Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2014, 12:20 PM

34,134 posts, read 47,363,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
Funny how politicians along with certain posters here will twist themselves into pretzels to accommodate the poor. Free Pre k and low income housing.
Which politicians are you talking about? FDR?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 01:08 PM

25,556 posts, read 24,005,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
It's not that difficult. If you can't afford to live here (at least in the style that you'd like), finds someplace else you can, and move there. Why does everyone think that NYC has to supply them a home they can afford to live in. The city and state have been trying to do this for decades, and the result is the massively screwed up housing market we have now.
Well from these threads apparently many people are moving out. Of course, many are moving in.

But ultimately you are right. If you want to live a certain lifestyle in Manhattan and cannot afford it, you have two options.

Move up socioeconomically. Can't do that? Then you'll have to move. Contrary to what people like you say it is extremely difficult to get a new subsidized apartment these days. If it were that easy you would not see threads like this.

Old 11-16-2014, 08:31 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,692,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Which politicians are you talking about? FDR?
All of them??? Try making all the pj's along the FDR Drive market rate apts. See what kind of revolution from 3rd generation pj dwellers will form. Look at all the new housing that makes developers supply "Affordable Housing". Your the mod right? Look at all threads besides "Is this area safe" that announce housing lotteries? The bottom line once again is that the wealthy can afford the homes and brownstones. Then you will get the poor because of government intervention. But the middle class family has to fend for themselves. That's why they are leaving NYC and NYS for that matter in droves.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:16 AM

Quote:
All of them??? Try making all the pj's along the FDR Drive market rate apts. See what kind of revolution from 3rd generation pj dwellers will form. Look at all the new housing that makes developers supply "Affordable Housing". Your the mod right? Look at all threads besides "Is this area safe" that announce housing lotteries? The bottom line once again is that the wealthy can afford the homes and brownstones. Then you will get the poor because of government intervention. But the middle class family has to fend for themselves. That's why they are leaving NYC and NYS for that matter in droves.
Even if the city wanted to make them market rate, they cannot do so without FEDERAL government approval. And where could they instantly put all those people? There are reasons why Republicans like Giuliani and Bloomberg did not privatize those projects.

The new so called affordable housing is just so developers can get tax credits for building luxury housing. Most of the units they build are market rate.

Old 11-16-2014, 10:04 AM

Quote:
But the middle class family has to fend for themselves. That's why they are leaving NYC and NYS for that matter in droves.
The middle class could find affordable housing in certain parts of the outer boroughs where Blacks and immigrants live. And places like Bay Ridge just aren't cool.

These areas are not under consideration by some in part due to the personal prejudices of some of these middle class people.

And I'm not really sure the middle class is actually leaving in droves, either. People often present their personal experiences as the experience of everyone else. Talk about projection. Employed middle class people like teachers, cops, etc tend to stay where they are until retirement because they risk losing out on their pension. Many of these people are already established homeowners.

Getting a new market rate place in the center of the city or anyplace nearby of course is expensive.

The people I know who left were either out of towners (with good educations) who tried and failed to establish themselves here, or people who left because they had low income jobs and found the city unaffordable. The middle class people I know all have homes they OWN in the city and they aren't going anywhere.

Which is why claims on what the middle class is or isn't doing in NYC needs to be backed up by statistical data, or otherwise it's just a bunch of people's personal stories about what they and their friends did.

So Norwoord, please present official data on what the middle class even is in NYC, and statistical evidence that they are moving in large numbers.

Old 11-16-2014, 12:31 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,788,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post

Everything is spread out, so you MUST drive a car. So add in your car note, your gasoline, your auto insurance to all of your expenses. Also factor in on a daily basis how many hours it's going to take for you to commute to work.

As an ex-NYr there are many reasons to leave NYC. Most of them are small and tend to build up on top of each other. I didn't leave due to salary or affordability as I had enough of one to cover the other. Since this thread is too long to read the whole thing and one of these threads keeps on opening every few months, I'll start off with this single item. When I lived in Brooklyn and had to commute to upper midtown driving took a little under two hours and the MTA took about a half hour less, so it was a lose-lose either way. Since we all know the expenses of owning a vehicle in NYC, I don't need to list them. So in comparison owning a car in NYC or VA the basic purchase/lease is the same. But the costs and other expenses related to it are drastically different. I'll use today's numbers as they are not much different then two decades ago. I drive a Lexus GX, gas yesterday was $2.55, yearly bumper to bumper insurance (500 ded) is $360. Maintenance is negligible in comparison. Commute has always been less than 30 minutes. Traffic? None.

