Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2013, 12:57 PM

25,556 posts, read 24,032,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somewhere in Time View Post
What kind of message are we sending to our police officers who are putting their lives on the line every day by enacting such aggressive procedures? You're good enough to sacrifice your life, but we still don't trust you, so let's follow you around with cameras. That's some "outstanding" moral support.
We're sending cops the message that they are human just like everyone else, and not above the law. And no more entitled to respect than any other worker, and that includes the cashier at Macy's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 01:00 PM

2,040 posts, read 2,464,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
Bludy must be a cop. That's the cop mentality: Don't question us or exercise your right to peacefully protest or vote. Just be quiet and take-it.
I'm a funeral director actually. I don't care much for young people with bullet holes in them. I make plenty of money taking care of old folks that die of natural causes.

And I have no idea why you'd think that I'd be against peaceful protesting or what ever gave you that idea.

In fact, I would HIGHLY encourage Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton organizing a protest to stop the murdering of your own people. For some reason Blacks listen to them as opposed to Bill Cosby speaking the truth.

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 08-23-2013, 01:01 PM

268 posts, read 341,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
We're sending cops the message that they are human just like everyone else, and not above the law. And no more entitled to respect than any other worker, and that includes the cashier at Macy's.
Is that right? I think they're well aware that they're human, seeing how many of them put their lives on the line every day, but that's okay though. The types of attitudes around here convey that cops are apparently nothing more but servants to the public who are unappreciative of what they contribute to our society.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:10 PM

Quote:
I'm not afraid, and by the way, cops cannot prevent murders. All they can do is respond to the crime afterwards and arrest the murderer. Its not like cops have special psychic powers that alert them to when someone is going to do a murder.
Stop and Frisk however has substantially lowered the murder rate.....so it's questionable if cops can't prevent murders.

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 08-23-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludy-L View Post
Stop and Frisk however has substantially lowered the murder rate.....so it's questionable if cops can't prevent murders.

Posted with TapaTalk
There's no proof stop and frisk has lowered the murder rate. Most people are not killed by random criminals. Generally, its someone you had a personal beef with.

Cops don't prevent those murders.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:26 PM

Did anyone note the TITLE of this thread?

A Necessary Evil

Obviously no one LIKES the idea. So much so it was referred to as an "evil".

The question is if it's necessary or not.

Some feel that perhaps it is even if it sucks. Again...this brings into question of what is the alternative?

More death and injury of Blacks and Latinos?

Blomberg is a rich White guy who's got security and lives like a king. The murders don't personally affect him at all. Now, I think he goes overboard with things like banning large soft drinks, but in this case I think his heart is in the right place.

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 08-23-2013, 01:27 PM

Quote:
I'm a funeral director actually. I don't care much for young people with bullet holes in them. I make plenty of money taking care of old folks that die of natural causes.

And I have no idea why you'd think that I'd be against peaceful protesting or what ever gave you that idea.

In fact, I would HIGHLY encourage Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton organizing a protest to stop the murdering of your own people. For some reason Blacks listen to them as opposed to Bill Cosby speaking the truth.

Posted with TapaTalk
How do you know Blacks listen to Jackson or Sharpon or Cosby? Are you an expert on Blacks? Are you in the homes of all Blacks? Jackson is washed up and washed out and over in the age of Obama. There is no one person who is the commander of Black people. Just because someone Black tells me something doesn't mean I have to listen (ditto for anyone of any other race).

Old 08-23-2013, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Did anyone note the TITLE of this thread?

More death and injury of Blacks and Latinos?

Blomberg is a rich White guy who's got security and lives like a king. The murders don't personally affect him at all. Now, I think he goes overboard with things like banning large soft drinks, but in this case I think his heart is in the right place.

Posted with TapaTalk
First of all, in poor neighborhoods, the average person is NOT at RISK of being murdered. The murders are typically gangster related violence, where gangs battle each other for turf. If you're not a gang banger or a drug dealer you're fine. And Stop and Frisk does not stop gangs from shooting each other by the way, nor does it stop drug dealing (you can get drugs anywhere). I've lived in Black and Latino neighborhoods for many years, even pre Giuliani, and I overall never had a problem.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:33 PM

268 posts, read 341,202 times
Quote:
First of all, in poor neighborhoods, the average person is NOT at RISK of being murdered. The murders are typically gangster related violence, where gangs battle each other for turf. If you're not a gang banger or a drug dealer you're fine. And Stop and Frisk does not stop gangs from shooting each other by the way, nor does it stop drug dealing (you can get drugs anywhere). I've lived in Black and Latino neighborhoods for many years, even pre Giuliani, and I overall never had a problem.
So what about all of the victims that are dead that weren't parts of gangs? How do you explain all of those murders?

Old 08-23-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somewhere in Time View Post
So what about all of the victims that are dead that weren't parts of gangs? How do you explain all of those murders?
All of what victims? Bloomberg claimed at the height of NYC's crime epidemic, in 1991, that were slightly over 2000 murders. That's not so many in a city of 8 million people. That was at the height of the crack cocaine epidemic, and yes, many of the debt were those who went after each other in turf wars.

Number 2, a number of murder victims are not the victims of street criminals. You have domestic violence, and you have other types of murder that have nothing to do with what's going on in the streets.

You even have politically motivated murder, like the Sept. 11th terrorist attacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City