Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 11:28 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,314,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
what contract? what have they asked for? And is it more than what they're reasonably entitled to?

This thread is long on generalizations and rumors but extremely short on facts.
Oh puleez! Go reread the article. It has been printed in the NY Times and EXPLAINED several times on here and you keep pretending you don't know what is going on because your side is LOSING the argument.

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 12-04-2012 at 11:48 AM..

Old 12-04-2012, 12:55 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,764,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Oh puleez! Go reread the article. It has been printed in the NY Times and EXPLAINED several times on here and you keep pretending you don't know what is going on because your side is LOSING the argument.
you mean the article that doesn't define what these communities have requested? Nor what they pay in taxes and to what entities? Lol...

And, again, what "contract" are you referring to? The article makes a vague reference to a "promise" with regard to Sea Gate, but offers no clarification on what that promise entails...and doesn't even mention an equivalent arrangement with Breezy and the city.

Like I said earlier in the thread, I feel these communities should be responsible for their private streets, facilities, and equipment. Beyond that, the city (via DEP) and utilities are responsible for their infrastructure that crosses onto the property.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:08 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,218,462 times
Quote:
you mean the article that doesn't define what these communities have requested? Nor what they pay in taxes and to what entities? Lol...

And, again, what "contract" are you referring to? The article makes a vague reference to a "promise" with regard to Sea Gate, but offers no clarification on what that promise entails...and doesn't even mention an equivalent arrangement with Breezy and the city.

Like I said earlier in the thread, I feel these communities should be responsible for their private streets, facilities, and equipment. Beyond that, the city (via DEP) and utilities are responsible for their infrastructure that crosses onto the property.
Please stop being rational! This forum is supposed to revolve around emotions and race-baiting!

Old 12-04-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:

The article could not "define what these communities have requested" because the communities are still in the process of filling out their paperwork. Since the NYT saw fit to print this preliminary article, I am sure once that is done there will be an update.

Perhaps you should ask the NYT reporter who wrote this story why he did not include the actual contracts the members of these communities agreed to abide to in order to lock the rest of the City out. I am sure it would have made the article way too long.

As for the bolded, that is how I feel too. They should pay for what is private. The article was stating that they do not want to and are in the process of asking for help for things they already agreed to take care of on their own in return for having private communities.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:26 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,764,254 times
Quote:
The article could not "define what these communities have requested" because the communities are still in the process of filling out their paperwork.
where did you get that?
Quote:
Since the NYT saw fit to print this preliminary article, I am sure once that is done there will be an update.
don't hold your breath.
Quote:
Perhaps you should ask the NYT reporter who wrote this story why he did not include the actual contracts the members of these communities agreed to abide to in order to lock the rest of the City out. I am sure it would have made the article way too long.
I'll clue you in, there is no "contract". Do you have a "contract" with the rest of your neighborhood keeping everyone out?
Quote:
As for the bolded, that is how I feel too. They should pay for what is private. The article was stating that they do not want to and are in the process of asking for help for things they already agreed to take care of on their own in return for having private communities.
where did you see that? What are they asking for? How much will it cost?

It's a garbage article.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
where did you get that?

don't hold your breath.

I'll clue you in, there is no "contract". Do you have a "contract" with the rest of your neighborhood keeping everyone out?

where did you see that? What are they asking for? How much will it cost?

It's a garbage article.
I am going to know this article by heart by the time you are done. LOL. And, no, I do not have a contract with the rest of my neighborhood keeping everyone out because I do not live in Sea Gate, Breezy Point, etc.

Here are your quotes about agreements and promises made in exchange for keeping their communities off limits to the rest of NYC, help they have received so far and asking for further help:

Quote:
Sea Gate, like other gated communities in New York, preserved its exclusivity with the promise that the residents would assume the costs of community upkeep, maintaining their own streets, parks and sewer systems and even fielding the distinct Sea Gate Police Department.

The special status endured, through occasional controversy and political efforts to open the streets to the public, because of the community’s self-sufficiency.

