Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 10:11 PM

3,730 posts, read 3,465,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radicalleftist View Post
another racist trump supporter. color me surprised.

you will learn to like those dominican's , and you will have to learn spanish to interact with them, sooner or later.

that is the manifest destiny of the United States, and particularly the Bronx.

we need to eradicate this country of the remaining elderly, right wing, conservative, whites that own all the businesses and hoard all the money and resources.
Why are people labelled racist when they have an opinion that differs? I never got that.

He never said anything racist, just his observation and opinions. Read it again.

Old 08-28-2016, 10:28 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,341,981 times
Ahh I remeber the old days...the 60s. My wife's parents were Italian from Throgs Neck...and boy they were Italian. But the kids moved to LI and there kids dispersed. My wife began where I did..above 200 street in Manhattan. And as a child she spoke only Italian. Only learned English when it became a problem for her parents. Her Mother and Father were both born in the US but Mom was actually raised in Italy.

The Family was expansive and Italian and pretty wonderful. Our generation however had left the nest and never went back. Even the wife's parents generation began to go off in odd directions like rural upstate NY.

The Dominicans will do the same. The second generation will move a bit and the the third totally. And we will suck them in an make Raider or Cowboy fans of them. Some may even go NASCAR. .

Old 08-28-2016, 11:47 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,913,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radicalleftist View Post
Trump is plenty racist.

Just check out the New york Times or CNN and you'll see how many times he's been racist, especially towards blacks and women.
Are you and the OP the same person?

Old 08-29-2016, 02:00 AM

47 posts, read 40,277 times
OP is a xenophobic scumbag.

It's not sarcasm.

Old 08-29-2016, 07:58 AM

4,587 posts, read 2,597,453 times
Areas that were really bad in the 80's are now pretty stable in the Bronx. High bridge is a lot nicer then it used to be. I give credit to the Dominicans for that. I'm Puerto Rican and have to give them their due.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:14 AM

738 posts, read 585,321 times
As a rule, I like Dominicans. Seems to me they make good citizens. I've lived among them and never had problems.

Old 08-29-2016, 10:45 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,039,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psi2007 View Post
When I was growing up I was taught by teachers that NYC was a melting pot. People came here from other countries, enjoyed learning in our free public schools, contributed their skills and talents, and became a part of the American fabric. All I see now are Dominicans who come here, remain isolated in their Dominican social lives, take over apartment buildings and discriminate against non-Dominicans in renting, REFUSE to learn English and still are allowed to open businesses (to cater to their own countrymen). They are not immigrants in the American way. They come to keep their language and customs and take, take, take U.S. benefits. I was born and raised in the Morrisania area of the Bronx. I left for years while in the military. I come back to the Dominican Republic and overcrowding. If the D.R. is that bad...sorry. I can see why with the attitudes of this group. Come here and contribute. Learn English. Don't come here to take over our neighborhoods and supermarkets, stuff into our public transportation and oh yeah think you're better than American born citizens. Mexicans don't do this. They come and contribute and work hard IMO. Trump should build a wall between NYC and the Dominican Republic. What the Hell!
Here is my take on the situation. Bronx will become a very Dominican borough soon. As more Puerto Ricans die out, more middle class types move to the suburbs, and does who can not afford NYC move to PA and Florida. By the end of the decade Dominicans will be the largest ethnic group in the Bronx and it will impact everything from economics, culture and even politics. Political families like Sorano, Diaz, Rivera, Velez will be in big trouble in the decade ahead as more Dominicans give birth to US citizens, or achieve US citizen ship.

As for why Bronx has so many Dominicans? Blame Washington Heights for that which is opposite the West Bronx. Also you need to understand the economic and political situation in the Dominican Republic. Even though I find Dominican Republic to be subpar modern. The country suffers from high rates in income inequality which fuels, crime, poverty, drugs and high rates of human trafficking to other areas of the Caribbean and Latin America. Also wages are not high enough, this allows Haitian migrants to take jobs that Dominicans wont do. Example in plenty of Dominican hotels, most of the workers are Haitian, or those working on sugar industry. I have seen it for myself. I even told Dominicans its best to stay where you are, and don't move to America. America is not what it used to be anymore. En America Vida no facil. Mucha dura, especilidad in Ciudad Nueva York! Dominicans gave me a sad face. Even the women want to come up here, looking to get with an American man for the opportunity. Its even sad that Dominicans even go to very poor places looking for opportunity. I came across Dominicans in Guyana, probably muling drugs, looking for gold or trafficked sex workers.

