Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 04:52 PM

7 posts, read 22,924 times

Advertisements

Hi i took this exam back in 2014, I have lost count on how many times i have received a canvass letter. Once i was contacted via email about interviewing for a position, However prior to the interview i was told someone had accepted the position. A few times i received letters stating that my rank was not reachable for appointment and sometimes i received nothing at all. Recently i was contacted for an interview for the SCOA. Since this will be my first interview i was wondering if anyone that have already had an interview would be willing to give a little in site on what i can expect. Also i read somewhere in a forum that just because you are called for a interview does not necessarily mean your rank was reachable...seems to contradict what is actually stated in the brochure just wondering would anyone have information on that as well...i scored in the high 80's
Id appreciate any input...Thank you in Advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2017, 05:26 PM

1 posts, read 3,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopeA View Post
Hi i took this exam back in 2014, I have lost count on how many times i have received a canvass letter. Once i was contacted via email about interviewing for a position, However prior to the interview i was told someone had accepted the position. A few times i received letters stating that my rank was not reachable for appointment and sometimes i received nothing at all. Recently i was contacted for an interview for the SCOA. Since this will be my first interview i was wondering if anyone that have already had an interview would be willing to give a little in site on what i can expect. Also i read somewhere in a forum that just because you are called for a interview does not necessarily mean your rank was reachable...seems to contradict what is actually stated in the brochure just wondering would anyone have information on that as well...i scored in the high 80's
Id appreciate any input...Thank you in Advance

Hello! I actually received an offer for the position of SCOA today, located in Albany and I accepted it. I have received about six canvass letters since last summer, had one telephone interview this past January and 2 in person interviews in Albany this summer. As far as what to expect, my telephone interview was about an hour long and they asked me about my experience, why did I want to commute to Albany from Queens, why did I want to work in the court system, how would I handle certain situations as a SCOA and also at my previous jobs, how would I describe myself, my strengths/weaknesses and why should they hire me. They asked me a lot more questions, but this is all I can remember and they also told me in detail about the job. For the in-person interviews, I was interviewed both times by 3 people, they lasted between 30-60 minutes and I was asked all of the above. The last one, they told me it would take a few weeks to make a decision, but not to panic if I didn't hear anything. I was nervous, but they quickly put me at ease. Just be yourself and definitely have questions ready that you would like to ask them about the job itself. It took me 3 years, I scored an 82 and had my doubts, so I know it will definitely happen for you....just be patient. Good luck to you!!

Old 11-18-2017, 10:55 AM

7 posts, read 22,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellecee View Post
Hello! I actually received an offer for the position of SCOA today, located in Albany and I accepted it. I have received about six canvass letters since last summer, had one telephone interview this past January and 2 in person interviews in Albany this summer. As far as what to expect, my telephone interview was about an hour long and they asked me about my experience, why did I want to commute to Albany from Queens, why did I want to work in the court system, how would I handle certain situations as a SCOA and also at my previous jobs, how would I describe myself, my strengths/weaknesses and why should they hire me. They asked me a lot more questions, but this is all I can remember and they also told me in detail about the job. For the in-person interviews, I was interviewed both times by 3 people, they lasted between 30-60 minutes and I was asked all of the above. The last one, they told me it would take a few weeks to make a decision, but not to panic if I didn't hear anything. I was nervous, but they quickly put me at ease. Just be yourself and definitely have questions ready that you would like to ask them about the job itself. It took me 3 years, I scored an 82 and had my doubts, so I know it will definitely happen for you....just be patient. Good luck to you!!
Hello thank you for responding and for the vote of confidence and kind words! Congrats on the position im a firm believer in good things come for good people so Kudos...I have been preparing myself to answer those same questions you listed...im scared of stumbling over my words.Im anticipating the interview but im a little nervous considering it is a panel and not just one individual. Hopefully everything goes smoothly, I was thinking maybe a 15-20 minute interview but if it goes longer i will have to adjust. I plan on asking a few questions i have if they do not provide the answers early on. Thanks again for the information and advice i really appreciate it...happy holidays!!

Old 12-22-2017, 08:30 AM

64 posts, read 115,809 times
I just took the CA exam this pass Oct 7, 2017
Do anyone know how they rank people?

Missroz55, how do you get such good ranks? Did you apply as soon as the announcement come out? Is that how they rank or by SS number?

Old 05-29-2018, 10:27 AM

2 posts, read 4,740 times
Has anyone received their scores from the October 2017 test yet?

Old 05-29-2018, 11:36 AM

5 posts, read 16,917 times
Default Has anyone received their scores from the October 2017 test yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymet85 View Post
Has anyone received their scores from the October 2017 test yet?
No word...as yet.... We might end up asking this question again in 2019!

Old 07-14-2018, 11:28 AM

69 posts, read 184,285 times
Default Just had an interview in May...

I took this exam years ago, before the one given in October 2017.

I scored 85.6 and my rank number is 1616. I was finally canvassed this past April and interviewed for a District 9 position. I figured they would never reach me with such a low rank.

My interview was held in White Plains and it was conducted by a panel of two.
Two other women interviewed before me. Both of their interviews were 15 min or under. They were both at least 10 years older than me. I am 44.

When they finally called me, I was very nervous. I had prepared practice questions and answers. This is pretty much unnecessary because most of the interview was them telling me about what its like working for the NYS Unified Courts and what the job actually entails.

The only real interview question I was asked was to describe a difficult situation at work and how I was able to resolve it. I thought I did well enough.

A few weeks later I received the dreaded thin envelope informing me that my list number had not been reached.

I just received another District 9 canvass letter.

Fingers crosssed.

Old 08-02-2018, 01:41 PM

I guess they are still using the old list.

Old 08-08-2018, 10:46 AM

8 posts, read 21,766 times
the 2017 CA exam results are in!

Old 08-08-2018, 02:03 PM

colorsofspring - Did you get the job?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City