Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 10:11 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
Either open the borders up and wave the white flag or enforce those coming here illegally. Though I think we are a few decades too late on these issues. It's like trying to close the barn door after the horse has bolted. Ten states now give drivers licenses to people regardless of immigration status and still more have introduced such a bill, with New York state being one of them. It's not like that will make every uninsured driver seek out an insurance agent. But it does give them another valid ID in this country. I think people have lost their minds. And then on the other side of the coin, they are very, very strict on tourist visas from 3rd world countries. Those trying to come legally get the fees, waits, and denials if poor. I find that so hypocritical when we are rewarding those that came illegally and then be so hard nosed to those trying to come legally, even if for just a short time.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 01:15 PM

13,651 posts, read 20,783,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee1995 View Post
There's no such thing as an "illegal." That term means nothing except that you're a racist POS who reduces people to their immigration status.

You need to use the term "illegal alien" or "undocumented alien." Seriously, it's just gross to call actual human beings "illegals."
Ironically, there is something to this.

It is not racist so much as simply innaccurate.

Illegals are being given ID cards, In state tuition and access to the social welfare state. Not to mention jobs. They show up at demonstrations and even testify before Congress. Barely a finger is lifted to oppose them.

I propose we refer to them as.....DECRIMINALIZED IMMIGRANTS.

Kind of like Marijuana in the Netherlands. It ain't quite legal, but it might as well be.

Old 07-17-2014, 02:27 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,754,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
Either open the borders up and wave the white flag or enforce those coming here illegally. Though I think we are a few decades too late on these issues. It's like trying to close the barn door after the horse has bolted. Ten states now give drivers licenses to people regardless of immigration status and still more have introduced such a bill, with New York state being one of them. It's not like that will make every uninsured driver seek out an insurance agent. But it does give them another valid ID in this country. I think people have lost their minds. And then on the other side of the coin, they are very, very strict on tourist visas from 3rd world countries. Those trying to come legally get the fees, waits, and denials if poor. I find that so hypocritical when we are rewarding those that came illegally and then be so hard nosed to those trying to come legally, even if for just a short time.
Things can be done about illegal immigration however corporations and politicians will not see to it. Fine all business that hire them. Punish anyone who gives refuge to them. Give NYPD the power to arrest them on the spot. Take away the aid that we give to countries that send them here. This is a problem that can easily be solved.

Last edited by Above Average Bear; 07-17-2014 at 02:45 PM..

Old 07-20-2014, 01:11 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,248,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
The Valentines massacre in Chicago was considered at it's time hideous. One of the worst atrocities seen in the Windy City. 7 people were killed. This past weekend over 75 people shot and 17 killed in the Windy City.

XNY'er, Could you put some blame on a segment of the Republican party that want's cheap labor in order to break the unions? Also a large segment of Democrats who don't want any borders at all but also want to turn a state like Texas blue?
If you think Valentines massacre is the worst thing that's ever happened in a city back in the 20th century, you're blind. Crime and murder numbered in the tens of thousands/year in NYC back in the 70's and 80's.. We've only had a recent run of relative urban peace but it won't last. It was the Giuliani experiment in the 1990's which was modeled into other cities soon after and has now reached it's 20th year but it's over. Crime is on the rise and will continue as the wealth divide widens. This is when people begin to move out of the city again and running to the suburbs become popular. Last 5 years is where the re-urbanization bubble hit it's top as kids moved in droves and are still moving to Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens from all parts of the USA. That's usually the top. We saw the same thing in the 60's and then crime went out of control in NYC until most of the 80's where cab drivers wouldn't dare even drive to alphabet city or most parts of lower east side and anything above 80th street after sunset. It's cyclical folks, can't blame any particular immigrant group. Has more to do with government corruption and federal reserve bank policy

Old 07-20-2014, 02:03 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,727,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
What do you think the real reason Democrats are so gung-ho about amnesty? There is only one reason. Because they assume that these newly minted Americans will be so grateful to them that they will vote Democrat, pushing states like Texas, Arizona, North Carolina, Colorado, etc., into permanent Democratic strongholds. There is no other reason.

In the past, the NAACP and other civil rights groups were against massive immigration because the immigrants drove down wages, which often hurt black Americans. No more. It's all about getting more Democrat votes.

Of course they fail to recognize that Hispanics have very low voter turnout, and Hispanics will integrate into the society just like other groups. First and second generation Irish and Italians were reliably Democrats. Now they are much more likely to be Republicans.

Also, I hate the term "Hispanic." You could be a rich white investment banker from Argentina with the last name of Lopez, and you are classified as Hispanic, and your kids could get preferences in college admission. Just outrageous. Treat Hispanics like any other American immigrant group for goodness sakes.
My Hispanic side was the cliché 1st-2nd generation Democratic voters. They saw the 1920s prosperity, the Great Depression, and FDR -- whose politics ensured they would vote Democratic for the remainder if their lives. Generation 3 & 4 are more conservative.

As for your last assertion: not all Hispanics are white. My last name is not Hispanic, I am white in appearance. Why shouldn't I take advantage of my ethnicity because I am white in appearance? Why is it acceptable for those Hispanics whose skin is olive, brown, or black to take advantage?

Old 07-21-2014, 12:20 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,547,497 times
DeBlasio wants to legitmatize illegals but will put up hurdles for Asians trying to get into HS who simoly harder. Dems go figure....Thank yoo, I have decided to become a Republican or Independent. Dems are a bunch of morons who play up the race card but only when it affect Blacks and Hispanics. Romney 2016

Old 07-24-2014, 07:58 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba454 View Post
bad idea
Padding your post count to start some new weird thread I see?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City