Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 04:44 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,250,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
I really don't see what's wrong with people hanging out in front of their building. We humans are not supposed to live crammed up in a 6 story building. This is not natural. Many of the people loitering are just there to get fresh air, and to socialize with their neighbors. As for parkland? Some people live far from actual parks, and when it is nice outside, the park is full of people. It doesn't have the advantage of being close to home either. Where as, if you're chilling on the block, your apartment is right there. No wasted money on gas, metrocards, and doctor scholls (if you walk far enough). As for the fire hydrant? big deal. In my block and neighborhood, all the fire hydrants open full blast on extremely hot days. Nobody is doing anything wrong, unless trying to cool down is wrong. I will however concede, that I have called 311 a couple of times when the open hydrant restricts water to my apartment. They are really slow to respond though, but that's another topic. As long as I still have access to water, I live and let live.

The southern Bronx sucks. That is a basic fact of life. Too many Puerto Ricans and African Americans, who don't go to school, and who are in generational poverty. The real killer of the south Bronx is all the housing projects. Where I live, you'd have to go pretty far to encounter NYCHA. Not so in the neighborhoods south of 174th street. Those people who moved into the Coops should have done research. I can't believe that a elderly man sitting on a lawn chair suddenly becomes a quality of life issue to these overly sensitive entitled losers.

If the loiterers are selling drugs, smoking weed, robbing and assaulting people , etc then I understand wanting them to leave. That should not be tolerated. But just sitting down socializing, or having a BBQ, or listening to Soca/reggae/calypso (this is directed to you BXguyanese, stop using Merengue as an example, it's not PR music, Salsa is), really? lol
Nope. Couldn't disagree with you more. The sidewalk is for transportation and loittering creates a hindrance to said transportation. It is also a nuisance. You say that because you have been around it so long that you have built up a big tolerance. I grew up in washington heights. I know what your talking about,but I know that just "hanging out" can lead to an infinite amount of ghetto drama and nonsense. These people are lazy and disrespectful. Hang out in your house! Hang out if front of your building not in front of someone else's.

The people who live in the co-op and don't like it aren't losers. Quite the contrary they actually care about the neighborhood and want something better for the neighborhood. They need to be better organized and have some patience though cause change won't happen overnight. Accepting mediocrity is easy. Being another ignorant walking ghetto statistic is easy. Thats being a loser.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 06-28-2012 at 05:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 04:57 AM

Also I wanted to add that cracking fire hydrants open is GHETTO. To the max! Where I used to live in the bx before it would get so bad some of the streets would flood from the open hydrants. There would be old ladies stuck on islands unable to cross the street. I hate that sh**. The kids play in them and these kids become ghetto adults and the cycle continues. The hydrant is there for safety reasons. Also it waste a ton of water. Here in nyc we waste enough water as is.

I see now fdny has installed sprinkler caps on many of the hydrants and that is a concession I can live with though. But there are still knuckleheads who feel the need to crack it fully open.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 06-28-2012 at 05:06 AM..

Old 06-28-2012, 07:07 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,380,404 times
They used to open the fire hydrants alot when I was younger, now it is rare. And the ones that are open have a sprinkler type cover on it, so the kids can enjoy it while limited amounts of water actually come out of it on very hot days. I think that is a reasonabel compromise.

At the end of the day, the struggle that is occuring is ultimately a good thing and shows that new people are coming in, bringing in mainstream norms to the area. No doubt there will be SOME pushback, which is normal it is human nature, however I would be more concerned if we never hear this story b/c it means nobody is impacting change! You will likely see more of these stories as more working/middle class people stake their claims in these neighborhoods and work towards making them better for everyone, including the "locals."

Old 06-28-2012, 07:36 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,564,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I am really sorry to hear that. It sucks when moderate income people work hard to buy a home and have to coexist with vermin. It makes me think of all of the undeserving people that receive promotions; they get to live in neighborhoods where they do not have to deal with this. An education mean nothing unless you are connected to the right people.
This is going off course, but your last sentence is not true. An education is the most reliable means to life yourself up and out of a bad situation. Its not foolproof, but its got a much higher hit rate than any other scheme.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:45 PM

2,134 posts, read 3,044,036 times
The loitering is a nuisance because people don't ever want to get out of the way, they never wrap it up at a decent hour, and they are always loud. People will just block the street or building entrances and cop an attitude when you want to pass. As soon as its over 65 degrees people hang out late and in the summer they let their kids stay out screaming and playing till 10pm,11pm or later. I used to live in a building where I could hear the noise all the way on the 5th floor. That's not fair when you have to get up in the morning for work and people are having a party on the sidewalk on a weeknight. They don't work so the same people will be out night after night. I've seen people having a child's birthday party on the "stoop" and I even saw someone cutting hair one time...wtf? Lol I've thrown water on people for being obnoxious. I can't do that where I am now but I call security on people in a heartbeat if I feel the need to.

The people in the coop should continue to press the issue. The people who have all the time in the world to sit outside are not working. They shouldn't be allowed to harass the taxpayers who support them.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:57 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,893,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Nope. Couldn't disagree with you more. The sidewalk is for transportation and loittering creates a hindrance to said transportation. It is also a nuisance. You say that because you have been around it so long that you have built up a big tolerance. I grew up in washington heights. I know what your talking about,but I know that just "hanging out" can lead to an infinite amount of ghetto drama and nonsense. These people are lazy and disrespectful. Hang out in your house! Hang out if front of your building not in front of someone else's.

The people who live in the co-op and don't like it aren't losers. Quite the contrary they actually care about the neighborhood and want something better for the neighborhood. They need to be better organized and have some patience though cause change won't happen overnight. Accepting mediocrity is easy. Being another ignorant walking ghetto statistic is easy. Thats being a loser.
this. i agree with as well. NYC should outlaw and impose fines to people who hang out in front of any residential building, or post up at any grocery store. if the city did, there would be no budget deficit. if the bronx is so full of parkland, why can't people hang out there? take the kids with you as well.

Old 06-29-2012, 10:29 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,052,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
this. i agree with as well. NYC should outlaw and impose fines to people who hang out in front of any residential building, or post up at any grocery store. if the city did, there would be no budget deficit. if the bronx is so full of parkland, why can't people hang out there? take the kids with you as well.
Not everyone has access to green parks of the hoods in the south bronx. Many dont have the convenince to venture to franz segal park, st marys, crotona and claremont parks.

Old 06-30-2012, 12:16 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,089,626 times
"Oh honey, let's move to a SAVAGE neighborhood and work to make it BETTER!"

One year later:

"Christ Almighty...this is a SAVAGE NEIGHBORHOOD."

Old 06-30-2012, 12:50 PM

2,134 posts, read 3,044,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Not everyone has access to green parks of the hoods in the south bronx. Many dont have the convenince to venture to franz segal park, st marys, crotona and claremont parks.
That is true but they get to be outside all day long why do they have to be out half the night too? The same people holding up the corner on your way to work are out at night when you're trying to sleep. These folks are just plain old trifling and ghetto.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Oh please the bronx is a relatively small borough, no one is that far away from a park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City