But the damage inflicted by Hurricane Sandy to Sea Gate, in Brooklyn, and another gated community, Breezy Point, in Queens, was so monumental that residents who are already struggling to figure out how they will pay to rebuild their homes say they cannot afford to pay the additional cost of repairing communal infrastructure. So neighborhoods that have long held the rest of the city at arm’s length now seek the financial embrace of the city, state and federal governments.

We’d be foolish not to ask for help,” said Steve Greenberg, former chairman of the Breezy Point cooperative’s board and a financial adviser at Morgan Stanley. “We would hope that we see something, but if we don’t see something we’re prepared to go forward to keep the community.”

Community officials have long maintained that their enclaves are no different than a Park Avenue apartment house with its own doorman, a horizontal rather than a vertical development. But, to continue the analogy, apartment buildings do not ask the city to retile their hallways or fix their plumbing. The residents of gated communities pay all the same taxes — sewer, water and property — that any city property owner does, in addition to their private association charges.

But the city does not appear to have a formal obligation to provide services, like road and sewer maintenance, for the infrastructure that gated communities agreed to maintain.

Already city officials have dispatched private contractors with bulldozers to cart away the sand and concrete slabs from Sea Gate’s streets and trucks to vacuum the sand out of its sewers. The city’s Department of Environmental Protection has supplied drinking water to Breezy Point residents. Yet it is apparent that government officials are improvising for now, not sure what the fine legal boundaries are and whether their efforts will extend to rebuilding the infrastructure.

Even before the storm, the communities were increasingly turning to the city for assistance. Domenic M. Recchia Jr., chairman of the City Council’s Finance Committee, whose district includes Sea Gate, had been working to get the city to upgrade the enclave’s sewers because they cannot handle the runoff from large storms.

Even as the communities put together formal requests for assistance, residents like Yidel Lax, 62, an artist whose house was flooded, are unwilling to part with the community’s most prized feature. “The only reason that Sea Gate is what it is is because it’s private,” he said. “Otherwise, it wouldn’t be Sea Gate.”

Old 12-04-2012, 07:41 PM

34,098 posts, read 47,316,181 times
Quote:
I am going to know this article by heart by the time you are done. LOL. And, no, I do not have a contract with the rest of my neighborhood keeping everyone out because I do not live in Sea Gate, Breezy Point, etc.

Here are your quotes about agreements and promises made in exchange for keeping their communities off limits to the rest of NYC, help they have received so far and asking for further help:
checkmate

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-05-2012, 07:45 AM

25,373 posts, read 37,093,283 times
Quote:
Just a little help for some infrastructure in this natural disaster.
Does "little help for some infrastructure" that they are demanding from the public include the boardwalks and sidewalks that the PUBLIC IS FORBIDDEN to walk on.
Do they want beach restoration for a grand amenity that the public cannot use?
Do they want new water and sewer lines that feed fountains, sinks, and toilets that only THEY can use (Reminiscent of 1940's Alabama.)

A private exclusionary community should provide its OWN infrastructure...or DO WITHOUT.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:45 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,908,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Does "little help for some infrastructure" that they are demanding from the public include the boardwalks and sidewalks that the PUBLIC IS FORBIDDEN to walk on.
Do they want beach restoration for a grand amenity that the public cannot use?
Do they want new water and sewer lines that feed fountains, sinks, and toilets that only THEY can use (Reminiscent of 1940's Alabama.)

A private exclusionary community should provide its OWN infrastructure...or DO WITHOUT.
But they're middle class. And would rescue your daughter in a fire or catch a bullet for you!!

Nevermind they wouldn't let you set foot in their neighborhood... ...

Old 12-05-2012, 09:59 AM

25,373 posts, read 37,093,283 times
Quote:
And would rescue your daughter in a fire or catch a bullet for you!!

Well, in the unlikely event that they rescue a relative of mine or take a bullet for me, then we'll talk about infrastructure. But until then, they can go to Hell and put in their OWN infrastructure.

Pssst, it seems they are not very good even at rescuing THEMSELVES from fires, let alone my imaginary daughter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City