Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 10:30 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,358,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
There is plenty of hispanics. I see them all the time. I however never saw a black fireman or an asian one, or a moslem one, or native american.
We live in an era of unpararalled access to information.
Why not use it?

This report is actually pretty fascinating with a lot of good insights.

Page 19.

FDNY ethnic breakdown.

White 76%
Hispanic 12%
Black 10%
Asian 2%

I would think that the firefighting positions are skewed more heavily white (if you remove paramedics, administrative, inspectors, etc.). I'm just speculating as I can't find the stats for that. The above stats at least provide a baseline.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/downloa...12_30_2013.pdf

Quote:
FDNY, LPC, and OEM have the greatest proportion of white employees. DOP, DOC, and DHS have the largest percentages of black employees. TLC, BIC, and NYCHA have the largest proportion of Hispanic employees. DDC, SCA, and HHC have the largest proportion of Asians. American Indians/Alaskan Native employees are found only in a few agencies. Looking at the trend over time, certain agencies have become significantly more diverse. For example, in Fiscal 2003, NYPD was 50% white and 50% non-white. In Fiscal 2012, the proportion of non-white employees increased to 59%, as other ethnicity groups form the majority of the agency. Indeed, all four uniformed agencies saw a proportional decrease in white employees over the ten year period..

Old 03-26-2016, 10:53 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
Facts. I'll repost them.
Stats have nothing to do with how NYPD or NYFD should be paid. It's not like they are sales people, paid for how many fires they put out or perps they shoot.

Old 03-26-2016, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Stats have nothing to do with how NYPD or NYFD should be paid. It's not like they are sales people, paid for how many fires they put out or perps they shoot.
lol
NYwriter stick to academia and your fairytale world.

Old 03-26-2016, 11:42 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,223,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
There is plenty of hispanics. I see them all the time. I however never saw a black fireman or an asian one, or a moslem one, or native american.
What does a moslem look like?

Native American? I was born here, I'm 100% native and an American as Im sure most of the firemen are too. So you have seen plenty of those.

You guys care about race and ethnicity way too much, really.

Old 03-26-2016, 11:49 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
lol
NYwriter stick to academia and your fairytale world.

Fireman and policeman are not paid as salesmen. There is no reason to cut their salaries just because crime and fires are down.

On a long term basis, if they came up with ways to effectively prevent crime and fires maybe you would need to employ less officers and firemen.

I am not an expert in what numbers of officers or firemen the NYPD and the NYFD need to remain operational, so I won't make baseless claims.

Unlike you who has never worked in law enforcement, the fire department, or disaster prevention. No one is going to take you seriously on this matter as you clearly do not have the background to claim expertise.

Old 03-26-2016, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Fireman and policeman are not paid as salesmen. There is no reason to cut their salaries just because crime and fires are down.

On a long term basis, if they came up with ways to effectively prevent crime and fires maybe you would need to employ less officers and firemen.

I am not an expert in what numbers of officers or firemen the NYPD and the NYFD need to remain operational, so I won't make baseless claims.

Unlike you who has never worked in law enforcement, the fire department, or disaster prevention. No one is going to take you seriously on this matter as you clearly do not have the background to claim expertise.
I can understand with a humanities degree that you're not particularly good with numbers but fires are down. Way down in fact. So is crime in NYC.

The Bloomberg administration weren't experts either? The Bloomberg admin had a list of 20 fire companies it wanted to shut down initially and this was in 2011. Fires have only been decreasing.

[quote]“You rank fire houses and companies based on how much they get used, what kind of response time and then you have to see at the end what kind of financial realities there are,” Bloomberg said.[quote]

Mayor Bloomberg Caves, Releases List Of Fire Houses To Be Closed « CBS New York

I know humanities degrees don't teach you guys **** but there are ways to quantify this and act in the best interests of the city. Your argument seems to be, "yes, these agencies have the city by the balls and there's nothing we can do".

As for NYPD. The 50% of the force that are desk jockeys, let's start there. Plenty of fat to trim. You want the city to build affordable housing or improve infrastructure or lower taxes? Well it can't because we waste so much money on overstaffed city agencies. It's pure waste.

Cut the fat and pay those that we actually need more. I'd have no problem with that.

Last edited by wawaweewa; 03-27-2016 at 12:06 AM..

Old 03-27-2016, 12:19 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,217,066 times
Dude, the residents of those neighborhoods came out in force in protest any time your little whiny troll of a mayor tried to close houses when he was in. It seemed clear that people had no problem using their tax dollars to keep their local companies intact.

What do you do for a living?

Old 03-27-2016, 04:06 AM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Islam is a religion so you won't necessarily know a "moslem" FDNY if he stood in front of you.

Old 03-27-2016, 05:18 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
[quote=wawaweewa;43499604]I can understand with a humanities degree that you're not particularly good with numbers but fires are down. Way down in fact. So is crime in NYC.

The Bloomberg administration weren't experts either? The Bloomberg admin had a list of 20 fire companies it wanted to shut down initially and this was in 2011. Fires have only been decreasing.

[quote]“You rank fire houses and companies based on how much they get used, what kind of response time and then you have to see at the end what kind of financial realities there are,” Bloomberg said.
Quote:

Mayor Bloomberg Caves, Releases List Of Fire Houses To Be Closed « CBS New York

I know humanities degrees don't teach you guys **** but there are ways to quantify this and act in the best interests of the city. Your argument seems to be, "yes, these agencies have the city by the balls and there's nothing we can do".

As for NYPD. The 50% of the force that are desk jockeys, let's start there. Plenty of fat to trim. You want the city to build affordable housing or improve infrastructure or lower taxes? Well it can't because we waste so much money on overstaffed city agencies. It's pure waste.

Cut the fat and pay those that we actually need more. I'd have no problem with that.
I would like to add that most of these officers don't live in the city and reside in the suburbs. That's money going away from the city coffers to support the suburbs indirectly.

Old 03-27-2016, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Dude, the residents of those neighborhoods came out in force in protest any time your little whiny troll of a mayor tried to close houses when he was in. It seemed clear that people had no problem using their tax dollars to keep their local companies intact.

What do you do for a living?
You guy sure do fight a lot of fires.
As another poster so correctly put it,glorified EMT's.

I didn't even know how bad it was before this thread and doing some elementary research.
Imagine if someone can really take a deep dive into the bull****.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City