Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 11:03 AM

2 posts, read 10,603 times

Advertisements

So I just came across this thread and thought I'd help clarify a few things. First, the test that was recently given (last year?) was for Court Office Assistant and Senior Court Office Assistant. That is a different title than Court Assistant, the last test for which was held at least 3 years ago. The new test for Court Assistant will be in 2017. Difference between the titles? CA is a Peace Officer title and the other two are not. Also CA is a line 16 (pay grade) and I believe the other two are 12 and 14, respectively. To my knowledge there aren't many COA in NYC courts at least in Family Court which is where I work as a CA. In fact in my building we only have one SCOA. So my advice to anyone on the fence about permanent or contingent perm is to just take whichever comes up first as long as it works for you location-wise. If you take cont perm you will still get canvass letters from other courts with other vacancies. If you take perm then you are off the canvass list. Either way you can still request a transfer to a different county once you're hired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2015, 11:16 AM

2 posts, read 10,603 times
Correction: COA is line 8 and SCOA is line 12.

Old 10-06-2015, 10:33 AM

2 posts, read 10,438 times
Searching for similar answers online I found this thread and thought I'd share my experience. I scored 85% in the Senior SCOA test, rank is 1142. I selected the 3rd, 6th, 9th and NYC districts.
I received two canvassing letters in the past 4 weeks, one from the 3rd district and another one from the 6th. Within a week of responding to the 6th district canvassing letter, they invited me to come up for an interview.
I live in NYC and drove up to Binghamton for the interview. The interview, although short was nerve-wrecking, I was not expecting to be interviewed by a panel of 5! At the end they told me that if selected I would receive an informal offer from them... I don't know if I'll be contacted or not if not selected. I has been less than a week since I interviewed. I will post back next time I hear something from them.. hoping it's not too long as I'm anxious to start a quieter life upstate and the canvassing letter stated starting time of late October.
I have not heard anything back from the 6th district yet.

Old 10-07-2015, 07:20 PM

2 posts, read 10,438 times
Quote:
I have not heard anything back from the 6th district yet.
I meant I have not heard anything from the 3rd district yet.

Old 10-31-2015, 12:13 AM

11 posts, read 69,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyalltheway View Post
Hey Missroz55,

Did you take any of the positions?
Due to unforseen circumstances,I have finally accepted a position in the County Clerks office. Does anyone know which scores are being canvassed at this point?

Old 10-31-2015, 12:22 AM

Thanks for that information. Since my private sector position didn't pan out, I have just accepted a CA position in the County Clerks office. I will be taking that CC exam coming up in May to as you said max out my salary nicely.

Old 10-31-2015, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by True NY'er View Post
So I just came across this thread and thought I'd help clarify a few things. First, the test that was recently given (last year?) was for Court Office Assistant and Senior Court Office Assistant. That is a different title than Court Assistant, the last test for which was held at least 3 years ago. The new test for Court Assistant will be in 2017. Difference between the titles? CA is a Peace Officer title and the other two are not. Also CA is a line 16 (pay grade) and I believe the other two are 12 and 14, respectively. To my knowledge there aren't many COA in NYC courts at least in Family Court which is where I work as a CA. In fact in my building we only have one SCOA. So my advice to anyone on the fence about permanent or contingent perm is to just take whichever comes up first as long as it works for you location-wise. If you take cont perm you will still get canvass letters from other courts with other vacancies. If you take perm then you are off the canvass list. Either way you can still request a transfer to a different county once you're hired.
I interviewed for family court as well. In your opinion which court is better Family, Criminal etc?

Old 11-03-2015, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nom de Plumb View Post
I also keep being called for interviews...more than you, but not getting the job. Someone suggested to me that I should not plan to ever be hired because when they look at me they see an old person. It was suggested to me that I should dye my hair.

Hopefully I will be called by someone who also has grey hair and appreciates the knowledge that we older people have. I don't go for fake.
I just turned 60 in September and have been appointed to the Kings County clerk office effective 11/19. Continue interviewing, it will happen for you.

Old 11-03-2015, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
With any state civil service position there is a beginning pay, and then several step increases until you reach the max salary for that particular position. I don't know what it is for that grade/title. But you could probably look it up here...

CSEA Judiciary

In any case what you want to see is if the max salary is better than what your realistic max is in your current private sector position. But be mindful that career mobility is usually a little better in the court system vs the situation in most state agencies. You may be able to move up grades fairly easily and really max out your salary nicely.
Thanks for that information. Since my private sector position didn't pan out, I have just accepted a CA position in the County Clerks office. I will be taking that CC exam coming up in May to as you said max out my salary nicely.

Old 11-23-2015, 11:01 AM

1 posts, read 4,987 times
I got my score last Nov, and I was wondering if it is to late to modify my location since my location is mainly for nyc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City