For the times I have to head to NYC for a meeting; I can actually drive to the airport, catch a flight to JFK, catch a ride with the car service company I use to get into the city faster than most of the people I work with who come in from the Island. The reverse trip is the same.

Old 11-16-2014, 12:54 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,788,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Money is the biggest factor on why people are leaving,....
For the ex-NYrs I've met over the past few years, most had paychecks large enough to stay in NYC. But like me, the expenses outside of COL chipped away at the net pretty quickly. A simple parking ticket down here is around $15, yet its $115 in NYC. Add up all the fees and they make a major difference.

Old 11-16-2014, 01:02 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,153,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
As an ex-NYr there are many reasons to leave NYC. Most of them are small and tend to build up on top of each other. I didn't leave due to salary or affordability as I had enough of one to cover the other. Since this thread is too long to read the whole thing and one of these threads keeps on opening every few months, I'll start off with this single item. When I lived in Brooklyn and had to commute to upper midtown driving took a little under two hours and the MTA took about a half hour less, so it was a lose-lose either way. Since we all know the expenses of owning a vehicle in NYC, I don't need to list them. So in comparison owning a car in NYC or VA the basic purchase/lease is the same. But the costs and other expenses related to it are drastically different. I'll use today's numbers as they are not much different then two decades ago. I drive a Lexus GX, gas yesterday was $2.55, yearly bumper to bumper insurance (500 ded) is $360. Maintenance is negligible in comparison. Commute has always been less than 30 minutes. Traffic? None.

For the times I have to head to NYC for a meeting; I can actually drive to the airport, catch a flight to JFK, catch a ride with the car service company I use to get into the city faster than most of the people I work with who come in from the Island. The reverse trip is the same.
I don't get it. You start out saying you didn't leave due to affordability, then you launch into a whole long thing about how much more affordable your expenses are in your new location. If you didn't leave due to salary or affordability, why is that what you are choosing to emphasize

Also, I don't know what your specific living situation was in Brooklyn (nor does it matter) but I would like to mention that many/most choose to live a long distance/commute time from Manhattan because they can more easily afford a place in that further-out location. If you chose to live in a far-out area of Brooklyn that causes you to have a long commute, but still claim that you were making plenty of money, that doesn't make sense to me.

Old 11-16-2014, 01:31 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,692,755 times
Quote:
The middle class could find affordable housing in certain parts of the outer boroughs where Blacks and immigrants live. And places like Bay Ridge just aren't cool.

These areas are not under consideration by some in part due to the personal prejudices of some of these middle class people.

And I'm not really sure the middle class is actually leaving in droves, either. People often present their personal experiences as the experience of everyone else. Talk about projection. Employed middle class people like teachers, cops, etc tend to stay where they are until retirement because they risk losing out on their pension. Many of these people are already established homeowners.

Getting a new market rate place in the center of the city or anyplace nearby of course is expensive.

The people I know who left were either out of towners (with good educations) who tried and failed to establish themselves here, or people who left because they had low income jobs and found the city unaffordable. The middle class people I know all have homes they OWN in the city and they aren't going anywhere.

Which is why claims on what the middle class is or isn't doing in NYC needs to be backed up by statistical data, or otherwise it's just a bunch of people's personal stories about what they and their friends did.

So Norwoord, please present official data on what the middle class even is in NYC, and statistical evidence that they are moving in large numbers.
You mention where will the government place all the people? To paraphrase you, WHO CARES! That thinking is what's the problem in this once mighty country. The government has to house me??? SMH.

You keep bringing up Bay Ridge? I lived in Bay Ridge for a short time. What homes in Bay Ridge are middle class prices?????

Take a spin to the burbs surrounding NYC. Why is Pearl River loaded by x Bronxites? Go to Putnam County, Carmel or Mahopac. Go to Long Island. All x middle class New yorkers. Schools and able to purchase a home are two huge reasons for this exodus. As the burbs get expensive now you are seeing an exodus just out of heavily taxed NYS.

Old 11-16-2014, 01:32 PM

57 posts, read 57,144 times
Quote:

City faces middle-class exodus
http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...e-class-exodus

Why Middle-Class Americans Can't Afford to Live in Liberal Cities
Why Middle-Class Americans Can't Afford to Live in Liberal Cities - The Atlantic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City