Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2014, 05:52 PM

50 posts, read 58,837 times

Advertisements

C'mon NYwriter dude, Wall Street and Big Business haven't seen such halcyon days since the Good Guy or slick Willy if you prefer was in the White House.

How many of those fat cat bankers that raped the economy ended up in jail. And for the record Wall Street and big business gave more money to the Dems then the Republicans.

Frankly many of the politicians in both parties are repugnant hypocritical parasites and have done their best to divide us.

What did comrade DiBlazio do to make things more equal. Did he pass an additional surtax on the sale of all single family apartments over 5 million and use that money to reduce property and or income taxes for middle class New Yorkers. Nah, he'll just continue to f$&k over hard working New Yorkers and small business owners while his trust fund hipster constituents sip their lattes in Williamsburg and Soho and brag about how progressive they are as they slum it in their 3 million dollar lofts in edgy neighborhoods and write out checks to his campaign. As long as he can convince most of the outter borough citizens that he's taking it to evil whitey, he should continue to win elections even if nothing changes for most New Yorkers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2014, 06:33 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,835,116 times
I hear Cuba and Venezuela are nice places, you should try em out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frusciante View Post
C'mon NYwriter dude, Wall Street and Big Business haven't seen such halcyon days since the Good Guy or slick Willy if you prefer was in the White House.

How many of those fat cat bankers that raped the economy ended up in jail. And for the record Wall Street and big business gave more money to the Dems then the Republicans.

Frankly many of the politicians in both parties are repugnant hypocritical parasites and have done their best to divide us.

What did comrade DiBlazio do to make things more equal. Did he pass an additional surtax on the sale of all single family apartments over 5 million and use that money to reduce property and or income taxes for middle class New Yorkers. Nah, he'll just continue to f$&k over hard working New Yorkers and small business owners while his trust fund hipster constituents sip their lattes in Williamsburg and Soho and brag about how progressive they are as they slum it in their 3 million dollar lofts in edgy neighborhoods and write out checks to his campaign. As long as he can convince most of the outter borough citizens that he's taking it to evil whitey, he should continue to win elections even if nothing changes for most New Yorkers.

Old 07-12-2014, 07:59 PM

260 posts, read 434,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
This is exactly what I was thinking. Illegals come here for one reason only, to make money at the expense of US citizens. Take away the incentive and they won't come anymore.
The illegals come to make money to support themselves and their families, both here and back home in their countries. They don't want to harm U.S. citizens. Most economic studies show that low-skilled immigration doesn't hurt American workers much. A 10% increase in the amount of immigrants will lead to a 1% decline in wages, essentially.

They don't even necessarily want citizenship. They just need work. Many Mexican green card holders don't even try to become citizens when they are eligible. Democrats want their votes, but they have low voter turnout anyway.

Many small businesses hire illegals and rely on them to do business. If not, the cost of products would likely rise. It's not like we can make them disappear with the snap of a finger.

Despite all of the illegals, the U.S. remains the country with one of the highest median incomes in the developed world and has some of the lowest living costs.

Old 07-12-2014, 09:51 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,755,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blainnyc View Post
The illegals come to make money to support themselves and their families, both here and back home in their countries. They don't want to harm U.S. citizens. Most economic studies show that low-skilled immigration doesn't hurt American workers much. A 10% increase in the amount of immigrants will lead to a 1% decline in wages, essentially.

They don't even necessarily want citizenship. They just need work. Many Mexican green card holders don't even try to become citizens when they are eligible. Democrats want their votes, but they have low voter turnout anyway.

Many small businesses hire illegals and rely on them to do business. If not, the cost of products would likely rise. It's not like we can make them disappear with the snap of a finger.

Despite all of the illegals, the U.S. remains the country with one of the highest median incomes in the developed world and has some of the lowest living costs.
Illegals sure do effect wages, it's called supply and demand. Look at N Dakota the lack of people has led to cashiers there making $17.40 an hour at Walmart no less.

ND workers enjoy high wages despite lack of minimum wage law « Watchdog.org

Old 07-12-2014, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Illegals sure do effect wages, it's called supply and demand. Look at N Dakota the lack of people has led to cashiers there making $17.40 an hour at Walmart no less.

ND workers enjoy high wages despite lack of minimum wage law « Watchdog.org
ND also has a booming economy because of gas and such. Not comparable. Immigration has little to do with it, so enough of it.

If you look at actual economic studies on the topic, you'd understand. Not this "speculation".

