Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 12:41 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,917,376 times

Advertisements

I ignore them and move slightly faster when they ask, mainly because you can get a fine for swiping them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 01:21 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,029,752 times
People do this, so they can have a few dollars in their pocket, because more than likely they're unemployed and not getting any money from the city to hold them over.

If you don't want them to do it, then don't. They're not forcing or harassing you to do it.

Old 09-07-2013, 04:12 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,890,990 times
I don't swipe em in or have any sympathy for em. If you can't afford to ride public transportation at a mere $2.50 then something is wrong. You got two options walk to your destination or stay home.

Old 09-07-2013, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
I don't swipe em in or have any sympathy for em. If you can't afford to ride public transportation at a mere $2.50 then something is wrong. You got two options walk to your destination or stay home.
I wouldn't swipe them in either.

I was referring to the people who have a problem with guys asking them for money in exchange for swiping them on their unlimited card. I find nothing wrong with this. It's not like they're harassing people. You either want to do it or you don't. It's no big deal.

Old 09-08-2013, 12:47 AM

154 posts, read 361,606 times
the teen kids that ask for swipes usually have $200 sneakers and designer clothes

Old 09-08-2013, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turner23x View Post
the teen kids that ask for swipes usually have $200 sneakers and designer clothes
Here we go with this bullcrap again.

Again, if you do NOT want to swipe them in, then DON'T.

What does their appearance have to do with anything?

You sound upset that they're wearing nice things. Why?

Old 09-08-2013, 08:27 AM

3,244 posts, read 5,242,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardkoek View Post
saw someone getting a ticket for giving away a swipe with his unlimited...$40.00 by some rookie a##hole nypd cop...
Perhaps you're the a-hole.
What do you know about the person who was getting the free ride?
People who get something for free, rarely appreciate it. There is a legitimate public interest in having paying customers on mass transit, not freeloaders.
Personally, I would like to see both swiper & swipe ticketed. The deterrent effect is not there for the recipient, if only the unfamiliar target of his begging takes the hit.

Old 09-08-2013, 08:31 AM

3,244 posts, read 5,242,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Here we go with this bullcrap again.
Again, if you do NOT want to swipe them in, then DON'T.
What does their appearance have to do with anything?
You sound upset that they're wearing nice things. Why?
It his opinion, not yours. He's entitled to it. You can whine, as well.
Why should seats & standing room on subways be given to those who do not pay for them? You buy an unlimited for yourself, not to give free access to anyone else. It's not your right or privilege to give free passage to anyone. If you want to be generous, purchase some single-fare cards & hand them out, as you see fit.

Old 09-08-2013, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
It his opinion, not yours. He's entitled to it. You can whine, as well.
Why should seats & standing room on subways be given to those who do not pay for them? You buy an unlimited for yourself, not to give free access to anyone else. It's not your right or privilege to give free passage to anyone.
If you want to be generous, purchase some single-fare cards & hand them out, as you see fit.

LOL! You sound CRAZY!

How are you gonna tell me what I can and cannot do with my unlimited card???

If I want to let someone go through on MY card, I will.

I, honestly can't see HOW this bothers YOU or anyone else.

There's something in this city we calling "Minding Your Business". It seems that many people on here have a hard time doing that.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:17 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
I almost got into a fight with one of them a few months ago. Chambers Street is near the courts, so all the people that get arrested and released from the Tombs come in the train station and beg for a swipe to get home. Well this dude asked me and I said "No, I don't have it." So when I swiped and went through, he yelled, "But you got 45 dollars on there!" I stopped for a second and was about to turn around to say "So what it's my f-ing 45 dollars not yours," but then I remembered I have a family at home, and went on my way. He's lucky I have a family to support.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City