Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 12:14 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,543,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
FYI - Few of the ghetto people around here live in rent stabilized apartments.

Such buildings are absolute bottom, nuisance and violent tenants, poorly maintained, ill-trained and unresponsive "management." Actually, I have realized that the "management" personnel are likely drawn from the pool of tenants they manage. And as is the case with all developments, none of the higher-up people actually live in or near the neighborhoods they ruin with these groups of tenants. This is a serious issue in Central Harlem. It is all marketed under "affordable housing" - but it is not. Not at all. It is housing for the generationally poor, career welfare recipients and that whole lifestyle.

Well this is NYC. A city for the very rich and the dysfunctional poor. Every one else is being forced out. The reason why people are skeptical about gentrification "improving" the neighborhood is that the leaches whose occupation is to survive off the taxpayers dont move. Its the working poor and lower middle class who cant afford $3,000 for rent in market rate buildings who leave. Thus removing the very people who might well be good role models to the dysfunctional set.

The best way to show kids that there is a better way is when they see people who arent that different from them making better choices. But if their role is defined by Mr Investment Banker (who they see as occupying a world not attainable to them) and Ms Angry Baby Mama and her thug sons (who she only remembers when they get shot) then nothing changes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 12:17 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,380,404 times
Thats spot on.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:25 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,543,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Thats spot on.

Further more we need to start exposing most of our black/Latino socalled leaders for the opportunistist pimps that they are. Imagine they organize protests in Brooklyn because the police shot some woman who was in a stolen vehicle, and was attempting to injure the cops by refusing to stop when they approached. Turns out that she allegedly tried to commit murder, yet we are told to ignore and listen to her family claim how angelic she is.

This while the cops harrass college kids going home at night from classes. Clearly these charlatans dont wish to stop the abusive aspects of the infamous stop & frisk. They and the ACLU freaks just want TV cameras.

Why dont "our" politicians ever champion the cause of the good people in these poor communities who fac harrassment from both the bad people and the cops. I guess their attempts at self reliance means less of a need for social programs which are patronage mills.

Oh for the days of MLK when our leaders actually wanted to improve our communities.

Wh we tolerate this is baffling.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:40 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,932,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Further more we need to start exposing most of our black/Latino socalled leaders for the opportunistist pimps that they are. Imagine they organize protests in Brooklyn because the police shot some woman who was in a stolen vehicle, and was attempting to injure the cops by refusing to stop when they approached. Turns out that she allegedly tried to commit murder, yet we are told to ignore and listen to her family claim how angelic she is.

This while the cops harrass college kids going home at night from classes. Clearly these charlatans dont wish to stop the abusive aspects of the infamous stop & frisk. They and the ACLU freaks just want TV cameras.

Why dont "our" politicians ever champion the cause of the good people in these poor communities who fac harrassment from both the bad people and the cops. I guess their attempts at self reliance means less of a need for social programs which are patronage mills.

Oh for the days of MLK when our leaders actually wanted to improve our communities.

Wh we tolerate this is baffling.
And if you try to influence people to think differently, not to tolerate things ?
Well ... heaven help you, suffice to say.
I experience that every day, and from people who are basically shooting themselves in the foot. They complain about "gentrification" and their victimization there, and yet they contribute, and HUGELY so, to the maintenance of the ghetto that will make Harlem a perfect target for gentrifiers. How did Columbia find themselves able to exercise eminent domain ? The wrote a lengthy paper proving the "urban blight" of the area. And they were right.

Regarding politicians, there is more press in embracing the ghetto folk and their lifestyle.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:45 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,932,781 times
Quote:
About this - one of her self-proclaimed relatives said, "She had a rap sheet, sure, just like everyone else ..."

That's what you are talking about. That is the mentality.

I believe the community came out in support because the family has filed an enormous wrongful death lawsuit. One of her "cousins" (again, self-proclaimed) stated the very next day after her death that the family was going after the city "big." They are trying to create a press hype for that.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:02 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,331,727 times
Interesting article and thread. A couple of thoughts: neighborhoods transition. It might be a long battle but look at some of the notorious ghettos of recent NYC history, many of these places have done a complete 180. It takes "non-ghetto" people moving in to make that change because they are the ones that complain about every QOL issue: garbage, noise, loitering, etc and will keep complaining until something gets done. And if the city doesn't do it, then they will organize themselves to make sure it gets done. I know in my case, every QOL issue that has come up near my building is met with numerous calls or emails to whatever organization or company that can address the issue. We have an email list and message group for the building to discuss and address issues (in addition to a condo board, of course). Garbage on the sidewalk? Everyone call 311 to get garbage cans installed on the side walk. Empty lot across the street has flood lights on all night? Everyone call the number listed on the sign and tell them to turn it off/down. The city want's to move a bus stop to in front of the building? Everyone call and write the DOT (seems we won't win that one though ). Since it's a large development and there are a lot of us, we can organize easily and in mass to change things that directly impact our QOL.