I guess Japan's lack of wage growth is due to such high levels of immigration. Give me a break. (and don't pull the population card on Japan, its population and workforce are declining in size)

Last edited by blainnyc; 07-12-2014 at 10:52 PM..

Old 07-12-2014, 10:54 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,984,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
So let me ask, how many times have you been to Brazil, Paraguay, Haiti? How's your Portuguese? If I'm correct, you're openly gay? Yeah, I hear Jamaica is a real nice place to be gay. Gsy sex only carries a minimum of ten years in jail, and that's getting of easy if you're not caught by machete hacking citizens. I'm sure almost as nice as most parts of Africa and Asia like India, Afghanistan, etc.

Maybe to you there's no such thing as American. But not to me. I BBQ on the Fourth of July. I honor our troops on Memorial Day. I take my hat off at a ball game and sing the Star-Spangled Banner. I'm an American and I'm damn fckn proud of it. And lucky for you, one of the great things about our country (I don't know, maybe you don't consider it 'yours') is you are afforded the same freedoms as everyone else, even if you take no pride in this wonderful nation.
Jamaica, only one country out of how many in Latin America and the Caribbean?

So I'm not sure what your point is in even mentioning it this particularly context. My Spanish is good, but Portuguese is similar and I got by pretty good in Brazil.

And no, this is not my country. I can go anywhere I please, also, I don't own any country. I'm not at all a nationalist. I just happened to be born here.

Old 07-12-2014, 10:58 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,984,523 times
Quote:

Yet enough Mexicans and Latins in general do become citizens and do vote enough to have major influence in elections. The Hispanic vote in NYC was a big part of why de Blasio one, and a big part of why California has a democratic governor. The Hispanic vote was a big part of why Florida voted for Obama twice. Asians also voted for the Democrats in big numbers.

Mexican green card holders give birth to children who are US citizens and they vote. Over time it has had big political effects, and since the Republican party decided to cater to fascists and racists, they've paid a big political price.

Old 07-12-2014, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Yet enough Mexicans and Latins in general do become citizens and do vote enough to have major influence in elections. The Hispanic vote in NYC was a big part of why de Blasio one, and a big part of why California has a democratic governor. The Hispanic vote was a big part of why Florida voted for Obama twice. Asians also voted for the Democrats in big numbers.

Mexican green card holders give birth to children who are US citizens and they vote. Over time it has had big political effects, and since the Republican party decided to cater to fascists and racists, they've paid a big political price.
I don't think the Latino vote is completely lost. George Bush didn't do so bad among Latinos. Mexicans in Texas are not as left-wing as their counterparts in Cali, so they won't turn the state blue soon. The Republicans could do much better, of course.

New York Latinos are mostly Puerto Rican and Dominican, so I wouldn't really compare them to Mexicans and Central Americans. Those in the Northeast also fail to recognize that crime rates among Mexicans is lower than that amongst Puerto Ricans or Dominicans, especially when controlling for age.

Old 07-12-2014, 11:31 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,755,733 times
Quote:
ND also has a booming economy because of gas and such. Not comparable. Immigration has little to do with it, so enough of it.

If you look at actual economic studies on the topic, you'd understand. Not this "speculation".

I guess Japan's lack of wage growth is due to such high levels of immigration. Give me a break. (and don't pull the population card on Japan, its population and workforce are declining in size)

So I guess that Walmart in N Dakota is paying cashiers $17.40 an hour because it is the right thing to do? According to the link illegals are too few to count in NDakota, I think that is why Walmart pays double the Federal minimum wage. Illegals in NYC are over 500,000. That's 4th behind California, Texas, and Florida. I don't know any Walmart cashiers making $17.40 an hour in NYC.

Illegal Aliens Taking U.S. Jobs (2013)

Old 07-12-2014, 11:36 PM

Quote:
So I guess that Walmart in N Dakota is paying cashiers $17.40 an hour because it is the right thing to do? According to the link illegals are too few to count in NDakota, I think that is why Walmart pays double the Federal minimum wage. Illegals in NYC are over 500,000. That's 4th behind California, Texas, and Florida. I don't know any Walmart cashiers making $17.40 an hour in NYC.

Illegal Aliens Taking U.S. Jobs (2013)
I'm aware of Fair US and their biased stuff. I might as well pull stuff from the Cato Institute for you, but then you won't take me seriously either.

Like I said, ND is in a league of its own.

Don't worry anyway. The U.S. workforce growth will slow as White Americans decline in population, so you'll get what you want in some odd way I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City