Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 12:10 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Reread the article.

The streets within their boundaries are indeed like their own private backyard. And they agreed to pay for the upkeep of such for this privilege. Now Sea Gate and Breezy Point are seeking to renege on their agreement, but still keep their areas private and restricted to everyone else.

If they want money from the rest of the taxpayers to fix their own private property, then their property need not be private anymore when it comes to what the taxpayers pay to fix, such as the streets, beaches and seawall.

Why should they have it both ways?
ok, yes, this does make sense. I agree.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:09 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,168,752 times
If they are allocated funding they should be forced to adhere to upgraded zoning codes.

Personally, would prefer to see the areas razed and replaced with parkland and modern apartment buildings Designed with rising sea levels and storms in mind.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:42 PM

2,479 posts, read 2,213,645 times
Default New money after bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
If they are allocated funding they should be forced to adhere to upgraded zoning codes.

Personally, would prefer to see the areas razed and replaced with parkland and modern apartment buildings Designed with rising sea levels and storms in mind.

Reposted here

New Orleans suffered flooding and storm damage as did NY/NJ. So what happened there years after the event? Not much. According the articles I surveyed, federal and state aid is blocked by conflicting jurisdictions, rules, and regulations.

My own opinion is the same as the above poster, government will avoid sinking money into improvements it knows will with certainty be destroyed by nature.

Before rebuilding can begin, an urban plan must be agreed upon, budgets proposed, approved, etc. Then the devastated infrastructure must be repaired or replaced. Every pipe, drain, utility service in the ground and on and on. What actually constitutes a flood plain will have to be determined. Some sea side home owners have lots that are now in the ocean. The cost benefit just isn't there.

What I am saying, governments will pledge billions but spend nothing just like in New Orleans because that's what happen there. That's a photo of Six Flags in New Orleans, 2012. Attached Thumbnails

Old 11-27-2012, 07:52 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post

Actually this summer we rode our bikes along the boardwalk up to Sea gate, i would have liked to ride all the way thru, just to see it, nothing more nothing less, but we werent allowed because of it being private.
Next summer when you have a chance go in the opposite direction to bay 1 when the tide is out. Lock up your bicycles and walk up to the beach and walk east towards the rocks and follow them a little. Look closely at them and you'll the concrete boardwalk that used to be there many years ago. That boardwalk used to go to the beach near Kingsboro. Manhattan Beach is a near gated community with city signage to keep outsiders out and got rid of their boardwalk to keep people out.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:15 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I would like to know exactly HOW MUCH they pay in city and property taxes, and what proportion of these actually go towards City and State expenses and how much go to their own expenses. (Like private security, fire protection, lifeguards, sanitation, water, schools.)
Here's some links for you.

New York City Property Search | PropertyShark.com

Seagate Community Documents and Downloads

If You're Thinking of Living In/Sea Gate; 'Hamptons West' in Brooklyn - New York Times

Sea Gate: The Case of the Dwindling Dunes « Going Coastal Magazine

NEIGHBORHOOD REPORT - SEA GATE - Dues Dispute Roils the Life Of an Enclave - NYTimes.com

Old 11-29-2012, 09:33 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,760,956 times
That article could have been much better if it tried to nail down exactly what services communities like Breezy and Sea Gate are seeking help for. IMO, these communities should be on the hook for damage to their private roads/parking lots and facilities but just about everything else should be the responsiblity of the respective city agency or utility.

From the article:

Quote:
The city’s Department of Environmental Protection has supplied drinking water to Breezy Point residents

Um, why shouldn't they? The residents of Breezy pay for water and other services just like anyone else. Additionally, Breezy doesn't have sewers so the city is off the hook for that. As for other infrastruture, LIPA and National Grid have been there making the repairs to their equipment, lines, etc. (as they should).

Old 11-29-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Reread the article.

The streets within their boundaries are indeed like their own private backyard. And they agreed to pay for the upkeep of such for this privilege. Now Sea Gate and Breezy Point are seeking to renege on their agreement, but still keep their areas private and restricted to everyone else.

If they want money from the rest of the taxpayers to fix their own private property, then their property need not be private anymore when it comes to what the taxpayers pay to fix, such as the streets, beaches and seawall.

can you show me something that says residents are asking the city to pay for their private property (a steet, parking lot, house) to be repaired? The city is offering no such service and the residents likely aren't expecting it. People are going to their insuranace and FEMA just like the rest of the people in non-private communities.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I would like to know exactly HOW MUCH they pay in city and property taxes, and what proportion of these actually go towards City and State expenses and how much go to their own expenses. (Like private security, fire protection, lifeguards, sanitation, water, schools.)
do you really think the city is cutting them some sort of deal? come on.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:44 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,236,113 times
Quote:
Reread the article.

regarding the bolded-that is why it completely surprised me that they would want outside funding. I know people who live there. I have been there and believe me, it's "private" for a reason. No way would they want their gated community open to EVERYONE. I believe they just didn't think that devistation of this magnitude would ever happen, which is why they agreed to pay for their own upkeep.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:58 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
can you show me something that says residents are asking the city to pay for their private property (a steet, parking lot, house) to be repaired? The city is offering no such service and the residents likely aren't expecting it. People are going to their insuranace and FEMA just like the rest of the people in non-private communities.
If they aren't asking for that, then why was this article even written? Why does it say:

Quote:
Sea Gate, like other gated communities in New York, preserved its exclusivity with the promise that the residents would assume the costs of community upkeep, maintaining their own streets, parks and sewer systems and even fielding the distinct Sea Gate Police Department.

So neighborhoods that have long held the rest of the city at arm’s length now seek the financial embrace of the city, state and federal governments.
FEMA assistance is for everyone and their private property, but them reneging on their "deal" to be private and expecting city and state assistance can be looked at as "too much."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City