Also what's interesting is the developers that build in these areas. They can make strategic choices about where specifically in the neighborhood they build and what the do during construction to deter "ghetto nuisances". In my case, I live in what I'd call a very well thought out new building. There are some neighbors on the block that have late night weekend summer BBQs; complete with full-on dance club quality speakers out on the side walk! Clearly, the developer that built the building must have taken some of the neighbor's current "habits" into consideration because I don't know what type of double panned glass was used, but you can hardly hear a thing when the windows are closed- they are THAT efficient at keeping out sound, it's really amazing. Also, there is retail space at the base of the building but any business selling food or alcohol are barred from opening up. The developer did not want any business that would encourage vermin, loitering, or rowdy behavior. So it seems that with some of these developers, they are mindful of QOL concerns that new [middle class and/or "non-ghetto"] people moving in would find annoying.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:21 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,257,337 times
Quote:
Well this is NYC. A city for the very rich and the dysfunctional poor. Every one else is being forced out. The reason why people are skeptical about gentrification "improving" the neighborhood is that the leaches whose occupation is to survive off the taxpayers dont move. Its the working poor and lower middle class who cant afford $3,000 for rent in market rate buildings who leave. Thus removing the very people who might well be good role models to the dysfunctional set.

The best way to show kids that there is a better way is when they see people who arent that different from them making better choices. But if their role is defined by Mr Investment Banker (who they see as occupying a world not attainable to them) and Ms Angry Baby Mama and her thug sons (who she only remembers when they get shot) then nothing changes.
For once, I agree with you.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:39 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,257,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
A couple of thoughts: neighborhoods transition. It might be a long battle but look at some of the notorious ghettos of recent NYC history, many of these places have done a complete 180. It takes "non-ghetto" people moving in to make that change because they are the ones that complain about every QOL issue: garbage, noise, loitering, etc and will keep complaining until something gets done. And if the city doesn't do it, then they will organize themselves to make sure it gets done. I know in my case, every QOL issue that has come up near my building is met with numerous calls or emails to whatever organization or company that can address the issue. We have an email list and message group for the building to discuss and address issues (in addition to a condo board, of course). Garbage on the sidewalk? Everyone call 311 to get garbage cans installed on the side walk. Empty lot across the street has flood lights on all night? Everyone call the number listed on the sign and tell them to turn it off/down. The city want's to move a bus stop to in front of the building? Everyone call and write the DOT (seems we won't win that one though ). Since it's a large development and there are a lot of us, we can organize easily and in mass to change things that directly impact our QOL.

Also what's interesting is the developers that build in these areas. They can make strategic choices about where specifically in the neighborhood they build and what the do during construction to deter "ghetto nuisances". In my case, I live in what I'd call a very well thought out new building. There are some neighbors on the block that have late night weekend summer BBQs; complete with full-on dance club quality speakers out on the side walk! Clearly, the developer that built the building must have taken some of the neighbor's current "habits" into consideration because I don't know what type of double panned glass was used, but you can hardly hear a thing when the windows are closed- they are THAT efficient at keeping out sound, it's really amazing. Also, there is retail space at the base of the building but any business selling food or alcohol are barred from opening up. The developer did not want any business that would encourage vermin, loitering, or rowdy behavior. So it seems that with some of these developers, they are mindful of QOL concerns that new [middle class and/or "non-ghetto"] people moving in would find annoying.

VERY TRUE!!! This is why I've always said the Bronx needs more "Non-ghetto" people moving in with higher incomes than the current residents in order to spark change and diversify or water-down the "ghettoness" of the neighborhood. Some of these Bronx neighborhoods are so concentrated with "hood" people that it breeds a new generation of ghetto people allowing the cycle to continue.

What I don't like happening is these NEW "affordable housing" buildings going up which cater to the very same crowd that makes the Bronx ghetto. These new "affordable housing" buildings cater to the very low income/destitute population of the Bronx. Are these the type of people we should really be catering to in order to "improve" the Bronx? I don't think so. If anything, these new "affordable housing" buildings attract displaced ghetto people from other places such as Harlem and central Brooklyn. So more ghetto type wind up living in the Bronx because the housing that fit their needs and budget are available in the Bronx.

Instead of these new "affordable housing" buildings being rentals, they should of been CO-OPS and encourage OWNERSHIP among the residents. Owners are more likely to take care of their property and neighborhood than renters. As Jad2k noted, they are pro-active in making sure to complain to the authorities for change to occur. Renters don't do that.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:50 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,592,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
Instead of these new "affordable housing" buildings being rentals, they should of been CO-OPS and encourage OWNERSHIP among the residents. Owners are more likely to take care of their property and neighborhood than renters. As Jad2k noted, they are pro-active in making sure to complain to the authorities for change to occur.
Normally I don't agree 100% with the stuff you write, but what you said just now sounds like a "hand up" instead of a "handout" ... and that's a good thing.

Last edited by grimace8; 06-26-2012 at 02:00 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-26-2012, 02:02 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,248,887 times
I would advise the people in the co-op to develop a relationship with the precinct. It will help. If cops think you care about your neighborhood they see that.

That picture of the old puertorican looking man sitting by the no loittering sign is hilarious btw...and judging by what he says in the article he is definitely doing it on purpose and trying to push buttons. The Bronx has the most parkland of any borough. You could get lost in Van Cortlandt and not come out for a month. There is no excuse for people hanging out on the street like that...

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 06-26-2012 at 02:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City