Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 07:18 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,755,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
what the hell kind of "infrastructure" does Breezy have anyway? They have no sewers and their roads are de-mapped off the city. So for all you guys saying they should receive help with their infrastructure, Verizon got their phone lines and LIPA got their power. they have nothing else anyway.
give the man a cigar. It only took until page 11 of the thread for someone to finally get it.

And of course the article in question that has everyone in this thread flipping out contains zero evidence of rich/racist whitey clammoring for help for said "infrastructure".

Old 12-06-2012, 09:12 AM

34,011 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
give the man a cigar. It only took until page 11 of the thread for someone to finally get it.

And of course the article in question that has everyone in this thread flipping out contains zero evidence of rich/racist whitey clammoring for help for said "infrastructure".
It wasn't the article per se that had everyone flipping out. What riled everyone up is when Sobro said they should just be washed away, then availableusername said that they should receive some kind of help from outside. then some people (myself included) said that since their private, they shouldn't receive any kind of help. If they get help from FEMA then cool. But other than that I feel they shouldn't get anything else.

And to set the record straight the median income of breezy point (zip code 11697) is around $80,000 - $90,000, according to City-Data. So whether you want to classify that as upper or middle income, you can argue about that. But they're definitely not scrounging for scraps in a dumpster.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-06-2012, 09:29 AM

Quote:
It wasn't the article per se that had everyone flipping out. What riled everyone up is when Sobro said they should just be washed away, then availableusername said that they should receive some kind of help from outside. then some people (myself included) said that since their private, they shouldn't receive any kind of help. If they get help from FEMA then cool. But other than that I feel they shouldn't get anything else.
what other kind of help are you referring to?

Quote:
And to set the record straight the median income of breezy point (zip code 11697) is around $80,000 - $90,000, according to City-Data. So whether you want to classify that as upper or middle income, you can argue about that. But they're definitely not scrounging for scraps in a dumpster
Set the record straight on what? Was anyone even debating the relative wealth of the community?

Old 12-06-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
what other kind of help are you referring to?

Ask him:

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
These folks pay taxes. City taxes, on top of their private fees. They're not asking us to literally rebuild each of their homes (to be honest, the article is pretty vague). Just a little help for some infrastructure in this natural disaster. That does not bother me one iota. As this one councilman says:

Old 12-06-2012, 09:37 AM

To sum it all up, most of the people in this thread don't even know what they're protesting against. Mix in a little race baiting and voila - City Data at it's finest!

Old 12-06-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Set the record straight on what? Was anyone even debating the relative wealth of the community?
The working demographic of Breezy is always portrayed as middle class. So I wanted to throw exact numbers in there for anybody that was wondering.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:38 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,904,476 times
Quote:

And to set the record straight the median income of breezy point (zip code 11697) is around $80,000 - $90,000, according to City-Data. So whether you want to classify that as upper or middle income, you can argue about that. But they're definitely not scrounging for scraps in a dumpster.
Pwned!

Owned!

Checkmate!

Close thread, nuff said!!

Old 12-06-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:
To sum it all up, most of the people in this thread don't even know what they're protesting against. Mix in a little race baiting and voila - City Data at it's finest!
I know my points that I made in this thread - I feel that it's a racist community and aside from FEMA they shouldn't receive anymore outside help. If you can show me somehow that overall it isn't a racist community, I am more than welcome to hear. Otherwise call it what you want.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
I know my points that I made in this thread - I feel that it's a racist community
Please describe the interactions with members of this community that made you feel this way.

Quote:
and aside from FEMA they shouldn't receive anymore outside help. If you can show me somehow that overall it isn't a racist community, I am more than welcome to hear. Otherwise call it what you want.
So you're saying that if YOU can be convinced the community isn't racist, then you might consider them deserving of more help (help which nobody can be bothered to define, but I'm getting tired of beating that horse)? Bahahahaha....

Unfortunately, we live in a country where racists deserve just as much help after a disaster such as this as anyone else. And I'm sure you're not suggesting the WHOLE community is racist (or are you?) But what about the people who live there who love all mankind? What about those who were born into the community and didn't have a choice where they live?

Old 12-06-2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
Pwned!

Owned!

Checkmate!

Close thread, nuff said!!
so what part of the bolded text really impressed you? The vagueness or the misinformed opinion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City