02:31 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,257,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
I would advise the people in the co-op to develop a relationship with the precinct. It will help. If cops think you care about your neighborhood they see that.

That picture of the old puertorican looking man sitting by the no loittering sign is hilarious btw...and judging by what he says in the article he is definitely doing it on purpose and trying to push buttons. The Bronx has the most parkland of any borough. You could get lost in Van Cortlandt and not come out for a month. There is no excuse for people hanging out on the street like that...
Totally agree!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 02:45 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,932,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
I would advise the people in the co-op to develop a relationship with the precinct. It will help. If cops think you care about your neighborhood they see that.

That picture of the old puertorican looking man sitting by the no loittering sign is hilarious btw...and judging by what he says in the article he is definitely doing it on purpose and trying to push buttons. The Bronx has the most parkland of any borough. You could get lost in Van Cortlandt and not come out for a month. There is no excuse for people hanging out on the street like that...
You are missing the point ! That's not why they do it. They think they are being "political." The same happens around here. One of the young people in my neighborhood explained to me that people in his church were telling them how to annoy the "new people" - litter, try to hold them up getting on the train, make noise. Hang out on the steps all night. Increase the motorbike-brat presence. Take up the whole park with barbecues populated by sullen and hostile people. And so on.

And yes, this is a true story.

Old 06-26-2012, 02:49 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,564,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
You are missing the point ! That's not why they do it. They think they are being "political." The same happens around here. One of the young people in my neighborhood explained to me that people in his church were telling them how to annoy the "new people" - litter, try to hold them up getting on the train, make noise. Hang out on the steps all night. Increase the motorbike-brat presence. Take up the whole park with barbecues populated by sullen and hostile people. And so on.

And yes, this is a true story.
wow.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:16 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,932,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
wow.
Don't you think ?
He is a nice kid himself, however.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:52 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,380,404 times
This MAY be a true story..but the same can be said for the "gentrifiers" that post about how they are going to take over neighborhoods and get rid of the ghetto people. So why be surprised that the locals are pushing back? Neither sides are representative of their respective populations. If you believe the locals are busy littering to annoy you, or having block parties just so you can't sleep..you are sorely mistaken. If you believe the hipsters are moving into the ghetto for the sole purpose of paying 1.5x the rent of the locals so that they can take over the building and neighborhood, you are sorely mistaken also.

So let's bring this all back to reality and stop with the BS hype (that means you Harlem).

Old 06-26-2012, 04:15 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,089,626 times
Quote:
The ugly, savage, disgusting, animalistic poor give those of us who are just poor a bad name
The ugly, savage, disgusting, animalistic RICH aren't so hot either.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:18 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,543,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
About this - one of her self-proclaimed relatives said, "She had a rap sheet, sure, just like everyone else ..."

That's what you are talking about. That is the mentality.

I believe the community came out in support because the family has filed an enormous wrongful death lawsuit. One of her "cousins" (again, self-proclaimed) stated the very next day after her death that the family was going after the city "big." They are trying to create a press hype for that.

And so this is the problem. There are legitimate reasons to debate stop and frisk (as it is currently implemented) and to debate the crowding out of the lower middle and working poor out of NYC.

But along comes the poverty pimps (Black/Latin politicians) who love the dysfunctional as it "legitimizes" (so they think) their demand for more "programs" to allow little black boys to play ball all day instead of developing skills and attitudes that will help them in the long run.

Imagine if there was a focus on reducing dysfunction. Then what will happen to all the politically connected ghetto politicians who will suddenly need to get a real job as fewer depend on "programs".

Maybe they actually wish a city of the very rich and the dysfunctional poor. Execpt that the very rich are tired of paying to support the dysfunctional poor......this they dont seem to understand.

But they want to make a fool of poor Francelot Graham (Ramarley'sdad) whose 4 sons have all touched the criminal justice system...at least two of whom being hardened gang bangers who are now off to jail. How come the poverticians werent interested in helping him before they got into trouble? He claims that he has worked every day in his life so I will assume that neither him, his wife nor his baby mama (thats a whole other debate) actually endorse criminal behavior that most if not all of their offspring seem to have indulged in.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
For once, I agree with you.

My problem with you is your tendency to sweep all who arent gentrifiers into the dysfunctional poor category so feel that there should not be a debate about how to help land lords house the working poor and lower middle class, many of whom perform functions that they city needs, and many of whom are as disgusted with the dysfunctionals as you and I are.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
.Instead of these new "affordable housing" buildings being rentals, they should of been CO-OPS and encourage OWNERSHIP among the residents. Owners are more likely to take care of their property and neighborhood than renters. As Jad2k noted, they are pro-active in making sure to complain to the authorities for change to occur. Renters don't do that.

Maybe "rent to own" where a % of the rent goes towards the purchase. We have already seen what encouraging people whose incomes arent stable to get mortgages causes. I am referring to the lower middle class here as a stroll thru the lower middle class parts of the Bronx, Brooklyn and Queens will allow one to see how serious the foreclosure problem is.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:31 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,052,004 times

The South Bronx gives gentrifiers the welcome they deserve - YouTube

Goodluck with gentrifying the Bronx. From reading this article, I know that many poor people of Washington Heights and East Harlem are being pushed to move to the Bronx but at the sametime local Bronxites want to improve their areas aswell as real estate speculators and media outlets like the NYT wanting to beef up the presence of the South Bronx. Also with the Melinnieal generation or Gen Y who are highly Urban reject Suburban sensablities, I give the Bronx another five to ten more years to Gentifiy until the Gen Y after college population dries up after college. I see more and more people of my age moving to my neck of the woods of the South Bronx who you would probably see in LES and Billyburg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City