Overall I find Dominicans to be okay. Cool folks. Only issue is that they are loud, and their women are not easy unless if you are really good looking, and the women have way too much baby father drama.

Overall, the government should issue and immigration moratorium, and place limits on those who can immigrate to the US, especially from countries in Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean , and Africa for the moment.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 08-29-2016 at 11:51 AM..

Old 08-29-2016, 12:09 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,967,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Here is my take on the situation. Bronx will become a very Dominican borough soon. As more Puerto Ricans die out, more middle class types move to the suburbs, and does who can not afford NYC move to PA and Florida. By the end of the decade Dominicans will be the largest ethnic group in the Bronx and it will impact everything from economics, culture and even politics. Political families like Sorano, Diaz, Rivera, Velez will be in big trouble in the decade ahead as more Dominicans give birth to US citizens, or achieve US citizen ship.

As for why Bronx has so many Dominicans? Blame Washington Heights for that which is opposite the West Bronx. Also you need to understand the economic and political situation in the Dominican Republic. Even though I find Dominican Republic to be subpar modern. The country suffers from high rates in income inequality which fuels, crime, poverty, drugs and high rates of human trafficking to other areas of the Caribbean and Latin America. Also wages are not high enough, this allows Haitian migrants to take jobs that Dominicans wont do. Example in plenty of Dominican hotels, most of the workers are Haitian, or those working on sugar industry. I have seen it for myself. I even told Dominicans its best to stay where you are, and don't move to America. America is not what it used to be anymore. En America Vida no facil. Mucha dura, especilidad in Ciudad Nueva York! Dominicans gave me a sad face. Even the women want to come up here, looking to get with an American man for the opportunity. Its even sad that Dominicans even go to very poor places looking for opportunity. I came across Dominicans in Guyana, probably muling drugs, looking for gold or trafficked sex workers.

Overall I find Dominicans to be okay. Cool folks. Only issue is that they are loud, and their women are not easy unless if you are really good looking, and the women have way too much baby father drama.

Overall, the government should issue and immigration moratorium, and place limits on those who can immigrate to the US, especially from countries in Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean , and Africa for the moment.
I want to rep this post, but the system won't let me. Well written analysis on the current demographic trends in NYC among Latino groups. Another reason why the Bronx will become even more Dominican is upper Manhattan is gentrifying, and a lot of people will be priced out to the Bronx.

Well one reason why Dominicans will keep coming is one can WIRE money to one's family, and due to the exchange rate it works out well for people receive this money back home. Of course things don't always work out well for new immigrants.

When I was in Santo Domingo I saw gentrification. The Dominican government is promoting tourism beyond beach resorts. They now promote cultural tourism including products made in the Dominican Republic and shopping.

I think income inequality is not the biggest problem. Much of the economy in the DR is informal and cash. People who don't have formal jobs can't borrow from banks, and this hinders them from buying property, taking out loans to start business, etc. They need economic restructuring and more formalization. The DR is encouraging development in Santo Domingo via tax credits just like US cities and in other cities. Honestly I think Dominicans who live in NYC should save up money and go back to the DR to start businesses and otherwise invest, because if they wait too late the European and other foreign investors will push them out of the way.

Old 08-29-2016, 06:13 PM

34,076 posts, read 47,269,417 times
I gave both Bronxguyanese and NyWriterdude reps.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-29-2016, 06:18 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,160,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psi2007 View Post
When I was growing up I was taught by teachers that NYC was a melting pot. People came here from other countries, enjoyed learning in our free public schools, contributed their skills and talents, and became a part of the American fabric. All I see now are Dominicans who come here, remain isolated in their Dominican social lives, take over apartment buildings and discriminate against non-Dominicans in renting, REFUSE to learn English and still are allowed to open businesses (to cater to their own countrymen). They are not immigrants in the American way. They come to keep their language and customs and take, take, take U.S. benefits. I was born and raised in the Morrisania area of the Bronx. I left for years while in the military. I come back to the Dominican Republic and overcrowding. If the D.R. is that bad...sorry. I can see why with the attitudes of this group. Come here and contribute. Learn English. Don't come here to take over our neighborhoods and supermarkets, stuff into our public transportation and oh yeah think you're better than American born citizens. Mexicans don't do this. They come and contribute and work hard IMO. Trump should build a wall between NYC and the Dominican Republic. What the Hell!
Who ever taught you - taught you wrong. First gen immigrants live out their lives with the customs they know from the "old country," trying to make a place for themselves - not fit in - to the new country. It is the second and more importantly the third generations that blend as well as they can.

If you don't like being in the same neighborhood with them, then it is time for you to move - because I guarantee,m they aren't going anywhere soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City