Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 12:21 PM

4,697 posts, read 8,755,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I am going to know this article by heart by the time you are done. LOL. And, no, I do not have a contract with the rest of my neighborhood keeping everyone out because I do not live in Sea Gate, Breezy Point, etc.

Here are your quotes about agreements and promises made in exchange for keeping their communities off limits to the rest of NYC, help they have received so far and asking for further help:
See below. People read what they want I guess, even when it's not there.

Quote:
promise that the residents would assume the costs of community upkeep, maintaining their own streets, parks and sewer systems
I referred to the mention of a "promise" several times already in this thread and how this doesn't really tell us anything. Pay attention.

Quote:
The special status endured, through occasional controversy and political efforts to open the streets to the public, because of the community’s self-sufficiency.
um, the private status endures because THEY OWN THE LAND.

Quote:
We’d be foolish not to ask for help,” said Steve Greenberg, former chairman of the Breezy Point cooperative’s board and a financial adviser at Morgan Stanley. “We would hope that we see something, but if we don’t see something we’re prepared to go forward to keep the community.”
Again, for those not paying attention....what have they asked for? How much will it cost? Have they even asked for anything yet? Greenberg isn't even an active officer in the cooperative and does it really matter where he works?

Quote:
But the city does not appear to have a formal obligation to provide services, like road and sewer maintenance, for the infrastructure that gated communities agreed to maintain.
Does not appear? Wow, that's some real ace reporting there. First of all, Breezy doesn't have sewers (Sea Gate does) and we don't even know if the communities have even asked for help with the roads. And in the case of Sea Gate, if I were a resident there and part of my taxes were going to DEP, I'd expect the city to help repair their own sewer infrastructure.

Quote:
Even before the storm, the communities were increasingly turning to the city for assistance. Domenic M. Recchia Jr., chairman of the City Council’s Finance Committee, whose district includes Sea Gate, had been working to get the city to upgrade the enclave’s sewers because they cannot handle the runoff from large storms.
More ace reporting! Supporting the bolded he gives an example of ONE community asking for help. But wait a sec...it's not even the comnunity asking for help. It's someone EMPLOYED BY THE CITY. Who edited this crap?

Quote:
Even as the communities put together formal requests for assistance, residents like Yidel Lax, 62, an artist whose house was flooded, are unwilling to part with the community’s most prized feature. “The only reason that Sea Gate is what it is is because it’s private,” he said. “Otherwise, it wouldn’t be Sea Gate.”
If the reporter knows any details regarding these requests, he sure didn't put them in the article.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
checkmate
Actually, it's more of a huge reach (just like the article).

Old 12-05-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Does "little help for some infrastructure" that they are demanding from the public
no they haven't.
Quote:
include the boardwalks and sidewalks that the PUBLIC IS FORBIDDEN to walk on.
Breezy doesnt' have a boardwalk. Not sure about Sea Gate. And how many sidewalks were damaged in Breezy/Sea Gate? Has this even been reported?
Quote:
Do they want beach restoration for a grand amenity that the public cannot use?
both communities only own the land to the high tide line. You're free to enjoy the ocean up until that point!
Quote:
Do they want new water and sewer lines that feed fountains, sinks, and toilets that only THEY can use (Reminiscent of 1940's Alabama.)
do they not pay taxes for water?
[/quote]A private exclusionary community should provide its OWN infrastructure...or DO WITHOUT[/quote]
no problem! Just get the city and utilities to stop charging them!

Old 12-05-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Well, in the unlikely event that they rescue a relative of mine or take a bullet for me, then we'll talk about infrastructure. But until then, they can go to Hell and put in their OWN infrastructure.

Pssst, it seems they are not very good even at rescuing THEMSELVES from fires, let alone my imaginary daughter.
um, not one person died in the fires. So not only was your remark insensitive and cruel, it was just plain dumb.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:39 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
See below. People read what they want I guess, even when it's not there.

I referred to the mention of a "promise" several times already in this thread and how this doesn't really tell us anything. Pay attention.

um, the private status endures because THEY OWN THE LAND.

Again, for those not paying attention....what have they asked for? How much will it cost? Have they even asked for anything yet? Greenberg isn't even an active officer in the cooperative and does it really matter where he works?

