Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 06:21 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,044,036 times

Advertisements

I understand that the residents pay city and property taxes and the city will pay for what they are responsible for. What I want to know is why does a private community expect govt assistance for the things they agreed to manage? If they receive it will they continue to be a private community?

New York City Enclaves, Long Gated, Seek to Let In Storm Aid - NYTimes.com

Old 11-27-2012, 06:52 AM

18,478 posts, read 31,653,017 times
I have mixed emotions about Sea Gate and Breezy Point as gated communities. I read the article and I am not sure how I feel. If they are paying taxes to the city, then of course the City should fix things.

But lets also think, these islands are barrier islands, who is to say another hurricane like this can hit, say next month. It can, no one can predict Mother Nature.....homes really should not be built on barrier islands...then to rebuild.???
in the same place that was just washed away by a flood. ????

Old 11-27-2012, 07:17 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,044,036 times
The city and these communities had agreements in place prior to the storm. The community made a decision long ago about what they would be responsible for because they did not want the community open to outsiders. Now the city is paying for what they agreed to pay as part of the original agreement but the residents of those communities seem to feel entitled to additional assistance at the expense of the taxpayers because they can't afford to rebuild certain infrastructure they agreed to be responsible for.

Is this fair? Will they continue to be gated private communities? Why should my tax dollars pay for a place that I can't go to as an outsider?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I have mixed emotions about Sea Gate and Breezy Point as gated communities. I read the article and I am not sure how I feel. If they are paying taxes to the city, then of course the City should fix things.

But lets also think, these islands are barrier islands, who is to say another hurricane like this can hit, say next month. It can, no one can predict Mother Nature.....homes really should not be built on barrier islands...then to rebuild.???
in the same place that was just washed away by a flood. ????

Old 11-27-2012, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
The city and these communities had agreements in place prior to the storm. The community made a decision long ago about what they would be responsible for because they did not want the community open to outsiders. Now the city is paying for what they agreed to pay as part of the original agreement but the residents of those communities seem to feel entitled to additional assistance at the expense of the taxpayers because they can't afford to rebuild certain infrastructure they agreed to be responsible for.

Is this fair? Will they continue to be gated private communities? Why should my tax dollars pay for a place that I can't go to as an outsider?
YES, THIS I WILL AGREE WITH.

Actually this summer we rode our bikes along the boardwalk up to Sea gate, i would have liked to ride all the way thru, just to see it, nothing more nothing less, but we werent allowed because of it being private.

so yes, now that i think of it, this private property is for the birds.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:41 AM

25,373 posts, read 37,093,283 times
Quote:
I understand that the residents pay city and property taxes

I would like to know exactly HOW MUCH they pay in city and property taxes, and what proportion of these actually go towards City and State expenses and how much go to their own expenses. (Like private security, fire protection, lifeguards, sanitation, water, schools.)

I lived in a community that wanted to be exclusionary but the City said fine, then get rid of your own your own garbage and pave your own streets including the infratructure UNDER the streets like water, gas, cable etc. and provide your own police force.The community QUICKLY ceded the streets to the City.

Last edited by Kefir King; 11-27-2012 at 10:50 AM..

Old 11-27-2012, 10:48 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,068,233 times
Quote:
YES, THIS I WILL AGREE WITH.

Actually this summer we rode our bikes along the boardwalk up to Sea gate, i would have liked to ride all the way thru, just to see it, nothing more nothing less, but we werent allowed because of it being private.

so yes, now that i think of it, this private property is for the birds.
I want to walk through your back yard just to see it. Is that ok? Oh wait, you probably dont have a back yard.

Sorry...private property is legal. You arent wanted in Sea Gate, then go somewhere else. Its a big city, you know.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:01 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,332,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
I want to walk through your back yard just to see it. Is that ok? Oh wait, you probably dont have a back yard.

Sorry...private property is legal. You arent wanted in Sea Gate, then go somewhere else. Its a big city, you know.
Yeah but if a tree falls in your private back yard, would you expect the city to remove it for you? You have to pay to do that yourself. That's the point of the post and article.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post

your nasty.

a back yard that I pay for is completely mine, it cannot compare to a specific area called private.

****sticks tongue out *****

My name is "Talky Tina", and I'm beginning to hate you!

Old 11-27-2012, 11:15 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,314,963 times
Quote:
your nasty.

a back yard that I pay for is completely mine, it cannot compare to a specific area called private.

****sticks tongue out *****

My name is "Talky Tina", and I'm beginning to hate you!
Reread the article.

Quote:
Developers apply to get the names of any city streets within a purchased plot removed from official city maps, which requires a vote by the City Council.

If demapping is approved, the street essentially becomes private property and the community can choose to bar nonresidents, though the city can apply leverage during the negotiations over land use to keep the street open to the public — as the streets of Fieldston, a private but not gated community, are in the Bronx.
The streets within their boundaries are indeed like their own private backyard. And they agreed to pay for the upkeep of such for this privilege. Now Sea Gate and Breezy Point are seeking to renege on their agreement, but still keep their areas private and restricted to everyone else.

If they want money from the rest of the taxpayers to fix their own private property, then their property need not be private anymore when it comes to what the taxpayers pay to fix, such as the streets, beaches and seawall.

Why should they have it both ways?

Old 11-27-2012, 11:29 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,908,267 times
Too bad for them. Probably they should've thought about a potential natural disaster when they were negotiating with the city the terms of the arrangement.
I would be willing that they use more tax money to rebuild as long as they open up. If they reject this offer, I would say to them: " sorry but you are on your own as you guys wanted it from the very beginning. Come back asking for extra help when you're ready to open up your community "
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City