Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 02:33 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,218,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
If you think THAT's a "fifty dollar phrase", well.....

You finally get it! It was you choice to quote the poorly sourced article. I had already poked plenty of holes in it. It's not my fault you bought his half-baked arguments.

so you really had no preconceived notions about the area?

did someone log on as you or what? lol...

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...l#post12810827

Checkmate...

Old 12-05-2012, 03:34 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,314,963 times
Quote:
If you think THAT's a "fifty dollar phrase", well.....

You finally get it! It was you choice to quote the poorly sourced article. I had already poked plenty of holes in it. It's not my fault you bought his half-baked arguments.

so you really had no preconceived notions about the area?

did someone log on as you or what? lol...

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...l#post12810827
It's a fifty dollar phrase to YOU.

I had no preconceived notions about what the article was actually about because I knew little on the subject of how costs are allocated.

The preconceived notions I have relate to the almost complete (and WELL KNOWN TO ALL) lack of minorities in the closed communities that are Breezy Point and Sea Gate and the reasons behind that. As you conveniently did not quote what was contained in your little "find" of my two-sentence previous post, these preconceived notions were related to me directly from the mouths of Breezy Point residents. So blame them for my "beliefs," if you will.

Here's another fifty dollar phrase to you:

Look up the term "de facto" so you can understand the following sentence.

"Instead of outright breaking the law, communities like Breezy Point and Sea Gate just "sidestepped" it by purposefully and deliberately creating policies for the sale of property within their boundaries that result in de facto racial discrimination and segregation."

Old 12-05-2012, 04:19 PM

11,641 posts, read 12,715,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I had read immediately following the hurricane that the standard is for the Gov't NOT to allow folks to rebuild on the barrier islands. I read the land is owned by the Gov't....
But, I've found a website that might be helpful to those in that unique situation. Plus my yahoo search yielded several related to past disasters in various states. Hope this helps someone.
Our Misson | Rebuild Barrier Islands
Someone else mentioned Breezy Point as a barrier island as well. Breezy Point is a section of Rockaway, which is quite attached, thank you very much to Nassau County. If you read one of my other posts, somewhere or other, I mentioned that there have always been pockets of flooding in Rockaway after a hard rain, like in so many places. I can't tell you specifically about those spots in Breezy because I am one of those who were not allowed inside their pearly gates. The last tidal flooding of this magnitude, this extreme, was in 1960 from Hurricane Donna. There have been other hurricanes since Donna, without doing so much damage and without any evacuations. Whether something like this is going to happen again, less than 50 years from now, I don't have the knowledge to make that prediction or to discuss it.

Old 12-05-2012, 04:39 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,764,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
It's a fifty dollar phrase to YOU.

I had no preconceived notions about what the article was actually about because I knew little on the subject of how costs are allocated.
sadly this article lacked the information to help you in this area.
Quote:
The preconceived notions I have relate to the almost complete (and WELL KNOWN TO ALL) lack of minorities in the closed communities that are Breezy Point and Sea Gate and the reasons behind that. As you conveniently did not quote what was contained in your little "find" of my two-sentence previous post, these preconceived notions were related to me directly from the mouths of Breezy Point residents. So blame them for my "beliefs," if you will.
and that didnt' result in any pre-existing animosity? Sure...lol.
Quote:
"Instead of outright breaking the law, communities like Breezy Point and Sea Gate just "sidestepped" it by purposefully and deliberately creating policies for the sale of property within their boundaries that result in de facto racial discrimination and segregation."
you mean policies that are common to many other cooperative communities?

Old 12-05-2012, 05:04 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,314,963 times
Quote:
sadly this article lacked the information to help you in this area.

and that didnt' result in any pre-existing animosity? Sure...lol.

you mean policies that are common to many other cooperative communities?
No comment on the article. Again, talk to the NYT about it.

Why should ***I*** have any anomosity? I was allowed in those pearly gates as a guest. I have no personal anomosity against anyone living there, but I think their policies are archaic and unnecessary.

Sobro addressed the policy in post #29 that is the one that most provides de facto segregation ... letters of recommendation from current homeowners in the community.

I also noticed you never answered my question in post #30. How odd, since you rush to answer anything else I write! So I will pose it again:

You said there were "non-whites living in Breezy Point." I asked:

Non-whites living there AS THE APPROVED TO PURCHASE HOMEOWNER or non-whites living there who married in or some other way?

Are there any non-whites that are actually the homeowner who got purchase approval?

Old 12-05-2012, 05:44 PM

34,098 posts, read 47,316,181 times
Quote:

Are there any non-whites that are actually the homeowner who got purchase approval?
checkmate

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-05-2012, 05:51 PM

34,098 posts, read 47,316,181 times
what the hell kind of "infrastructure" does Breezy have anyway? They have no sewers and their roads are de-mapped off the city. So for all you guys saying they should receive help with their infrastructure, Verizon got their phone lines and LIPA got their power. they have nothing else anyway.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Last edited by SeventhFloor; 12-06-2012 at 06:00 AM..

Old 12-05-2012, 06:00 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,254,179 times
How many homes where destroyed in the fire? What's the final count?

Old 12-05-2012, 10:18 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,547,956 times
Quote:

I also noticed you never answered my question in post #30. How odd, since you rush to answer anything else I write! So I will pose it again:

You said there were "non-whites living in Breezy Point." I asked:

Non-whites living there AS THE APPROVED TO PURCHASE HOMEOWNER or non-whites living there who married in or some other way?

Checkmate to Infinity!

Old 12-06-2012, 07:11 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,764,254 times
Quote:
There's no way for me or anyone else who's not a member of the cooperative leadership to know for sure. There are couples I know of who are both non-white so it's safe to assume they were approved at some point. Even if you were to marry someone who currently lives there, if you're on the mortgate you have to be approved.

But again, for those accusing the cooperative of excluding non-whites, do they even know how many non-whites have tried to purchase there over the years? We're talking about a tiny corner of the city that was relatively under the radar prior to Sandy. Additionally, it wasn't that long ago that the community was primarly summer residents only. Commuting via mass transit from this area is a huge pain. Looking to the east of the community, you'll find very few if any non-whites in areas like Neponsit and Belle Harbor, yet they are totally public. Are we noticing a trend here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City