Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 06:01 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,908,267 times

Advertisements

^ I've seen your interaction with SoBro and I hope you won't take what I say personal. So let's keep it cool.

I actually dont have a problem with the federal government helping people, as long as their assistance is fair to everybody.
If FEMA is helping people with their private property, I hope they do it in a fair and equal manner.
Eventually I would like that FEMA and tax payer funded programs really consider their assistance to disaster-prone areas. In the long run is like a building a sand castle on the beach.
Private property owners willing and able to build in these areas should be required to take disaster insurance and spare us, tax-payers of their re-building costs.

Now if city funds are requested then this is a different story and my intial point stands.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:15 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,218,462 times
Well I don't like a lot of where my tax money goes. To be honest, I wish the gov't would give us a receipt each month breaking down exactly where it's going (lol dream on). But in cases of a natural disaster like this, particularly what is only the beginning of what is possibly to come, I am fine helping these middle class (these are not UES caliber folk.....another essentially gated community that nobody ever whines about being excluded from) folk with their home area.

We'll just have to agree to disagree. And as long as you don't get all mouth-breathy like SoBro and "prey the place to be washed away forever", then I am cool with keeping it cool.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:42 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,764,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
Its pretty obvious the place doesn;t want to mingle with ppl of color. Im with Sobro on this one.
based on what? rumor and unsupported statements here? Give me a break. Neponsit and Belle Harbor are also nearly all white and there's no cooperative board or gates there. What's their excuse? lol...

Old 12-03-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
This isn;t a Co-op buddy
I see you've already been corrected on this. Did you really think the residents kept the place private without any type of formal organization? Maybe armed guards with white hoods on horeseback patrolling the beach?

Old 12-03-2012, 07:24 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,547,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
based on what? rumor and unsupported statements here? Give me a break. Neponsit and Belle Harbor are also nearly all white and there's no cooperative board or gates there. What's their excuse? lol...

You don't need gates and boards to play that game. Real Estate has historically shown a lot of racism even to this day. I recently purchased a house myself in NY and I can tell you off the many examples I experienced. I'm not accusing them but they sure have a lot of "criteria" that works in their favor to keep minorities out.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:29 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,547,956 times
Quote:
I see you've already been corrected on this. Did you really think the residents kept the place private without any type of formal organization? Maybe armed guards with white hoods on horeseback patrolling the beach?

So let them use their reserve funds and let them enjoy their privacy. They should have insurance to cover their houses at least but from what I hear many ppl in these places did not have insurance. So, because the premium is unaffordable and they went ahead living in such areas without any security, we should bend over backwards? Get real. Its real estate buddy ......know the rules and regulations before you buy into such areas. When it was good, nobody complained and they made great profits.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:31 AM

Quote:
So let them use their reserve funds and let them enjoy their privacy. They should have insurance to cover their houses at least but from what I hear many ppl in these places did not have insurance. So, because the premium is unaffordable and they went ahead living in such areas without any security, we should bend over backwards? Get real. Its real estate buddy ......know the rules and regulations before you buy into such areas. When it was good, nobody complained and they made great profits.
has anyone asked you to help in any tangible way? What help could you possibely provide anyway?

Those that didn't have insurance will get help from FEMA for their homes. If for some reason some people cannot afford to rebuild, they will have to sell their property and leave.

I don't even know what your point is.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:33 AM

Quote:
You don't need gates and boards to play that game. Real Estate has historically shown a lot of racism even to this day. I recently purchased a house myself in NY and I can tell you off the many examples I experienced.
Unless those experiences took place in Breezy or Sea Gate they're irrelevent to this discussion.

Quote:
I'm not accusing them but they sure have a lot of "criteria" that works in their favor to keep minorities out.
can you be specific? We both know you can't, but I'd love to see you give it a shot.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:55 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,314,963 times
Quote:
has anyone asked you to help in any tangible way? What help could you possibely provide anyway?

Those that didn't have insurance will get help from FEMA for their homes. If for some reason some people cannot afford to rebuild, they will have to sell their property and leave.

I don't even know what your point is.
Are you pretending you don't know what's going on this late in the thread? Unbelievable!

Nobody is averse to them receiving aid from FEMA to help restore their private property. That is what FEMA is for.

People ARE concerned that they will be asking for money from NYS and NYC for things they had SIGNED A CONTRACT TO BE PERSONALLY RESPONSIBLE FOR IN ORDER TO RECEIVE THEIR PRIVATE COMMUNITY STATUS.

People think if they renege on their agreements, their communities should no longer be private.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Are you pretending you don't know what's going on this late in the thread? Unbelievable!

Nobody is averse to them receiving aid from FEMA to help restore their private property. That is what FEMA is for.

People ARE concerned that they will be asking for money from NYS and NYC for things they had SIGNED A CONTRACT TO BE PERSONALLY RESPONSIBLE FOR IN ORDER TO RECEIVE THEIR PRIVATE COMMUNITY STATUS.

People think if they renege on their agreements, their communities should no longer be private.
what contract? what have they asked for? And is it more than what they're reasonably entitled to?

This thread is long on generalizations and rumors but extremely short on facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City