Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 08:14 PM

23 posts, read 121,681 times

Advertisements

Does it make more sense to agree to accept a temp or contingent permanent position on the canvas sheet or should I hold out for the permanent placement? Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 08:25 PM

7 posts, read 26,978 times
Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nom de Plumb View Post
Does it make more sense to agree to accept a temp or contingent permanent position on the canvas sheet or should I hold out for the permanent placement? Any ideas?
Okay, well I asked this on the interviews I went on and this is what was told to me. I was advised to take the interviews and then if I do not want what is offered to me--decline. Their reasoning being: after they make the recommendation of candidates to the admin judge, they then find out what positions they truly have available. Because the canvass letter may say permanent, but they may only have temporary or contingent permanent. I don't know what this says about the organization of the state of NY's civil service sector, or if this is even true, BUT I figure I can pass on whatever I've found out. Hope this helps

Old 03-18-2015, 09:05 PM

Thanks, McBurke,

The only problem for me is that they are asking me to choose whether I'd be willing to accept the temp or contingency position on the canvas sheet. Do you have a suggestion of how to deal with that?

Old 03-18-2015, 09:22 PM

7 posts, read 26,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nom de Plumb View Post
Thanks, McBurke,

The only problem for me is that they are asking me to choose whether I'd be willing to accept the temp or contingency position on the canvas sheet. Do you have a suggestion of how to deal with that?
Well, I put yes on my canvass letters, that's what I failed to relay to you. A county clerk in Schenectady and a secretary in Albany advised me to fill in 'yes' on the papers, for that choice. You may not get an interview otherwise; again not my words but what was told to me. Idk if that helps, and you're welcome.

Old 03-18-2015, 09:46 PM

I do appreciate your patience with me. Thanks again.

Old 03-20-2015, 09:32 AM

2 posts, read 8,281 times
Update: Just got back from my first interview for White Plains. I was a bit nervous but hopefully did well. The interview was really short which surprised me (don't know if that is normal). At the end the interviewer let me know that a decision would be rendered early next week. Fingers crossed. I have two interviews in White Plains next week as well.

Old 03-24-2015, 03:44 PM

7 posts, read 28,244 times
Chasingmoons I think we have the same interviews. I saw a couple of people getting interviewed today at White Plains. Good luck to all. Atleast the process is moving and some people are getting hired

Old 03-25-2015, 07:11 PM

To: My competition.

I think we all finished the round of 3 interviews. My take on it is that I was told that if I said YES to more than one and they wanted me, the central system would pool the names and decide which person would go where. Did anyone else get other info?

Old 04-04-2015, 05:18 AM

7 posts, read 28,244 times
Update: Nassau county has started canvassing. White Plains and Rockland did hire some people. When you accept a position is just a small packet of paperwork and you have to get your fingerprints taken. The fingerprints are an $85 non refundable fee. Well good luck to the rest of you, hope people can keep updating this blog so others can stay up to date on things.

Old 04-05-2015, 08:34 PM

I take it you were one of those hired C.C. Congrats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City