Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 02:58 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,321,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BushidoBrown187 View Post
i was looking around malcolm x blvd and jefferson
Might already be pricey over there by now, but a good place to start. If that location is out of budget, keep following the A/C or J/Z lines eastbound. I think I remember you stating that a crime-free area is not that much of a factor. The A/C stays black until you hit Queens. The J/Z turns more Spanish once you past either Alabama or the Van Siclen stops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 03:15 PM

61 posts, read 71,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Might already be pricey over there by now, but a good place to start. If that location is out of budget, keep following the A/C or J/Z lines eastbound. I think I remember you stating that a crime-free area is not that much of a factor. The A/C stays black until you hit Queens. The J/Z turns more Spanish once you past either Alabama or the Van Siclen stops.

sorry whats A/C and J/Z

Old 10-30-2013, 03:26 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,321,216 times
Quote:
sorry whats A/C and J/Z
Subway lines

Old 10-30-2013, 07:10 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,133,578 times
Quote:
i thought east flatbush was worse than west
There's no neighborhood called "West Flatbush". It's just plain ol' regular Flatbush.

In any case, I'm not sure why, but for whatever reason, I've seen it listed a million times that East Flatbush is worse than Flatbush and I think most of those posters are full of ****. There are good and bad sections of both areas (and generally, more good sections than bad ones).

Quote:
next to flatbush ave
FWIW, In that area, Flatbush Avenue is kind of the dividing line between black neighborhoods and white neighborhoods in that part of Brooklyn (Midwood is mostly white, especially Jewish, while Flatbush & Flatlands are mostly black)

Quote:
sorry whats A/C and J/Z
They're subway lines.

Basically, most of the areas along the A/C lines are black neighborhoods (southern Bed-Stuy, northern Crown Heights, Ocean Hill, East NY).

Along the J/Z, west of Broadway Junction, it runs over (as in over the physical street) Broadway, which is the dividing line between Bed-Stuy (which is more black), and Bushwick (which is more Hispanic), though both areas have both blacks & Hispanics. East of Broadway Junction, the areas along the J/Z are mostly Hispanics, with some Blacks, but not that many.

Along the L line, pretty much all the black neighborhoods are south of Broadway Junction. (East NY & Canarsie).

In any case, I would say to look in the general Flatbush/Crown Heights area and see what works for you. (Generally, the closer you are to the subway lines, the more bustling the area is, which is why I would rule out many parts of East Flatbush. Not because of safety issues, but because it might be too quiet for your tastes. Same thing with much of Canarsie and pretty much all of Flatlands)

Old 10-30-2013, 07:18 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,257,880 times
If someone were to start a thread on here asking to move to a WHITE neighborhood, I'm sure many on here who are supporting the OP's request would pull the race card. Talk about DOUBLE STANDARD!!!!!

Old 10-30-2013, 08:45 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,487,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
If someone were to start a thread on here asking to move to a WHITE neighborhood, I'm sure many on here who are supporting the OP's request would pull the race card. Talk about DOUBLE STANDARD!!!!!
Why does this offend you? What do you think people are asking when they question the safety of a neighborhood? How many white people live in predominately black neighborhoods? Aren't we constantly hearing about white flight when too many minorities move in? What do you want? We do not live in a world filled with peace, love and acceptance. It is mostly tolerance and hypocrisy. What does "not in my backyard mean"? Let's be honest and stop hiding behind words.

Old 10-30-2013, 09:31 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,257,880 times
Hey I'm cool with a black person asking to live in a black neighborhood. I have no issue with that. However, if a white man did the same and asked for a white neighborhood, all you people would of been bashing him and calling him racist and every name in the book. How do I know? Cause its happened before. I'm just not cool with the double standard, thats all.

Old 10-31-2013, 06:10 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,487,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
Hey I'm cool with a black person asking to live in a black neighborhood. I have no issue with that. However, if a white man did the same and asked for a white neighborhood, all you people would of been bashing him and calling him racist and every name in the book. How do I know? Cause its happened before. I'm just not cool with the double standard, thats all.
I do not think you understand what I mean. You do not have to come out and say it. You usually just ask if the neighborhood is safe.

I do not have any issues with white people desiring to live amongst their own. We are culturally different. Isn't that why we have Caribbean, Black American, Haitian, Italian, Jewish and Asian neighborhoods?

I do think it is racist for a white person to express discord whenever a person of another race chooses to do something that does not involve the majority race. We live in your world everyday of our lives and it is not easy. It is not a conspiracy. Sometimes, we just want to be comfortable too.

Old 10-31-2013, 07:01 AM

573 posts, read 1,463,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I do not have any issues with white people desiring to live amongst their own. We are culturally different. Isn't that why we have Caribbean, Black American, Haitian, Italian, Jewish and Asian neighborhoods?
No. If y'all Americans have such a segregated society it's basically because this nation was built on slavery, and the idea of white supremacy. Hence the fact y'all see everything by the prism of skin color, or "race" like you say. Slavery brought the "race" concept to the forefront, and it has ruled american society to this day.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:18 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,990,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchy93 View Post
No. If y'all Americans have such a segregated society it's basically because this nation was built on slavery, and the idea of white supremacy. Hence the fact y'all see everything by the prism of skin color, or "race" like you say. Slavery brought the "race" concept to the forefront, and it has ruled american society to this day.
And how many other nations were built on slavery and on colonialism?

Don't try to deny that there's racism or racial issues in Europe. Aren't there huge problems with Muslim immigrants in France? Don't the Arabs tend to live in poor neighborhoods?

Oprah recently went shopping in Switerzland, where a clerk assumed because she was black she couldn't afford a handbag. I guess she took her for a poor African immigrant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City