Does not appear? Wow, that's some real ace reporting there. First of all, Breezy doesn't have sewers (Sea Gate does) and we don't even know if the communities have even asked for help with the roads. And in the case of Sea Gate, if I were a resident there and part of my taxes were going to DEP, I'd expect the city to help repair their own sewer infrastructure.

More ace reporting! Supporting the bolded he gives an example of ONE community asking for help. But wait a sec...it's not even the comnunity asking for help. It's someone EMPLOYED BY THE CITY. Who edited this crap?

If the reporter knows any details regarding these requests, he sure didn't put them in the article.
You seem obsessed with the quality (or lack thereof) of this article.

However, telling "me" about it isn't going to do anything.

I suggest you contact the reporter and the NY Times in general with your challenges to the veracity and competency of his reporting. If you are so right as you assume, perhaps we will see a retraction or new article concerning the matter. Best of luck to you.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
You seem obsessed with the quality (or lack thereof) of this article.

However, telling "me" about it isn't going to do anything.

I suggest you contact the reporter and the NY Times in general with your challenges to the veracity and competency of his reporting. If you are so right as you assume, perhaps we will see a retraction or new article concerning the matter. Best of luck to you.
I'll get right on that! In the meantime, you (and others in this thread) may want to be careful of confirmation bias.

Old 12-05-2012, 02:05 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
I'll get right on that! In the meantime, you (and others in this thread) may want to be careful of confirmation bias.
FAIL on use of a "fifty dollar phrase" you learned on Wikipedia.

In previous posts, you kept insisting that "the article missed this" and "the article missed that" and kept insisting I show you where the article mentioned your points of contention. I was quoting the NY Times article to you because I was doing exactly what you asked me to. (In which case, your replies were that what they wrote wasn't enough, etc., etc., so I cannot win, eh?)

For me to have "confirmation bias" regarding this article, it would be necessary for me to have pre-existing and deeply held beliefs about its subject matter. I had very little knowledge on Sea Gate's and Breezy Point's history regarding their self-separation from NYC before reading this article. (And I predict you will argue that I still have very little knowledge after reading this article!)

Old 12-05-2012, 02:20 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,212,921 times
My god the rabid, borderline sociopaths on this thread. Even if everything you are screaming about is true (it's not necessarily at all), god forbid our taxes go once during a natural disaster to people who actually all work for a living allocated to some infrastructure. Seeing as how the majority here are getting all emotional and purple in the face from a poorly written and vague article, I'll just go along with that and leave these here:

Last edited by availableusername; 12-05-2012 at 02:30 PM..

Old 12-05-2012, 02:29 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I have mixed emotions about Sea Gate and Breezy Point as gated communities. I read the article and I am not sure how I feel. If they are paying taxes to the city, then of course the City should fix things.

But lets also think, these islands are barrier islands, who is to say another hurricane like this can hit, say next month. It can, no one can predict Mother Nature.....homes really should not be built on barrier islands...then to rebuild.???
in the same place that was just washed away by a flood. ????
I had read immediately following the hurricane that the standard is for the Gov't NOT to allow folks to rebuild on the barrier islands. I read the land is owned by the Gov't....
But, I've found a website that might be helpful to those in that unique situation. Plus my yahoo search yielded several related to past disasters in various states. Hope this helps someone.
Our Misson | Rebuild Barrier Islands

Old 12-05-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
FAIL on use of a "fifty dollar phrase" you learned on Wikipedia.
If you think THAT's a "fifty dollar phrase", well.....

Quote:
In previous posts, you kept insisting that "the article missed this" and "the article missed that" and kept insisting I show you where the article mentioned your points of contention. I was quoting the NY Times article to you because I was doing exactly what you asked me to. (In which case, your replies were that what they wrote wasn't enough, etc., etc., so I cannot win, eh?)
You finally get it! It was you choice to quote the poorly sourced article. I had already poked plenty of holes in it. It's not my fault you bought his half-baked arguments.

Quote:
For me to have "confirmation bias" regarding this article, it would be necessary for me to have pre-existing and deeply held beliefs about its subject matter. I had very little knowledge on Sea Gate's and Breezy Point's history regarding their self-separation from NYC before reading this article. (And I predict you will argue that I still have very little knowledge after reading this article!)
so you really had no preconceived notions about the area?

did someone log on as you or what? lol...

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...l#post12810827
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City